Just curious when people like to get to the parks

aprilc

In the past when we have gone to Disney I always tried to schedule a very early Character breakfast in the park and be there before it opens. This time, I have breakfasts scheduled each morning at 810 (after park opening) and feel like I have 12 hours easy if we get started at 10 and stay until 10 so why rush to be in the parks early? I want to experience different breakfasts than I have in the past and 810 was the only times I could get. We are going to 1900 Park ( I had Crystal Palace but cancelled it b/c we have done it many times) and Ohana I know its easier to get on the rides in the early hours but I am hoping to get good FP times. What are your thoughts?

jaklgreen

We sleep in too and never set the alarm. Its a vacation after all and the last thing we want to be is tired and cranky. So we usually eat something at the resort and get to the parks around 10ish. FP+ is great for tourists like us that like a more relaxed pace. I do wish they had a breakfast all day restaurant. We like breakfast food but for dinner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DisneyDukie

We used to get up early for the rope drop, then bust a run to whatever ride we really wanted to get on right away; we've also done 8am breakfasts at Crystal Palace on more than one occasion.

But the more frequent our trips become, the less urgency we feel. For us, our kids do better later in the day; plus, after years of never really seeing the parks after sunset, it's pretty cool to get a totally different perspective on the parks. For our upcoming trip, we don't have anything planned before 10am; some days, we won't get to a park until lunchtime, but we'll stay until almost close. Just as you can get a lot done in the first 3 hours a park is open, we've learned you can get just as much done in the last 3 hours!

Upvote 0

disneyfirstLJ

The first few days we make sure to get to the parks before rope drop. We love the welcome show at Magic Kingdom and never miss it. We do not schedule any breakfast ADR's because we like the Mickey Waffles and fruit kids meal at the resort. Then we usually get some kind of snack to share at Starbucks later in the morning hours. We are more eat when you are hungry people anyway and do not like our meals scheduled. Toward the end of our trip we take it easier and get to the parks before our first fast pass.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We sleep in too and never set the alarm. Its a vacation after all and the last thing we want to be is tired and cranky. So we usually eat something at the resort and get to the parks around 10ish. FP+ is great for tourists like us that like a more relaxed pace. I do wish they had a breakfast all day restaurant. We like breakfast food but for dinner.

My kind of schedule. Agree about breakfast for dinner - pancakes make an excellent dinner......

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

We are always in at open. We will grab QS - Breakfast at the hotel about an hour before park open then head over. We do EMH whenever possible.

If we do a TS breakfast, its always on the last day there. We figure we are already running behind because we have to drop off the luggage for the DME.

Upvote 0

blueboxdoctor

I could not imagine being at the parks at opening, but I'm also not at all a morning person. I much prefer taking advantage of the extra hours and staying later. Though, I also sometimes like going back to the room during the day to take a rest for the second half. I figure, if I'm on vacation, I'm going to enjoy myself. It also helps I've been to WDW a lot so I never feel like I have to rush to get anywhere. And there are notably less people during extra hours, so I make up for it then.

Upvote 0

Lsumatt72

I gotta be there at least 30 min before opening. My wife, on the other hand, could sleep in til 10. Alas, I pity her into waking up and getting to the parks early every day. I tell her it's vacation and we can sleep in the other 51 weeks of the year!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I could not imagine being at the parks at opening, but I'm also not at all a morning person. I much prefer taking advantage of the extra hours and staying later. Though, I also sometimes like going back to the room during the day to take a rest for the second half. I figure, if I'm on vacation, I'm going to enjoy myself. It also helps I've been to WDW a lot so I never feel like I have to rush to get anywhere. And there are notably less people during extra hours, so I make up for it then.

That's a good strategy, too. I'm a morning person so we're always there at rope drop -- but we don't stay late, either, until our last night.

Whether you choose to arrive early and leave early, or arrive late and stay late, I think you probably get the same amount done. The important thing is not to burn the candle at both ends (or God forbid, to be one of the families that likes to arrive late, but then gets frustrated by the crowds and leaves early -- and then gets home and wonders why the lines were always so long and why they missed so much). :)

Upvote 0

MrHappy

I do a bit of market research and segmentation analysis. With that, I sense that the majority who are posting in this forum would say rope drop or close to it. So I'm not sure if that would be consistent with the general population though. I find that parks are at <10% capacity (unofficial, just my lame guess) within the first few hours, and no matter how factual the point is.....I always feel like it's the best kept secret in the world! I try to visit WDW during the slower times of year, going early practically guarantees multiple rides on top attractions within the first few hours. I have a great pic of my wife standing in Frontierland a few hours after MK opening with NO ONE insight...kinda cool, kinda creepy.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

If you enjoy breakfasts, then that is just as an important attraction as HM. Same for sleeping late. But, rope drop does allow you to enjoy the park without the huge crowds. We like to get to the park before rope drop or just after, ride everything in Adventureland at least twice before working our way to Fantasyland or FPs in other areas.

Since we are not big breakfast eaters and enjoy lunch and dinner more, we have something like a granola bar or instant oatmeal in our room, then eat an early lunch before places get busy. But, I don't think you'll go wrong either way!

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

I do a bit of market research and segmentation analysis. With that, I sense that the majority who are posting in this forum would say rope drop or close to it. So I'm not sure if that would be consistent with the general population though. I find that parks are at <10% capacity (unofficial, just my lame guess) within the first few hours, and no matter how factual the point is.....I always feel like it's the best kept secret in the world! I try to visit WDW during the slower times of year, going early practically guarantees multiple rides on top attractions within the first few hours. I have a great pic of my wife standing in Frontierland a few hours after MK opening with NO ONE insight...kinda cool, kinda creepy.

And this is precisely why getting there for rope drop is so key. Human nature doesn't work that way. It's vacation, why should we wake up as six, to be showered and ready to go by 7:15, done with breakfast and waiting for the bus by 8? Heck, most of my co workers aren't up that early when they are at work. Just like how if you eat early or late, you can almost always miss all the lines at CS locations. Most of us on the boards are repeate/frequent visitors so we understand and accept that this is how things work. A vast majority of the WDW guests are lucky if they read a guide book before hand instead of simply showing up and winging it.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
We almost never make it to the rope drop - we three woman with me (1 wife and two daughters) getting them out the door is never fast (or easy) :)

We've been going to WDW for many years and last fall was the first time we ever were able to do the EMH. I'm hoping our next trip to take advantage of EMH, but I know the odds are against me

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

I am up for work (even at my new job) at 03:30 everyday anyway and my wife is usually up at 05:00. My family will open AND close a park each day. We take plenty of breaks all day sitting in the shade eating ice cream, talking, and people watching. However, we do like the opening because the parks are empty and there are NO crowds, but we also love the night atmosphere in the parks. We opened MK on our last trip and each day we did so we got on and off JC, PotC, SplM, and BTMRR before we saw any sort of crowds at all. Taking a break back at the resort has always seemed very silly and like a time-waster. Although I never look down on anyone else for doing so and I recommend it to people that I help plan trips. Some people look at us like we are a commando unit. Going full tilt non-stop all day because we open and close a park, but it is really not like that. We enjoy getting there at opening and seeing what happens at night as well.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom