Kids Clubs on Board: my kids don't speak english

geomelin

Original Poster
HI

I will be on a Disney Cruise on July 2015. My kids don't speak english but only greek.
Would it be a problem to stay and participate in the activities.
Do you thing the Cast Members would allow us parents to be with them and make some translation?

Thanks

Bolna

During the normal program in the kids club, you will not be allowed to stay around. But there is some time every day which is called open house when everyone is allowed to come and play. You could go with your kids during this time.

Have you thought about trying your kids some basic English before you go? Kids usually are good at picking up languages and if they at least have some very basic skills, they might be able to take part? I don't think there will be a kids club CM who speaks Greek.

geomelin

Original Poster
Thanks Bolna

My oldest girl knows some english (mostly words and some basic sentences). My only solution then is to have her stay with her little sister and make the "translation" where is possible!

Bolna

How old are your two girls? The Occeaneers Club and Lab are one big kids club for ages 3 to 12. So if they both fall into that age range, they will be fine to stay together.

When you bring them there for the first time, or even when you register, you should definitely talk to the CMs about this. On the first day there is always an open house in the afternoon and you will be able to show them around and maybe a CM can explain everything to you so that you can translate it for your kids.

MaryJaneP

Maybe flash cards/translation guidebook can be given to CM or Club so important activities can be understood by both sides. It may be more work, but contacting DCL beforehand to learn of some of the activities that will be offered, the proper way to ask if your child wants to participate, and getting advance agreement with your children (do they know?) could work. Best of luck.

geomelin

Original Poster
Thanks for your answers!

Let's say we get over with the language barrier regarding their participation in the activities.

How about their safety in a place where you don't speak the language of the others who surround you?
What's your opinion about that?
As parents shall we feel ok about their safety on the ship's clubs?

Thanks again

Bolna

Thanks for your answers!

Let's say we get over with the language barrier regarding their participation in the activities.

How about their safety in a place where you don't speak the language of the others who surround you?
What's your opinion about that?
As parents shall we feel ok about their safety on the ship's clubs?

Thanks again

Are you thinking about ship emergencies? Like when the ship has to be evacuated? I would suggest that you talk to the counsellors at the kids clubs about their procedures in emergencies and then decide if you think your kids will be safe enough. I am sure that the counsellors are used to having kids with limited English and they will be able to advise you.

Otherwise, the kids clubs are safe. Nobody besides you will be allowed to pick up the kids. It is all tracked by the bands the kids get when they go to the club. There are portable phones on the ship and if your kids want to be picked up or need to be picked up, the kids club will contact you through the phone. So, if something happens, they will be able to get in touch with you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom