Kids bringing their friends???

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Hello All. I'm already planning our trip for next year and we haven't even gone on our trip yet this year!! - 37 days till take off!!!

Anyway, I was thinking about letting my step kids (the big kids: DS 15 & DD 13) bring a friend next year when we go. When we go next year our baby will be between 12 and 18 months (depending on when we go), so I want the older kids to have some freedom.

Has anyone ever done this before?? If so, do you recommend it or no?? Pros? Cons?

Thanks a million! :cool:

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
the only thing I will say bringing friends is it is easier with even numbers. with older kids doing things with even numbers works better as as 3s always have an extra that is left out

Good thinking. Thanks for the advice. :rolleyes:

buseegal

it was not Disney but there are people in Nashville that think we had 4 girls not the 2 that we have. granted it was years ago but we traveled in a mini van to Nashville. I always said it was easier with 4 girls than our 2.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
it was not Disney but there are people in Nashville that think we had 4 girls not the 2 that we have. granted it was years ago but we traveled in a mini van to Nashville. I always said it was easier with 4 girls than our 2.

Yeah because they kept each other occupied and your kids probably fought less if at all :)

EOD K9

You should also figure out a few things. How well do you know their friends? Maybe have a sleep over, see how they act when with you for an extended time. Also try to figure the costs.....are they paying for entrance and meals? transportation? are you picking up some of the tab? Just some random thoughts.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
You should also figure out a few things. How well do you know their friends? Maybe have a sleep over, see how they act when with you for an extended time. Also try to figure the costs.....are they paying for entrance and meals? transportation? are you picking up some of the tab? Just some random thoughts.
Great Ideas!! Thanks

Weather_Lady

I concur with @EOD K9's advice! If you choose to let the kids bring friends, you need to "audition" them, first. Be sure that you can trust them around your family. They need to understand (and demonstrate respect for) your rules and your authority, and you need to be aware of what their particular needs/quirks/expectations are, because bringing the "wrong" friend could easily ruin the trip for everybody.

If I were in your shoes, I'd forgo the friend-bringing altogether, and expect the two teen siblings to take the opportunity to go off and have adventures with each other! :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
@EOD K9 has the right idea.

We have three kids and all of them have been able to take a friend at one time or another.

When it goes well, the experience is neither really all that better than going without the extra kid. Your child might enjoy it more, but that is about it.

However, when it goes wrong, things can go south really quick. We had one instance where the extra kid turned her nose up at pretty much ever place we went to eat, did not want to go on any attractions and was just generally unpleasant for the entire weekend.

Had this been any longer than a weekend trip I would of had her flown home.

Finances can also be a pretty big deal. We always had the policy that if we invited a friend, we picked up the entire tab. If you can't afford to do that you will need to get who pays for what settled before you do anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom