JUNGLE SKIPPER CANTEEN, ANY GOOD?

bebert

Original Poster
Anyone try this fairly new restaurant near Jungle Cruise? Are there ok choices for kids?

belledream

Based on other reviews and food pictures I've seen, I wasn't going in with high expectations, but we got the steak and whole fried fish and we were scraping both of our plates! We surprisingly loved our meal there.

There is a kid's menu - choices are limited but seem fairly innocuous. I'm sure the chicken, salad, or pasta on the adult menu are safe choices as well. Desserts were so-so.

Otterhead

Agreed with belledream, reviews on here were mediocre, but I went with a group of 12 and we all had a great time. Both the steak and whole fried fish are terrific, the atmosphere is really fun (especially back in the SEA Room), good choices for kids, cast members enjoying their jobs.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I think they had some issues and growing pains when it first opened, but the reviews have definitely been better as of late.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Great food. It was one of our favorites in June. If you have super picky kids they might not care for it, but if your kids will try new things and eat things that are not just mac and cheese and chicken nuggets they will be fine.

danyoung56

I ate there once a few months ago, and really enjoyed it. I had the steak with chimichurri sauce, and it was excellent. You gotta remember, though, that the waiters do the same type of corny schtick as the Jungle Cruise skippers. If you can tolerate that, you'll have a fine meal.

This is great to read. My wife and I were afraid to try it this past time with a 2 year old, but now it will be a place to seriously look into for next Summer.

71dsp

I really liked it. The food was good, and the restaurant is beautiful. I can't say it was the best of our trip, but definitely in the top 10 for sure. I had Skip's Beefy Baked Pasta, my wife had the Sustainable Fish (I think it was Snapper that day), and our son had the mac-and-cheese. I'm pretty certain that we'll go back. :)

jensenrick

I had the curried vegetable stew recently, and it was great! Especially when it can be so difficult to find something vegetarian that has some flavor to it, and this was nice and spicy.
Very disappointed however to see hummus has been removed from the appetizers, and a few other things that were on the more adventurous side seemed to be missing, although I don't recall what.
Our waiter was the highlight of the meal, for sure- hilarious.

Weather_Lady

We had dinner there on 11/14 and it was one of the best meals we had during our one-week Disney stay. We had the falafel appetizer, which everybody loved even though we'd never had falafel before. I had the duck noodle bowl, which was delicious and comforting. My mother-in-law had the chicken as I recall, DH had the steak, and my son had the steak salad, all of which they liked. My daughter ordered the kids' steak, although she was disappointed to discover that the "fingerling" potatoes that came with it were little whole potatoes. (She was unfamiliar with the term, and thought it meant "mashed potatoes that are "finger-lickin' good," LOL). Other kids' choices include chicken fingers, chicken noodle soup, mac and cheese, etc., so the kids don't have to order the more exotic fare unless they choose to.

I'd recommend Skipper Canteen to anybody, and look forward to trying the whole fried fish if/when I make it back there again. Be aware that, like most Disney restaurants, you can expect to wait 10-20 minutes past your ADR time to be seated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom