Kids with ADHD

jensenmom72

Original Poster
How have you explained this for a DAS? There will be times we won't need it but there will be times we will especially when meds are wearing off before we can give him his shorter acting dose. Thanks in advance. Y'all always help and give me good ideas

arko

You need to explain why staying in the line is a problem. The DAS is basically a way to wait for a ride but do it outside of the regular lines.
Also you will need to remember that even with a DAS you still have to make your way through the FP line which is usually about 10 minutes or less.

arko

My son has ADHD and has meds. Maybe he has a lighter ADHD than others but we have never even considered the card for that.
Yes it will come down to, can they wait in the line or not. The waiting itself will not be alievated by the DAS, just where you wait.

ItlngrlBella

Have you called guest services (if they have a disability contact) and explain the situation to see if there is anything further they suggest that you can do/bring?

jensenmom72

Original Poster
You need to explain why staying in the line is a problem. The DAS is basically a way to wait for a ride but do it outside of the regular lines.
Also you will need to remember that even with a DAS you still have to make your way through the FP line which is usually about 10 minutes or less.
He can handle 20 -30 min waits in line. Longer than that he needs to move around. He needs to be able to move while waiting. I am not expecting to be given a shorter wait per say just if the wait is an hour let us come back in an hour and wait a shorter amount of actual time in line. I hope this makes sense. ;)

arko

He can handle 20 -30 min waits in line. Longer than that he needs to move around. He needs to be able to move while waiting. I am not expecting to be given a shorter wait per say just if the wait is an hour let us come back in an hour and wait a shorter amount of actual time in line. I hope this makes sense. ;)
Then he should be fine with a DAS. Just let them know he has a hard time managing the confinement associated with waiting in line. I would also use your FP+ times, this will reduce your need for the DAS for those rides that you get a FP for.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
But generally speaking you don't have stationary lines.

Weather_Lady

Are you visiting during a "high crowd" time of year or a more manageable time? If the latter, and if you make wise use of FP+, a good touring plan and rope drop arrivals (and/or EMH), you may find that you don't typically need to be in a line for more than a few minutes. (That doesn't mean you don't want to be aware of how to utilize the DAS system if you need it -- you should! -- I just wanted to encourage you not to be overly worried about longer lines being too much of an issue on your trip, since most can be avoided with good pre-planning.)

We typically go when crowds are rated 4/5 out of 10 (in touringplans.com parlance) -- e.g., early October, early May, etc. -- and except for one time when Big Thunder Mountain Railroad broke down while we were in line, I can't think of when we've waited more than 15 minutes or so for an attraction. Then again, I really, really love making and tweaking touring plans in order to shave off the maximum amount of wait time. There are some great ones available online, or if you are a touringplans subscriber, you can make and refine your own customized, optimized plans that will take into account the dates of your visit, projected crowd levels, which attractions you want to visit and how many times, rest breaks, ADRs, FP+s, desired walking speed, etc. (I certainly sympathize with you: DH is laid-back, but both of my children and I have [unmedicated] ADD/ADHD issues, and while none of us have them severely enough to merit the use of DAS, every minute we can save in line is precious to our sanity, and to that of anyone who has to be around us! )

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom