Kids/preteens and cell phones

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
My kids are getting to the point where I am begrudgingly accepting the fact we'll have to buy them cell phones. One facet of them owning phones is how will they be used in WDW.

Any thoughts, or suggestions, for kids carrying cellphones. My pockets are large enough to manage a phone, but the clothes they wear (two girls) are such that it may not be that feasible. I'm looking for a solution that reduces the risk of them taking it out on a ride and leaving it there.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Bum bags are back in fashion I've seen quite a few cute ones in various junior clothing stores. Also tell them you do not replace lost phones and mean it or you're going to have a problem

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Bum bags are back in fashion
Thanks, that is an option but I have to disagree that packs are back in fashion. My kids laugh at my wife when she wears one at WDW. Its definitely a very workable solution to be sure, but I'm not sure my kids would want to be seen wearing packs (or as my kids call them Granny packs)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thanks, that is an option but I have to disagree that ***** packs are back in fashion. My kids laugh at my wife when she wears one at WDW. Its definitely a very workable solution to be sure, but I'm not sure my kids would want to be seen wearing ***** packs (or as my kids call them Granny packs)
In that case a small cross body bag with a zipper so it doesn't fall out. Good luck

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
In that case a small cross body bag with a zipper so it doesn't fall out. Good luck
Yeah, that's one of the things my wife mentioned and that might be doable. I'm also kicking around the idea of an arm band type solution. I used one for running. They mentioned the armband case, and while on paper that seems like a decent solution I wonder if that's something that will work for them in practice.

Thanks again for your suggestions :)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yeah, that's one of the things my wife mentioned and that might be doable. I'm also kicking around the idea of an arm band type solution. I used one for running. They mentioned the armband case, and while on paper that seems like a decent solution I wonder if that's something that will work for them in practice.

Thanks again for your suggestions :)
Arm band in the heat and humidity of Florida? and you're very welcome. BTW mark the phones with your phone# just in case!

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Arm band in the heat and humidity of Florida? and you're very welcome. BTW mark the phones with your phone# just in case!
Yep, that's my exact concern. They see me wearing it for running, but they don't realize how warm that gets. I don't usually wear it for anything else either.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The simple advice is to start cheep and get insurance. Most kids tend treat electronics with the care and attention they would give a random rock they found on the sidewalk. Even if they don't their fiends do.

Once the prove they can keep a iFone by Fapple alive for a year then they can upgrade to something better.

It is also a good idea to send data limit alerts to you as well as them to avoid overages.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Thanks, we're making those decisions and rules to be sure, but this thread is more about how best to manage the phone in the parks to limit risk of loss or damage. :)

btw, if my kids treated their electronics similar to a rock found on the sidewalk, we'd not be having this discussion. They're at a point where their maturity and responsibilities have reached a point where I'm willing to take a chance.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks, we're making those decisions and rules to be sure, but this thread is more about how best to manage the phone in the parks to limit risk of loss or damage. :)

btw, if my kids treated their electronics similar to a rock found on the sidewalk, we'd not be having this discussion. They're at a point where their maturity and responsibilities have reached a point where I'm willing to take a chance.
Most modern cell phones will fit in a pocket. I have never had a problem simply keeping it there.

Baring that, since most girls clothes don't seem to have pockets, a purse, small clutch or or simply carrying it is about the only option.

If they are anything like my girls, you will not get them to wear a pack if their life depended on it.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Most modern cell phones will fit in a pocket. I have never had a problem simply keeping it there.

Baring that, since most girls clothes don't seem to have pockets, a purse, small clutch or or simply carrying it is about the only option.

If they are anything like my girls, you will not get them to wear a ***** pack if their life depended on it.
That's because they don't have a plush Figment one:D

danitaytay

I'm not sure if you'd like to hear my opinion as I am a teenager, but I learned an extremely valuable lesson about cell phones in Disney World.
It was actually in Universal when it happened, but I was 13 at the time with my first iphone. My mom had bought a cute little wristlet for me from Target that would be fine with if it got wet, ripped slightly, etc. just so I could take it in the parks with me. I had my phone in it, my Ray Bans, my digital camera, and a few other smaller items. Considering my age, that wristlet held my life in it during that trip. Unfortunately, I guess I wasn't paying attention in the bathroom at IOA when the wristlet slipped off my wrist in the stall and the woman who went in it after me snatched my wristlet and ran out before I noticed the wristlet was missing off my body. Fortunately for me, after three hours of scouring the parks with security and crying about everything I'd lost, someone said the lady who stole it must've gotten guilty and dropped my bag in the middle of one of the gift stores. So I learned my lesson.
If I was going to be a mature teenager in a theme park with my cell phone, I was going to either need something that couldn't be taken of my body or my mom was going to have to hold it for me.
I ended up finding a small Vera Bradley backup during our last trip in 2013 and it was my life. It fit everything I needed perfectly, was lightweight, and I didn't feel nervous about anyone being able to steal it off my body. I ended up checking inside the backpack every 10 minutes just to make sure everything was there, but i think I was just paranoid from my last experience, lol.

I hope that helped!

JennSmith

What about a Flipbelt?
FlipBelt-Black-Medium-0-1.jpg
pink_stuff-900x600.jpg

righttrack

They probably will do best with the wallet/wristband combo. It's the least intrusive and a good way to hold your phone close and still hear it:

410109_KHNKG_9769_001_100_0037_Light-GG-Supreme-wrist-wallet.jpg

StarWarsGirl

My 14 year old brother has no cell phone, but he does have an iPod touch. He has to keep it in his backpack in the zipper section unless we are sitting down (on a bench, waiting for dinner, etc) and then he puts it right back. Cinch bags with zipper sections work really well for our family. Everyone carries their own stuff, and important stuff can be zippered in. I have an Adidas bag that I really like.

Another option is an over-the-shoulder bag just large enough for the phone, which is what I do with mine. I have this one from Disney (if you want to do that).
http://www.disneystore.com/minnie-mouse-crossbody-smartphone-case/mp/1394099/1026404/

I also have this one. Sadly, it does not fit a larger phone.
http://www.disneystore.com/disney-parks-classic-collage-smartphone-case/mp/1343335/1000235/

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Small cross body bag is best. Amazon has a large selection - make sure to include them in the selection but establish parameters, like price.

Frankly, I would buy them a simple cell phone, i.e., not a smart phone. Which you can pick up at just about any store, like Walmart, Sears, etc. And get one of those that you load minutes on. Most plain old cell phones can text message. That way you don't have to worry about your daughters spending their time at WDW with their noses buried in their phones (and accessing sites on the internet you don't want them to go to). And if you need to get in touch with them, you have the additional option to text. My daughter was well into her teens before i got her a smart phone - actually, I think she didn't get one until she graduated from high school. Now her nose is constantly buried in her Samsung....

Oh, and as others have said, make sure to get insurance if offered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom