Kilimanjaro Safari at night?

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
With AK open later, I was wondering about the Kilimanjaro Safari at night. How is the experience? What do you actually see?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It is excellent and very different to the usual version.

There's a fantastic lighting system throughout the whole ride that does a good job of "movie moonlight" and being cooler the animals tend to be out more.

Dafid Duck

Original Poster
Are the animals still able to walk right up to the truck in the dark? It sounds like a fantastic ride; something you couldn't do anywhere else. I'm also a little concerned with a rhino suddenly coming out of the dark and walking along side the vehicle.

parkhopper1213

Last Christmas Break we did the night safari and frankly didn't care for it. The drivers shined lights into the animals's eyes and they seemed bothered by it. Dusk would be a nice time to do the safari.

Herdman

We did the safari at night on our trip last November and thought it was great. We went during the day on another visit to the AK during our stay, and it was pretty cool to see the contrast between the two experiences.

denyuntilcaught

Just did it in August and had a great time. The safari looks completely different, although a little spooky. Had little-to-no line either (10-15 mins tops I believe.) Do it!

DfromATX

We did it last July. I think the animals were out, but it was too hard for me to see anything. We're gonna go for early morning next time, like rope drop to see how it differs.

disney4life2008

To say there are fantastic lighting systems is a stretch.

I highly recommend doing the day time and night time safari. I think there are certain species that are more active at night. My last night safari was after a rain storm and all the animals were out.

disney4life2008

Are the animals still able to walk right up to the truck in the dark? It sounds like a fantastic ride; something you couldn't do anywhere else. I'm also a little concerned with a rhino suddenly coming out of the dark and walking along side the vehicle.

I would not be concerned at all. They have video all throughout and indicators of when to stop and go.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

We done it at night during the DVC member event and it was by far the best ride I've ever had on it. The lions were VERY active and we even seen a crocodile moving. The CM said even she never saw the crocodiles moving. I can't recommend it enough at night.

GVentola

Last year, I rode the night safari. There were a bunch of antelopes known as Addax frolicking near the road, and one of them slipped on the wet mud, and ended up right underneath the vehicle. The driver stopped, of course, and keepers had to come and make sure the addax got out and was okay. This took several minutes, but eventually, the uninjured addax was free, and walked off to join his friends.

Demeter Tess

It's worth doing once, but we prefer early morning safaris. (Although I've never seen more active animals than when it rains! Worth it!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom