Just purchased our airline tickets....

HRHPrincessAriel

Expedia, is there a better one?

Then I check SW against what I find on Expedia. With baggage fees at other airlines but not SW it always seems to be about even.
Also if you are an hour south of houston HOU makes more sense. I avoid IAH if possible. When I take my dance team we pay the bit extra it is for SWA.

BigTxEars

Try using Kayak, as it usually compares them all. I put in my app for a Disney Visa today, hopefully I'll know something soon.

Thanks.

I use mine all the time, then I pay if off online 2-3 times per week. It's only 1% back but it can add up :) But if I were to use it and not pay it off 2-3 times per week I think the interest would outpace the 1% back.

mickeysshoes

Round trip from Regan National (Washington DC) JetBlue is $228 each. Was $222 but I missed that so book the first day the price went up. I have Kayak watching the rates for me.

mickeysshoes

@BigTxEars we have been flying JetBlue for about 6 years now and we have only had trouble with them once. Plane was delayed (heading for a Disney Trip) 5 hours and they made it right. We got free one way tickets and gave us drinks and snacks while we waited. Kids and husband love having the in flight TV to help pass the time. Have always had great crews aboard. We have 3 airports local and I shop all 3 and pick the one with the flight times to meet our needs at the time. We have had some flight time changes when leaving out of IAD (Dulles, VA) but they have always called and left a message at home with the change in time. This happen months out of the actual day of the flight and it only changed by minutes so no big deal. Kayak will check JetBlue flight where is wont search on Southwest which would be our second choice to an airline. JetBlue also has one checked bag for FREE.

Weather_Lady

How is JetBlue, I have read they have cheap fares and then nickle and dime you to death.

We nearly always fly JetBlue. I'm not sure how anyone can say they "nickle and dime" anybody. The first checked bag flies free. (You get charged for additional checked bags or overweight bags, but that's the same with any airline). A complimentary snack and beverage of your choice are offered mid-flight. Onboard TV and Sirius XM radio are free, as is Wifi (now in beta testing with a free web browsing program through June) although it's true that if you don't bring your own headphones (the TVs use a standard one-prong jack, so even your old Walkman set will be compatible) you can purchase a pair for $1 or $2. There are other extras offered for a charge (pillow and blanket sets, meal boxes, alcoholic beverages, etc.), but again, I think nearly every airline charges extra for such things.

We've never paid a dime over our initial ticket charge in all the years we've flown JetBlue, and we have always found it to be a terrific experience.

draybook

Original Poster
I'd recommend Southwest over the rest. Not only are their fares cheap, but you get TWO checked bags for free PLUS your carry-on. So unless you're planning on taking all of your earthly possession with you, you can't beat that deal.

Weather_Lady

I'd recommend Southwest over the rest. Not only are their fares cheap, but you get TWO checked bags for free PLUS your carry-on. So unless you're planning on taking all of your earthly possession with you, you can't beat that deal.

That's true!

But for light packers traveling with family (like me), the TV and assigned seating are a tipping point in favor of JetBlue. (Plus, where I live, SW and JetBlue fares are neck-and-neck.) :) We have flown SW before, however, and I had no complaints.

BigTxEars

I have no issue trying JetBlue, just posting what I have read. We will see what the best overall deal is in Jan when we book that WDW trip. We are flying SW in June to go to WDW so I might have enough points after that for a free ticket so that may factor in for Jan. Thanks for the info though.

BigTxEars

I'm hoping that there aren't too many people using the Early Bird thing so we can get good window seats.

That is the only thing I don't care for on SW, there is a possibility that families with small kids could have to sit apart. Now I have been on many SW flights and it has never happened but it could.

Well that and I really do not eat peanuts....

:)

We have done the Earlybird a few times to make sure we can sit together. We are not this time. As long as my youngest (11yrs) can sit by me or the wife then that will be fine. If not then I feel bad for whatever stranger gets him in their row of seats :)

Weather_Lady

That is the only thing I don't care for on SW, there is a possibility that families with small kids could have to sit apart. Now I have been on many SW flights and it has never happened but it could.

Well that and I really do not eat peanuts....

:)

We have done the Earlybird a few times to make sure we can sit together. We are not this time. As long as my youngest (11yrs) can sit by me or the wife then that will be fine. If not then I feel bad for whatever stranger gets him in their row of seats :)

The one time my family flew SW, we did not purchase EarlyBird (I just stalked the website precisely 24 hours before our flights to check in) and we were able to get low (early) numbers in the B boarding group and still find seats together. There was a family with 2 children (they looked to get at least 8-10) that boarded dead last (they must have checked in at the airport that morning or something) and they were unable to sit together at all. Flight attendants asked if anyone would be willing to move, but nobody did, and the kids didn't look anxious about sitting alone, so the family reluctantly went to the last four available seats, which were spread all over the plane.

I read up extensively on SW's boarding procedures before we left, and my impression was that in most cases, I think as long as you're willing to hover and check in at exactly 24 hours out (and so long as your flight is not a connecting flight from somewhere else, meaning it could already contain dozens of passengers before you even board), EarlyBird is not a necessity if you want to find seats together (or at least in pairs). If worse comes to worst and you are "that family" at the end of the C group, you'll just have to depend on the kindness of strangers. :)

HRHPrincessAriel

The one time my family flew SW, we did not purchase EarlyBird (I just stalked the website precisely 24 hours before our flights to check in) and we were able to get low (early) numbers in the B boarding group and still find seats together. There was a family with 2 children (they looked to get at least 8-10) that boarded dead last (they must have checked in at the airport that morning or something) and they were unable to sit together at all. Flight attendants asked if anyone would be willing to move, but nobody did, and the kids didn't look anxious about sitting alone, so the family reluctantly went to the last four available seats, which were spread all over the plane.

I read up extensively on SW's boarding procedures before we left, and my impression was that in most cases, I think as long as you're willing to hover and check in at exactly 24 hours out (and so long as your flight is not a connecting flight from somewhere else, meaning it could already contain dozens of passengers before you even board), EarlyBird is not a necessity if you want to find seats together (or at least in pairs). If worse comes to worst and you are "that family" at the end of the C group, you'll just have to depend on the kindness of strangers. :)
ditto to all this!
I just check in 24 hours before and have usually been in A group or a low B

mickeysshoes

We use to SW without question but as of late JetBlue has had much better flight times and prices. We all use the large LL Bean rolling duffels so one bag each has not been an issue. We each packed for an 11 day land/sea trip with out own pillows and were just fine. (the only problem with the large duffels is getting 4 packed duffels in mid size car with the 4 of us....oh well cant have it all!!!)

draybook

Original Poster
Yeah I was wondering if I should use Early Bird, because if we couldn't sit together or in two groups of two my wife would have a meltdown.

Plus, I really want to get window seats for us to be able to see out since it's the wife and kids' first time flying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom