Kilimanjaro Safari bridge question

JIMINYCR

Maybe Disney could set it up so that when the second truck comes too fast that at least a strobe light flashes on it to give the perception of movement. :cautious:

Maybe we can get the Safari drivers to brake hard a couple of times and swerve side to side and scream or give some other sound affects to simulate impending doom.... if the bridge effect isnt activated. They can at least improvise so we get a thrill that way. ;)

pug

I apologize in advance if this has been brought up or mentioned before, but has there been a permanent change to the rickety bridge in the Kilimanjaro Safaris attraction?

Before, when the safari truck went to cross the bridge it would tilt or drop like it was going to fall or collapse. However, when I visited AK yesterday (11/18) the bridge did absolutely nothing. The driver mentioned the dangerous bridge and how bad it looked and commented we were going to go over it really slowly and carefully, but to my surprise nothing ever happened--the bridge didn't budge.

Just wondering if this was a permanent/planned change or if just something might have been wrong with the bridge on this particular day.
It did that to me today :) I hate it!

doctornick

The first time I rode this with my wife (I had been on it before, she had not), I acted all scared as we approached the bridge and it shook and she totally freaked out. I LMAO afterwards. She totally got it later that it was just an effect but she really thought we were going to go off the bridge.

Captain Hank

It could be a number of factors. The bridge only tilts for safari trucks. If a vehicle that isn't a safari truck (such as an Animal Programs truck or a Wild Africa Trek truck) goes over the bridge, the tilting effect will not activate. After that, a safari truck will have to cross the bridge to reset it--this vehicle will also not experience the tilting effect. The next safari truck will experience a full tilting effect. If a safari truck is driving too fast on the bridge itself, the tilting effect will not activate (and the bridge will also not tilt for the next truck). It should be a steady, slow speed for the effect to activate. The driver will actually know whether or not he or she will be experiencing the effect based on a number of lighting cues both before and on the bridge itself. Even if the bridge is not going to tilt, there will still be a sound effect of creaking metal.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
A show effect board would govern this easily (and I imagine does.). A fail safe is a must for guest safety. Writing in C+ on an arduino uno or similar, all the related effects would be on a continuous loop. The board "listens" for it's queue and activates the whole program if all the conditions have been met. If the speed condition is not met, the bridge will not move but the sound may play. If the timing condition is not met, nothing will happen. I imagine these effects are reflector based optical for position and RF or similar for Identification. A simple 4 to 6 condition program makes this happen or not. When there is heavy traffic, you are more unlikely to be presented this effect at all.

Simple "check with me" show controls exist in all amusement and themed attractions. The are reliable, cheap, and easily maintained. It easier to not present something in favor of guest safety and "good Show" than to present something potential dangerous or "Bad Show". (You all just said Duh....)

*1023*

Voxel

President of Progress City
It doesn't do it for every truck. Either its a 'reset' time or just random. Pretty sure its just a counter between how often it happens, though - so if there are too many trucks close together, it will not activate for all of them.
I believe it's related to the Reset and timing of the attraction. In my experience the tilt doesn't operate anytime the attraction builds a line/queue due to animals wanting to be divas and stand in the middle of the road. Like wise when the attraction is running smoothly with no sudden stops or delays the tilt function seems to work. I would say it has to do with maintain the attractions pace and moving quest. Perhaps once the wait time gets over a certain level the feature turns off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom