Just got back from Disneyland

NobodyElse

Beside Tinkerbell at the end, all of the scenes in Soarin' Over California looked very real, unlike Soarin' Over the World, which has CGI people and animals.

In a broader sense, film makers have always used "not real" things to tell a story. From makeup, to sets, to artificial lighting, up to current SFX. But as you basically imply, everybody has a different threshold of what they're willing to accept. There may be kids that think everything in Soarin' Over California is real, including Tinkerbell. You might think that's silly, but feel that the golf ball and hang glider look real.

(And yes, to me it seems like they relied more on CGI in Soarin' Over the World, but even within that scope some things seemed more "obvious" than others.) I was still able to enjoy the attraction, and like some others hope they are eventually able to give us the choice of film to watch.

Californian Elitist

In a broader sense, film makers have always used "not real" things to tell a story. From makeup, to sets, to artificial lighting, up to current SFX. But as you basically imply, everybody has a different threshold of what they're willing to accept. There may be kids that think everything in Soarin' Over California is real, including Tinkerbell. You might think that's silly, but feel that the golf ball and hang glider look real.

(And yes, to me it seems like they relied more on CGI in Soarin' Over the World, but even within that scope some things seemed more "obvious" than others.) I was still able to enjoy the attraction, and like some others hope they are eventually able to give us the choice of film to watch.

I'm not even sure where this conversation went, honestly. Seems it's going somewhere I never intended it to go. And why would I think children believing Tinkerbell is real to be silly?

Simply put, I don't like the new version, but I'm glad you do.

spacemt354

Chili's
Right... But if I'm eating Italian food 24-7 in Italy or New York City, it's still Italian food and I'm still going to get sick of it after a while.
I don't understand the analogy? By that logic any attraction over 10-15 years old should be changed.

It's worth noting that Soarin' in Epcot is one of the Top 3 most popular attractions in the park, a title that Soarin' Over California did not hold in DCA. While still popular, there were a variety of other attractions popular at DCA. At Christmas, last time we went in 2012, Soarin' Over California was a 20 minute wait (which blew our minds because that would be unheard of at Epcot.

As much as I enjoy Soarin' at Epcot - I didn't enjoy the consistent 60-120 min wait, or rush for a FastPass... to watch the same scenes I've seen before. In comparison, something like Carousel of Progress...that hasn't changed in years... I don't mind going to see again because you typically don't have to wait a long time and it fits the theme of Tomorrowland as a whole.

dweezil78

I don't understand the analogy? By that logic any attraction over 10-15 years old should be changed.

It's worth noting that Soarin' in Epcot is one of the Top 3 most popular attractions in the park, a title that Soarin' Over California did not hold in DCA. While still popular, there were a variety of other attractions popular at DCA. At Christmas, last time we went in 2012, Soarin' Over California was a 20 minute wait (which blew our minds because that would be unheard of at Epcot.

As much as I enjoy Soarin' at Epcot - I didn't enjoy the consistent 60-120 min wait, or rush for a FastPass... to watch the same scenes I've seen before. In comparison, something like Carousel of Progress...that hasn't changed in years... I don't mind going to see again because you typically don't have to wait a long time and it fits the theme of Tomorrowland as a whole.

Lol. I'm kind of throwing your point back in your face, if you haven't noticed. I'm not the one with the problem with Soarin, either version. I'm just saying if you can say that you grew tired of it after 10 years, why exactly would you not grow tired of it after 15 just because of where the building it plays in resides?

As a Californian, it's quite easy to grow tired of going to a theme park and seeing images of California. If anything, it should be more refreshing on the opposite side of the country.

spacemt354

Chili's
Lol. I'm kind of throwing your point back in your face, if you haven't noticed. I'm not the one with the problem with Soarin, either version. I'm just saying if you can say that you grew tired of it after 10 years, why exactly would you not grow tired of it after 15 just because of where the building it plays in resides?
You clearly didn't read my post - so let's try again.

Soarin' Over California fit the theme of Condor Flats and Disney California Adventure as a whole.

Soarin' at Epcot was a carbon copy of an attraction that fit the theme of another park. And despite that thematic disconnect, it was extremely popular - so much so that after a while, we weren't going to stand in a long line or rush for a FP+ to see the same thing loop of scenes on a screen we've seen before. However, an update, with new scenery, would be worth the wait. Soarin' Over California had none of these problems because it was in a park that had a ton of other popular things to do, unlike Epcot.

Perhaps it got lost in translation with you - but I never said I had a problem with the change in DCA. All I said was, in my opinion, it could have stayed the same.

D

Deleted member 107043

Speaking of the monorail... I was surprised (compared to the WDW monorail) at how much 'backstage' was visible en route... that was also a bit disappointing.

It wasn't always like that. Over the years as the park has grown and DCA was built riders began to see far less park and a lot more operations areas and the backsides of show buildings. In many ways the DL Monorail System is kind of pointless now, but I doubt they'll ever remove it. I wish they'd reroute the track to make the trip more scenic.

I guess as part of the theme of this thread, it seems like the DLR monorail (aside from the nice twists and turns done within Tomorrowland) isn't as 'magical' as those at WDW, in my opinion

That's an understatement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom