Just got back from Disneyland

Bandini

I like DCA a lot, but DL is still where it's at for me. The day I stop enjoying DL is the day I stop going to DLR.

Honestly, most of my love for DCA is because it sits next to DL.
This is how I feel. But to me DLR is so much fun and hassle free. I don't have to make ride reservations or ADR's Park hopping does not involve a protracted bus ride. Also, access to DTD is great. I have found good and bad CM's on both coasts, so I don't think it's fair to make generalizations based on a few chance encounters.

On my trip to DLR at the end of October, the CM's were terrific and polite, regardless of their age.

truecoat

Did you visit anywhere other than DLR on your visit? Did you notice a similarly laid-back/disinterested attitude in workers there? Southern California is home to the most consistently-slow "fast food" I've ever experienced; service in other places can be equally abysmal...I mean, laid back, dude! But it's just part of the culture. In that framework, the DLR CMs seem pretty good, but I agree that my memorable experiences at DLR rarely come from individual CMs

It's all your experience may differ arguments. While chaperoning a marching band trip to Florida once, we encountered some of the worst restaurant service at several fast food and sit down stops that as a group we all couldn't believe.

D

Deleted member 107043

Honestly, most of my love for DCA is because it sits next to DL.

I can see that, and I admit that a lot of my feelings for DCA are wrapped up in the fact the DL is next door. On the flip side I don't think I would enjoy DL as much if DCA were still a massive parking lot. DCA just makes DL that much better.

SteveAZee

More so than the Magic Kingdom? Really? I love WDW and have no argument about the CMs. But I find it hard to believe that DL is more about the dame trappings you've seen at local amusement parks than the MK.
I probably should have been a little more specific. I think that the rides are great... it's more the people and the cast members that remind me more of generic amusement parks. I think because things felt 'closed in' (narrow pathways, lots of people/strollers, etc) and the cast being more casual about being on stage, it felt like a local park rather than a 'presentation' of something that I see more of at the Magic Kingdom. It's not black and white, but there's a difference and my preference is for the wider paths with less visual clutter along with what seems like a better cast.

D

Deleted member 107043

. I think because things felt 'closed in' (narrow pathways, lots of people/strollers, etc) and the cast being more casual about being on stage, it felt like a local park rather than a 'presentation' of something that I see more of at the Magic Kingdom

Yep, The Magic Kingdom and subsequent so called "castle parks" always seem more grand and polished to me too. DLP, when it first opened, was literally jaw dropping. The cool thing about DL though is that you can really tell that it was the first legitimate theme park.

Phroobar

If you guys complain about how Disney cast members act, you really need to go to a Six Flags park for a reality check. Even the worst Disney cast member is far beyond a Magic Mountain employee. I once say two MM employees try to clean up a "protein spill" on a pathway. They had all of these cleaning supplies but it took them a half hour to do it. A Disney janitor cast member could get it done in less than three minutes. There is nothing better than a Disney Cast Member.

LongLiveTheKing

DLR CMs bypass the cheesy stuff, but rarely have more than a superficial interest in your experience, which I think comes down a lot more to the California culture
I'm not familiar with how culture differs from state to state but could you expand on what you mean by this in regards to California?

LongLiveTheKing

I don't eat at Mcdonalds here in the states because I don't care for their menu but on one of my travels a couple friends of mine wanted to try the Mcdonalds in India. If you ever get a chance to try one the people were very friendly but their menu is actually something that i look forward to when ever i'm in India. They have a delicious Maharaja Chicken Spicy Burger. Actually it seems that Mcdonalds has way better menus around the globe and here in the states we have the crappy menu except for the fries LOL

Ok back to the scheduled topic
Also Mexico. The McDonalds there are upkept very well. One of my Spanish professors ate at a McDonalds there with his dad and when he took his dad to one in the states he was shocked by how much of a downgrade it was.

Bandini

I probably should have been a little more specific. I think that the rides are great... it's more the people and the cast members that remind me more of generic amusement parks. I think because things felt 'closed in' (narrow pathways, lots of people/strollers, etc) and the cast being more casual about being on stage, it felt like a local park rather than a 'presentation' of something that I see more of at the Magic Kingdom. It's not black and white, but there's a difference and my preference is for the wider paths with less visual clutter along with what seems like a better cast.
I think it's also about the park you visited first. I think that WDW is a cheap copy of DL. The castle may be bigger at WDW, but you can't use the mote as an entrance to Fantasyland.

I also think that the management at DL is a lot more guest-centric than at WDW. After all, WDW is all about squeezing every last nickle out of their guests. I don't feel like a "mark" at DL.

spacemt354

Chili's
I love all of the DLR. It's the only other Resort I've been to aside WDW. And honestly, being a more seasoned WDW visitor and then traveling to Disneyland, made it that much more enjoyable.

The nostalgia, the differences, and the history...I had a much deeper appreciation for it. I love the quaintness, and the small touches, that can be overlooked in the more business centric WDW.

That's not to say I don't love WDW either...I enjoy both in different ways. But I can't wait to go back out there again!

007mickey

I love all of the DLR. It's the only other Resort I've been to aside WDW. And honestly, being a more seasoned WDW visitor and then traveling to Disneyland, made it that much more enjoyable.

The nostalgia, the differences, and the history...I had a much deeper appreciation for it. I love the quaintness, and the small touches, that can be overlooked in the more business centric WDW.

That's not to say I don't love WDW either...I enjoy both in different ways. But I can't wait to go back out there again!

Yes, yes and yes to what he said.

mickEblu

I think it's also about the park you visited first. I think that WDW is a cheap copy of DL. The castle may be bigger at WDW, but you can't use the mote as an entrance to Fantasyland.

I also think that the management at DL is a lot more guest-centric than at WDW. After all, WDW is all about squeezing every last nickle out of their guests. I don't feel like a "mark" at DL.

There no moat around Cinderellas castle? As a longtime Disneylander that would make the castle feel incomplete to me.

Bandini

There no moat around Cinderellas castle? As a longtime Disneylander that would make the castle feel incomplete to me.
Nope there's not Mote, nor is there a Moat. Maybe there's a dust mote? Sorry I'm making fun of my spelling skills. The castle front that faces Main St is used as a stage and it's blocked off for the castle show.

180º

@mickEblu and @Bandini, there is a moat. The bridge over the moat is behind the castle forecourt stage. It's a shorter bridge than Sleeping Beauty Castle's, and there is no drawbridge, but it does cross over water. The waterway extends around to Tomorrowland and Liberty Square, and all the way into Adventureland, looping around Swiss Family Treehouse. The waterway completely encircled the hub before the recent overhaul that filled in the stretch just along the front of Main Street USA. At one time, "Plaza Swan Boats" navigated this waterway, including crossing under the bridge to Cinderella Castle.

Because it is farther down in elevation from the walkways, it's not as noticeable from certain angles, like right in front of the Castle forecourt. But from other angles it's very impressive.

And as for accessing the bridge over the moat, like Bandini said, it's sadly blocked for long stretches during the day for the castle shows.

SteveAZee

I've tried to be as 'self aware' about which park I experienced first in comparing the two, and I've certainly had my share of negative feelings about the Magic Kingdom over the last 40 years of going. My trip in May to Disneyland was a solo trip with the purpose of absorbing all the wonder of Disneyland without the distractions... to walk it, do a few rides, observe the people, see the details... many of the things that make a Disney park special. I did find some great things about Disneyland, and while I may still be biased by my history with WDW, I still stand by my impressions of the trip.

I agree that WDW is more geared to be a people-eating (and money-eating) machine.

Bandini

@mickEblu and @Bandini, there is a moat. The bridge over the moat is behind the castle forecourt stage. It's a shorter bridge than Sleeping Beauty Castle's, and there is no drawbridge, but it does cross over water. The waterway extends around to Tomorrowland and Liberty Square, and all the way into Adventureland, looping around Swiss Family Treehouse. The waterway completely encircled the hub before the recent overhaul that filled in the stretch just along the front of Main Street USA. At one time, "Plaza Swan Boats" navigated this waterway, including crossing under the bridge to Cinderella Castle.

Because it is farther down in elevation from the walkways, it's not as noticeable from certain angles, like right in front of the Castle forecourt. But from other angles it's very impressive.

And as for accessing the bridge over the moat, like Bandini said, it's sadly blocked for long stretches during the day for the castle shows.
Whoops! I thought it was solid cement around Cinderella's Castle. At DL, one of my favorite hangouts is on the bridges watching the ducks and turtles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom