Just got to wdw..what's up with all the scooter's

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabreezept813

I noticed a lot of scooters and strollers on my last trip as well. I think both are being over used by guests. The stroller parking areas were laughable. A blob of strollers in front of every ride......so pretty, just so amazing. From my personal experience, Disney is best enjoyed when older. Sometimes I wonder why people even bother bringing a two-year old to the park or better yet, A BABY.

There are plenty of reasons people will bring young kids to the park. Maybe they live nearby, maybe they can afford it and it's more appropriate than a booze trip to Mexico. Disney is a family vacation. Sure, leave the newborns at home, but toddlers, etc. will enjoy the park in a different way than a kid old enough to do all the rides.

jloucks

Oh no no no way! I missed a scooter debate!? I feel somehow cheated. I need a way to get a text when these threads come up.

Anywho, as a new user, don't let curmudgeons dissuade you from posting. Forcing new users to use search is a power play designed to stagnate a message board. Some people live here and they forget that others, well, don't. Remember, nothing stops anybody from just ignoring a post. The surely response from some directing you to learn to use search is totally optional, easily avoided, and oh so very satisfying and should be viewed not as an insult, but as a way to make the critics feel good. Basically, you are being very kind and giving folks a good outlet. High-five!

Back to the topic... Long story short, we have two classes of entitled people duking it out. Those that feel they are entitled to mechanized access, and those that feel they are entitled to safe access. There is currently no win scenario as both parties are right depending on perspective and priorities.

See all of the above... and here are a few of my controversial thoughts form before....

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/scooter-accident.915106/page-16#post-7333277
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/scooter-accident.915106/page-16#post-7332792
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/scooter-accident.915106/page-14#post-7329460

DUFF+SURLY.PNG

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

Can we just have self driving scooters. Voice activated also.

Tourist: Take me to the American Adventure.

Scooter: Did you say Ellens Energy Adventure?

Tourist: No!

Scooter: I heard Joe. Joe is not a recognized destination.

Tourist: @"$&#

Would be so much fun for all.

seabreezept813

I'm not even going to speculate on the topic of who is in need of scooters BUT I am sitting in Hersheypark today here in PA on a fairly busy day in the park and I can tell you in the 9 hours I have been here I have seen a total of maybe 10 scooters and a much lower number of strollers as compared to WDW and the people who had both seemed far less insistent and belligerent as a whole than the crowds with the same wheeled transports at WDW. Just thought it was worth throwing out there for added meaningful discussion that perhaps Disney has bred an air of entitlement with wheeled conveyances the same as it has with its park guests....discuss.

I think that probably has to do with the fact that Hershey Park is more of a traditional theme park with rides that might not be doable for people who are disabled. Disney parks provide so many different types of attractions like theater shows, fireworks, slow-moving rides, that it provides more opportunities for people who cannot handle rollercoasters, spinny rides, etc. Personally, I love thrill rides and am luckily healthy enough to enjoy them. My mom however can't stomach spinners and doesn't like heights, which is why she loves Disney.

OliveMcFly

That's a tough call. Last year I had to get my mother a scooter because of a foot issue that no one could see. She did get a lot of stares.

Simba's Mom

Someone very famous once said, Don't judge lest you be judged. I think it's pretty good advice.

How I wish there were more people like you at WDW! I've learned on these boards that for every "scooter hater", there's at least one scooter driver who's embarrassed/humiliated/mortified to need one, wondering what people might think. Add me to that second list-I cried the first time I needed to rent a scooter, now I was one of "those people".
On my last trip to WDW, I saw something kind of funny-there'd been a collision where a scooter had bumped into a walker. Both parties were yelling "You should have been watching where you were going!" The scooter was convinced that the walker had just stepped right in front of him without looking, while the walker was convinced that the scooter had had ample opportunity to stop. Lesson-who's right about scooters?

OliveMcFly

How I wish there were more people like you at WDW! I've learned on these boards that for every "scooter hater", there's at least one scooter driver who's embarrassed/humiliated/mortified to need one, wondering what people might think. Add me to that second list-I cried the first time I needed to rent a scooter, now I was one of "those people".
On my last trip to WDW, I saw something kind of funny-there'd been a collision where a scooter had bumped into a walker. Both parties were yelling "You should have been watching where you were going!" The scooter was convinced that the walker had just stepped right in front of him without looking, while the walker was convinced that the scooter had had ample opportunity to stop. Lesson-who's right about scooters?
I agree. My mother felt awkward driving one around. The only part I think she enjoyed is when she drove into a small wall in Fantasyland. We had a good laugh at that one.

StarshipDisney

I have been run over twice, broke my foot both times once because somene was desperate to get in front of me in line. Its a little girl, she is just a little girl,not being careless just a mere child, and both times with a foot that was broken, I went on and enjoyed my trip and kept walking, so don't even try to go there with me.

Please accept my apology if I angered you. I did not mean to offend.

From the post you're responding to:

"The parents did not even apologize and said that I got in her way."

You do not need to bend over backwards for people who are unarguably causing harm with scooters. His foot got ran over and the parents blamed him. It doesn't matter if that kid is a cancer patient.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Anger on top of pain is what made it so memorable and hard to let go. Of course it would have made a very big difference if the parents had even somewhat apologized and maybe stopped for a minute to see if I was really OK. But they did not care less and walked straight away. Can anyone really defend that?

I won't say or post more here because I want to be a good member and not antagonize. Also a moderator requested it. I love this forum and visit often. But sometimes it is difficult to post here and never touch off someone.

I am 17 days away and here's hoping that everything goes according to plan. Have a MAGICAL day everyone.

LongLiveTheKing

Can we just have self driving scooters. Voice activated also.
I'm not sure if that's a joke post given the stuff following after it (I'm very whatever on voice recognition software) but this could actually be a really good idea. Especially if Disney really irons out routes for any self driving scooters to take, although they'd need to make sure any parade, firework or otherwise not normal walking path scenerios are taken into account.

21stamps

Outside of who or why, the truth is this-

The "Scooter Incidents" are probably over exaggerated.

As much as the "Tour Group Obnoxiousness" is.

Both happen, occasionally. Neither one is experienced by the majority at WDW.

mouse_luv

Outside of who or why, the truth is this-

The "Scooter Incidents" are probably over exaggerated.

As much as the "Tour Group Obnoxiousness" is.

Both happen, occasionally. Neither one is experienced by the majority at WDW.

Sorry, been around the tour groups in the parks enough to know that it's definitely not an exaggeration.

21stamps

Sorry, been around the tour groups in the parks enough to know that it's definitely not an exaggeration.

I've never been bothered by tour groups, but hearing Portuguese and Spanish isn't something I have an issue with, so I've probably just never noticed. Maybe too because there's enough background noise at Disney, plenty of people already bumping in to me, and I'm still having enough fun to not be bothered. I've also never been, or have been close to being, run over by a scooter.
Maybe just myself, my relatives, and my friends have all been extremely lucky. Hopefully it stays that way :)

mouse_luv

I've never been bothered by tour groups, but hearing Portuguese and Spanish isn't something I have an issue with, so I've probably just never noticed. Maybe too because there's enough background noise at Disney, plenty of people already bumping in to me, and I'm still having enough fun to not be bothered. I've also never been, or have been close to being, run over by a scooter.
Maybe just myself, my relatives, and my friends have all been extremely lucky. Hopefully it stays that way :)

Yeah definitely count yourself as lucky. These groups aren't going around nicely talking in their respective languages like normal human beings. I am used to hearing the language as well and even have Portuguese and Spanish friends (so they aren't all this way). These tour groups run around chanting VERY loudly like a bunch of animals. That cannot go unnoticed, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom