Kevin Feige Says A Partnership With Fox For X-MEN Or FANTASTIC FOUR Is An "Impossibility"

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aven...says-a-partnership-with-fox-for-x-men-a146994

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 didn't live up to Sony's expectations, but it was far from a flop, and the studio could have very easily pushed forward with both its planned sequels to that movie and the spinoffs revolving around the Sinister Six, Venom, and, er, Aunt May. Instead though, they made a historic deal with Marvel Studios to bring the wall-crawler into the MCU in Captain America: Civil War.

So, with X-Men: Apocalypse vastly underperforming and Fantastic Four proving to be a huge flop, surely Marvel could make a deal with Fox to bring those characters into this world too, right? Not a chance.

"It’s an impossibility at this juncture," Kevin Feige told Variety when they asked him exactly that. "We certainly have enough films to keep us busy for a number of lifetimes." So, it really doesn't sound as if the relationship between the two studios has got any better, and Feige sadly doesn't actually sound remotely interesting in bringing any of those characters into Marvel's Phase 4 or beyond for now.

As for another rival studio in the form of Warner Bros. and its DC Films Universe, it doesn't sound like he's sweating the competition right now. "What other people are adapting from the comics medium, I watch with as much interest as I do any other movies. Because I’m a fan, and I want to see what other people are doing in the world. I’ve always believed in expanding the definition of what a Marvel Studios movie could be. We try to keep audiences coming back in greater numbers by doing the unexpected and not simply following a pattern or a mold or a formula."

jensenrick

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aven...says-a-partnership-with-fox-for-x-men-a146994

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 didn't live up to Sony's expectations, but it was far from a flop, and the studio could have very easily pushed forward with both its planned sequels to that movie and the spinoffs revolving around the Sinister Six, Venom, and, er, Aunt May. Instead though, they made a historic deal with Marvel Studios to bring the wall-crawler into the MCU in Captain America: Civil War.

So, with X-Men: Apocalypse vastly underperforming and Fantastic Four proving to be a huge flop, surely Marvel could make a deal with Fox to bring those characters into this world too, right? Not a chance.

"It’s an impossibility at this juncture," Kevin Feige told Variety when they asked him exactly that. "We certainly have enough films to keep us busy for a number of lifetimes." So, it really doesn't sound as if the relationship between the two studios has got any better, and Feige sadly doesn't actually sound remotely interesting in bringing any of those characters into Marvel's Phase 4 or beyond for now.

As for another rival studio in the form of Warner Bros. and its DC Films Universe, it doesn't sound like he's sweating the competition right now. "What other people are adapting from the comics medium, I watch with as much interest as I do any other movies. Because I’m a fan, and I want to see what other people are doing in the world. I’ve always believed in expanding the definition of what a Marvel Studios movie could be. We try to keep audiences coming back in greater numbers by doing the unexpected and not simply following a pattern or a mold or a formula."

Good.

Matt_Black

Except there already was a concession, small as it may be- it's been reported that Marvel got the rights to use Ego the Living Planet in exchange for the substantial changes made to Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool.

Matt_Black

Not that simple. FOX knows what the potential for that is, or at least the characters, and wants to keep it. If they were to sell, it would be for a ridiculously large amount.

spacemt354

Chili's
Spider-Man was something where it'd change the fabric of the MCU for years to come, and for Marvel/Disney to have a deal now where they work with Sony to develop the films, tie him in with the MCU, and can use Spidey in stuff like Civil War and Infinity War...That's definitely worth it because Spidey is Marvel's most lucrative character.

Fantastic Four has had three attempts at a good movie and has been mediocre at best. The MCU is so crowded right now with film franchises lined up (Dr Strange, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, etc) that adding another franchise -- rebooting it, somehow tying it into the MCU, and have to work an agreement with Fox to loan the characters, would probably be too much of a hassle.

What I could see them do is propose a trade or agreement of some kind to use Galactus (who I believe is owned by Fox) for future Avengers films post-Thanos. Either him or Dormammu would make good villains.

Matt_Black

FOX isn't stupid. They know that Galactus (and associated characters) would be VERY valuable to any Phase 4 and beyond plans Marvel may have. So they'd ask for a lot. I can't imagine Marvel having anything currently they'd be willing to barter. Maybe more leniency on how X-characters are portrayed, and FOX would probably want more, like TV rights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom