Just when you thought there was no more money to be made in the parking lots

Brad Bishop

That's Parking Lot Attendant theming!

I remember as a little boy playing with my parking lot attendant playset. I always wanted to be a parking lot attendant, but then I took an arrow inna knee.

I, unfortunately, could only "Like" this once. "Hey, Jimmy, what do you want to be when you grow up??" "A parking lot attendant."

BrerJon

CaptainAmerica

Just when you thought TDO had lowered the bar as far as they could, and they had hit the bottom in terms of standards... They unveil a shovel and start digging.
I'm sorry, in what way is this a bad thing? If you're thirsty or want a snack in the parking lot, this is an upgrade for you. If you're neither thirsty nor hungry, it doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever. People think that whenever Disney does something that makes money, it's a bad thing. What they ignore is that in order for Disney to make money, someone has to be willing to pay for it. For someone to pay for it, they must want it. Ergo, Disney doesn't make money unless they're giving people what they want.

They probably aren't making anything off of this any way. If you want a soda and there's nobody in the parking lot, you're just going to buy when when you get into the park. This is a guest service play that actually cannibalizes existing sales.

Um, they are partially themed and permanent and this is a golf cart in a parking lot with reflectorized CMs?
You can thank the government for that, not Disney. OSHA and whatnot.

PhilharMagician

It looks more like some swamp redneck got a bright idea selling alligator nuggets and beer so he whipped his rolling café into WDW to see if he can make a few bucks. I honestly hope that here is no way in heII TDO would put together that piece of garbage! Disappointing!!

There are already nice clean kiosks open by the ticket booths at the parks selling coffee, pastries and snacks. Not sure this is really needed.

The Empress Lilly

That's Parking Lot Attendant theming!

I remember as a little boy playing with my parking lot attendant playset. I always wanted to be a parking lot attendant, but then I took an arrow inna knee.
I vehemently disagree with everything you say, but that there is actually quite clever. A tacky parking lot vending booth themed to a tacky parking lot vending booth. =D

Eh, Disney's been known to build entire areas on that sort of thing, Dinoland comes to mind.

Luxe

I'm sorry, in what way is this a bad thing? If you're thirsty or want a snack in the parking lot, this is an upgrade for you. If you're neither thirsty nor hungry, it doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever. People think that whenever Disney does something that makes money, it's a bad thing. What they ignore is that in order for Disney to make money, someone has to be willing to pay for it. For someone to pay for it, they must want it. Ergo, Disney doesn't make money unless they're giving people what they want.

They probably aren't making anything off of this any way. If you want a soda and there's nobody in the parking lot, you're just going to buy when when you get into the park. This is a guest service play that actually cannibalizes existing sales.

You can thank the government for that, not Disney. OSHA and whatnot.

I can assure you they are making plenty on $3.25 chips, $2.25 fruit and $3.00 bottled water. Just because someone will pay for it doesn't mean it's a great business decision.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm sorry, in what way is this a bad thing?

If Disney rolled up a Good Humor truck along side the Polynesian Curb.. would you say it's a good thing?

Maybe that's not a good example.. given an ice cream truck is usually more put together than the golf cart plus CMs in hi-viz vests.

Disney used to do thing better than the crap your local high school kids thought up and threw together. Now it's just supported by 'well its something you want right? done! check.. disney quality achieved!'

Ragerunner

Are they doing similar upcharges at Disneyland CA, Paris, HK, etc. Example: The new bus system, tents to rent, selling food in the parking lots? Maybe WDW is hurting more than we know. Because some of this screams desperation.

The Empress Lilly

Are they doing similar upcharges at Disneyland CA, Paris, HK, etc. Example: The new bus system, tents to rent, selling food in the parking lots? Maybe WDW is hurting more than we know. Because some of this screams desperation.
These up charges and tacky quick buck schemes are not a sign of despair. But of strength. WDW was build so well, and became so popular because of it, it will still be filled to the brim even with exorbitant pricing and the most offensive money making schemes in a free democracy.

DLP by contrast is hurting, so there is a limit to how much they can insult their customers. So it has none of these 'extra guest offerings' (i.e. getting bend over)

drizgirl

These up charges and tacky quick buck schemes are not a sign of despair. But of strength. WDW was build so well, and became so popular because of it, it will still be filled to the brim even with exorbitant pricing and the most offensive money making schemes in a free democracy.

DLP by contrast is hurting, so there is a limit to how much they can insult their customers. So it has none of these 'extra guest offerings' (i.e. getting bend over)

OK, let me get this straight. The tackier the quick buck scheme, the more successful the business?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It looks more like some swamp redneck got a bright idea selling alligator nuggets and beer so he whipped his rolling café into WDW to see if he can make a few bucks. I honestly hope that here is no way in heII TDO would put together that piece of garbage! Disappointing!!

There are already nice clean kiosks open by the ticket booths at the parks selling coffee, pastries and snacks. Not sure this is really needed.

Um, When was the last time these kiosks were actually OPEN at park opening and closing 2006 or so I think?, Because if they were open there would be no need for the drink cart.

alphac2005

Sorry you feel that way but this is about standards.

This is about the WDW that used to be-- and no longer is-- because current management believes that "good enough" is good enough.

This is about a recent, ongoing and disturbing trend. This is about the fact that advertising $35 preferred parking at the front door to Epcot is embarrassing. Selling shanties for $650 a pop-- in Tomorrowland of all places-- is as tacky as it is cringeworthy.

This is about separating the guest from every last penny as they come and go-- and to heck with the consequences-- because we're on a mission to dumb down the experience so far that any discussion of providing a quality experience is seen as hopelessly critical banter from a bunch of malcontents.

A concession stand on wheels in the parking lot is so far beneath what WDW used to stand for that we can't understand why so many people can't see it for what it is.

I wish I had photos of what the EPCOT parking lot used to look like to share with you and others here, so you could realize, what with the tacky fake security stand and now the concession stand on wheels-- we really have come so far.

But definitely not in the direction the promise of a new tomorrow was supposed to take us. And that's what we're complaining about.

The picture looks straight out of a carnival being held at a small town fair where they pack ip the equipment and move to the next town when it's over. There are no standards left for them to break any longer.

One other quick observation, why are food and beverages needed to be offered every ten feet in this country? Based on the health data, a lot need the opposite.

MagicHappens1971

I understand the frustrations of all the upcharges Disney has been implementing recently, VIP express bus service? Like what goes through a TDO execs head to decide offering a $15 upcharge to put guests on "express" bus service. But adding a drink cart to a parking lot is a huge issue? A parking lot doesn't have a theme, it's gravel and parking trams. That's about it. I think it's nice to offer a drink cart before guests enter the park, because like on Main Street for example, unless you stop at Starbucks or Casey's, it's a while before you actually get to a cart for a quick drink.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom