Knock First

Ryan Toaddy

Original Poster
So I recently stayed at Pop Century and I know this is going to sound down right bizarre. We arrived late to the resort and were driving a rental car. I was giving a room in the 80's section and when I opened the door to our room there were suitcases on the bed. I exited the room and called the front desk who assured me that they probably delivered someone's suitcase to the wrong room and they would be down to get them. So I reopened the door, this time turning the lights on and saw a cooler, gift bags, etc. and it was very obvious that there was someone staying in the room. I called again and was assured that no one was staying in the room but I left the area and went down to the pool area and continued talking to the staff who wanted me to stay at the room so they could come get my luggage and move me to a different room. I looked up from the table by the pool just in time to see the tenants of that hotel room return and not be able to get inside as their magic bands were now deactivated. So long story short, and I know it sounds odd, BUT KNOCK FIRST. I would say I avoided a possibly dangerous situation when I was opening the door to that occupied hotel room at 11:30 pm and never would have thought to knock on the door just in case. Just thought I would share :)

R W B

So I recently stayed at Pop Century and I know this is going to sound down right bizarre. We arrived late to the resort and were driving a rental car. I was giving a room in the 80's section and when I opened the door to our room there were suitcases on the bed. I exited the room and called the front desk who assured me that they probably delivered someone's suitcase to the wrong room and they would be down to get them. So I reopened the door, this time turning the lights on and saw a cooler, gift bags, etc. and it was very obvious that there was someone staying in the room. I called again and was assured that no one was staying in the room but I left the area and went down to the pool area and continued talking to the staff who wanted me to stay at the room so they could come get my luggage and move me to a different room. I looked up from the table by the pool just in time to see the tenants of that hotel room return and not be able to get inside as their magic bands were now deactivated. So long story short, and I know it sounds odd, BUT KNOCK FIRST. I would say I avoided a possibly dangerous situation when I was opening the door to that occupied hotel room at 11:30 pm and never would have thought to knock on the door just in case. Just thought I would share :)
I've never walked in on any one but I have knocked a couple times on hotel doors and as I walk in I always say hello or something.

One time my fiancé and I rented a large 3 bd room condo and after checking in we went and grabbed dinner. Came back and I heard voices when I walked in, sent my fiancé back to the truck and I walked in and found that I forgot that I left a tv on when we left haha.

Almost the exact same thing happened to my family, but it was at the Contemporary many years ago (way before Magic Bands...maybe 2004?) It was before BLT and we were out in the far wings, so after MUCH walking and hauling our suitcases out there, we finally opened the door and lo and behold, suitcases and stuff everywhere! It was late, my brother and I were cranky (and he really really had to go to the bathroom...which he went ahead and did haha), and eventually we had to haul everything back up to the front desk and they assigned us a new room. I guess the previous tenants had decided to stay a little longer but hadn't informed the front desk yet. Either way, it was eerie popping into an occupied room late at night when we were tired from travel and it's not something I'd ever want to do again, that's for sure!

CAPTAIN HOOK

I would say I avoided a possibly dangerous situation when I was opening the door to that occupied hotel room at 11:30 pm and never would have thought to knock on the door just in case. Just thought I would share :)
OMG - Imagine if you'd walked in and they were in bed, you know, not sleeping.................. :eek:

I meant they were in bed watching TV - what did you think I meant ????

DizneyPryncess

This exact same thing happened to a friend of mine a few years ago at the Wilderness Lodge. They checked in, got their room, opened the door, and other people's things were in there. The people were not there. They went back down & told the front desk. They got a new room a few hours later when one was ready, and in it was a basket of goodies w/an apology. They ended up having a great stay, but I remember that really freaking them out!

Ryan Toaddy

Original Poster
This exact same thing happened to a friend of mine a few years ago at the Wilderness Lodge. They checked in, got their room, opened the door, and other people's things were in there. The people were not there. They went back down & told the front desk. They got a new room a few hours later when one was ready, and in it was a basket of goodies w/an apology. They ended up having a great stay, but I remember that really freaking them out!

That is what surprised me. I didn't get so much as an apology. I was assured that no one was suppose to be in that room, and requested a king bed and was told that room had the last one. I still had a great trip but it got off to a rocky start.

Ryan Toaddy

Original Poster
OMG - Imagine if you'd walked in and they were in bed, you know, not sleeping.................. :eek:

I meant they were in bed watching TV - what did you think I meant ????
I was thinking that I am from Phoenix and it seems that everyone has a gun out here. It isnt to smart to send someone into the wrong room at 11:30 at night, If you get what I'm saying.:cautious:

zurgandfriend

The same thing happened to us at the Wilderness Lodge, I opened the door and saw luggage, we were using the DME so all we had were our carry on luggage. The front desk said sorry, checked our bags and we headed to the Magic Kingdom, when we got back they said sorry again and gave us a new room on the club level.

Lucky

I was thinking that I am from Phoenix and it seems that everyone has a gun out here. It isnt to smart to send someone into the wrong room at 11:30 at night, If you get what I'm saying.:cautious:
That's basically what I said at the Pop front desk when this happened to me.

SweetEvangeline

This happened to us the night of our wedding! Not at Disney though. We got to the hotel really late and were exhausted after the events of the day. We hauled our luggage up the steps and when we tried to open the door it was chained. Thank God the occupants had the sense to chain it or we would have gone in and flipped on the light. We had to haul our luggage which was packed for a 7 day cruise back to the car as they only offered drive thru check in at that time of night. Scary!!

Ryan Toaddy

Original Poster
I am pretty disturbed at the amount of people that this has happened to. I knew I was not the first, but I figured it was extremely rare.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Do people in Phoenix shoot first and ask questions later?

Ryan Toaddy

Original Poster
Do people in Phoenix shoot first and ask questions later?
I work for a police department just West of Phoenix, and we truthfully do not have a lot of shootings, but probably average one a week. That does not seem like a lot for here, but I know that there is a lot of places that have one shooting a year. My wife grew up in a small town in Montana and they still talk about the homicide of '03 like it was the biggest event in the city's history. We call that "Monday" here. Lol. It does seem like everyone around here does have a gun. I love the tourists that I see in stores that freak out when they see someone with a gun on their hip in Wal-Mart. I laugh now, but that was totally me when I moved here from Ohio 15 years ago.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I work for a police department just West of Phoenix, and we truthfully do not have a lot of shootings, but probably average one a week. That does not seem like a lot for here, but I know that there is a lot of places that have one shooting a year. My wife grew up in a small town in Montana and they still talk about the homicide of '03 like it was the biggest event in the city's history. We call that "Monday" here. Lol. It does seem like everyone around here does have a gun. I love the tourists that I see in stores that freak out when they see someone with a gun on their hip in Wal-Mart. I laugh now, but that was totally me when I moved here from Ohio 15 years ago.
Sounds like the "Wild West"... is there a reason why people still carry guns like they are "Billy The Kid" ?

Truly curious as it seems a little barbaric.

Last edited:

Zortek

How many of those shootings are because people are given the wrong room at a hotel? This actually happened to me many years ago when I was in New York City on business and was staying at a somewhat shady hotel. The people in the room that I opened looked pretty sketchy and I definitely thought I was in danger. I would much rather it happen at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom