Kodak sponsorship with Disney Parks to end this year

the.dreamfinder

I wonder if someone like Canon or Nikon might be interested in being the official camera of WDW. They might not sell cameras in the parks but they might pay for that kind of advertisement and brand awareness.
I sure hope so. So many folks bring DSLRS to the parks nowadays so I could certainly see either company running a camera repair/printing shop.

Because Canon is a bigger company, I would imagine that they would be interested in picking up that spot.

DisneySaint

If that were true, no one would ever do it. There would be no names on stadiums, the blimp floating above football games would just have "Blimp" written on the side and GM would have not just dumped millions into a Test Track re-do.

I was specific about theme parks, not anything else. I think that's completely different. Everyone knows Heinz Field or Qualcomm Stadium or Raymond James Stadium. I don't think people walk out of Muppets knowing Kodak was the sponsor. Or get off SSE calling Siemens.

DocMcHulk

Well, I wonder what they will do for the Pre Show now for Muppet*Vision as the construction muppets lift up 2 Kodak Signs on each side of the 3 tv screens as this video shows...]
I THOUGHT there was some Kodak placement in the video, thanks for posting. I am curious as well.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was specific about theme parks, not anything else. I think that's completely different. Everyone knows Heinz Field or Qualcomm Stadium or Raymond James Stadium. I don't think people walk out of Muppets knowing Kodak was the sponsor. Or get off SSE calling Siemens.
It has been estimated that companies spend $500 billion a year on advertising. Large companies Like Wal-Mart, Ford, AT&T, etc spend between $2-$4 billion a year on it. Do you honestly think that they do not do even basic research to see if they are getting a positive return on their advertising budget? We are not talking a few grand for a web site. Companies pour millions into sponsoring attractions. If companies like GM, Siemens and Sylvania could not prove that they were getting their money's worth from the dollars they pit into Disney, they would not do it.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

"I got a Nikon camera, I love to take a photograph. So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away."

Sad to see such an iconic sponsor leave the parks but maybe we'll get that Mt. Fuji coaster now...

bunnyman

Yup, they missed the boat on Digital film and it bit them in the .

Ironically, they sold off many of their digital assets/rights during the 1990’s because they didn’t think the technology had staying power. I know one company that purchased some of this for basically peanuts!

DisneySaint

It has been estimated that companies spend $500 billion a year on advertising. Large companies Like Wal-Mart, Ford, AT&T, etc spend between $2-$4 billion a year on it. Do you honestly think that they do not do even basic research to see if they are getting a positive return on their advertising budget? We are not talking a few grand for a web site. Companies pour millions into sponsoring attractions. If companies like GM, Siemens and Sylvania could not prove that they were getting their money's worth from the dollars they pit into Disney, they would not do it.

I agree completely, actually. Which is why sponsorships come and go at attractions. I think a Chevy display with actual cars to look at and play with is very different than slapping a Kodak logo in a Muppet video and a sign outside. A lot of it has to to with the effort of the company.

I don't think corporate sponsorship of attractions in Dinsey, in most cases, is a very symbiotic relationship. Disney is winning in the deal.

DisneySaint

So being as Kodak is no longer sponsoring, how am I to know where to take a picture from if the Kodak Picture Spots are gone?

Funny you say that because 99% of those (and I noticed this especially when I was in the park last week) are so ridiculously obvious. Like do I really need you to give me a tip to take a picture of the castle?

Clever Name

At Disneyland I went to the Kodak photo spots with my Brownie camera and I lined up the shots as the instructions directed. When I got home and had the film developed, the photos looked terrible! Years later I went to Kodak photo spots in WDW and used my Instamatic camera to get great shots, yet when I got home those photos looked nothing like the example photos at the Kodak photo spots. I used their cameras, I bought their film and followed their instructions to the letter but my photos never looked as good as the Kodak examples.

It wasn't until years later that I discovered that all those Kodak example photos were taken by professional photographers using top of the line Hasselblad cameras. And while the professional photographer used Kodak film, you can be sure that the pro never let a Kodak lab develop the film.

ZmBe13

Did he work in Rochester? Sounds like he had a lot of pride in his work @ Kodak.

Poor managment making bad decisions can take down a giant quickly.

I live in Rochester, NY. It has been sad to watch over the past decade as Kodak has demolished over 100 buildings at Kodak Industrial Park. I used to be a part of the IBEW local 86, so i helped to dismantle some of those massive buildings.

njDizFan

I often consider how these companies could properly evaluate the value of a sponsership. I understand it is more about brand recognition and having your logo present which will make the the consumer more comfortable with their purchasing decisions. But how can you possibily evaluate that? I guess that's why there are corporate accountants and marketing managers and pr reps and so on that can justify their decisions

maryszhi

i honestly can say I never thought I would see the day that this would happen, as well as the fact that kodak is slowly exiting the camera and film market. Its such a shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom