Jungle Book Cruise... You Just *Know* They're Thinking About It

Californian Elitist

It's ironic that you think you are talking to a wall around here. You are so set in your opinion that it will never change as you've stated. You completely fail to see that you've built the wall, not the other way around.

I am fully willing to contend that Star Wars could botch sightlines, overstuff the park, erode everything that made ROA quaint and quiet or be terribly executed. It could turn into a crowded disaster that looses all charm of what made Disneyland a lovely respite from the world outside. I even get the concern over a single IP land or the fact it doesn't mesh with Walt's dedication (even if my opinion is that Walt basically built a single IP land using Davey Crockett and Star Wars represents all facets of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy).

Now, so as to turn this conversation into a window, can you contend that maybe it might be executed 'ok' and not irreparably turn Disneyland into a steaming pile?

That's all we are looking for here, a two way discussion.

I made my last post regarding SWL in the thread already. I'm planning to create an anti-SWL thread later on tonight, and I'll respond and explain why I feel like I'm talking to a wall there.

GrizzlyAdams

I would love it if they totally redid this ride as JB (they can keep the Cruise name), if it's a total redo that's as awesome as the movie.

The ride has been campy retro fun for decades, but come on... an updated version that's a ride through the new JB movie... they would have to take back some space from Indiana Jones to accommodate the long lines.

Curious Constance

What I think is funny is that certain people wish for things to be brought back to a state that they were too young or didn't exist to have ever experienced. In their opinion, everything that has been built in their lifetime sucks and anything new will be worst for time and all eternity.
I think people just like what they grew up with. No one seems to have a problem with the Mine train being removed for Big Thunder and the Big Thunder Ranch area unless they grew up with the Mine train.

Rich T

Original Poster
I think people just like what they grew up with. No one seems to have a problem with the Mine train being removed for Big Thunder and the Big Thunder Ranch area unless they grew up with the Mine train.
This is a case where I was sad to see Mine Train go, but couldn't wait for Big Thunder to open (the model in the preview building was amazing!). When I first rode it, I loved it but was disappointed it didn't feel as "epic" adventure-wise as Mine Train.

I wouldn't bring back Mine Train; it was a product of its time, charming as heck (and a good LONG ride through an unbelievable variety of settings and scenes)-- But building Big Thunder was good for the park, and I love Big Thunder. Frontierland's always felt much smaller (psychologically) and less mysterious after losing Mine Train, yet I wouldn't go back to the past (except maybe for a visit :)). I love Big Thunder, miss Mine Train, but in the end would still vote for building Big Thunder as the right thing to do for the park. I'm gonna go listen to the Nature's Wonderland ride narration now... :)

Phroobar

I perfer BTMRR to Mine Train. I have pictures of me riding Mine Train but I have no memories of liking it or attachment to it. I do remember ATIS. It was a ride we rode just because it was empty, air conditioned and we had five minutes to kill. I think it was a free ticket too. I do miss the Country Bear Jamboree but that was relatively recently in my life. I do remember it being empty every time I've gone in there. Pooh may not be better but it does eat crowds.

Yup, I discount everything before 1973 even though I saw it I figure I was to young to appreciate it. I was 2 years old when my parents to me to the opening day of Disneyland but sadly I just don't remember a thing...
I was thinking about certain people here who's profile shows them to be in their early twenties but think the current Tomorrowland is terrible and was much better before that. Well, this Tomorrowland has been with us for almost twenty years. How does a five year old remember anything about the old Tomorrowland of the 70's, 80's & 90's?

Phroobar

Memories are colored by age and perceptions so what most remember as kids is probably just a narrow slice of what really happened.
Same goes for something like Star Wars. People complain that the current movies are not as good as the original and find faults in them not realizing the same faults are in the original movie. Ask any ten year old boy how much they liked The Force Awakens and they will say they loved it but really can't watch A New Hope very well because its slow and boring.

dweezil78

Memories are colored by age and perceptions so what most remember as kids is probably just a narrow slice of what really happened.

Often times yes. Except for Horizons. The epic ride, the soundtrack, the IMAX sequence, the audio-animatronics, the choose-your-own adventure ending...

TrueAllOfIt_HanSolo-300x212.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I perfer BTMRR to Mine Train. I have pictures of me riding Mine Train but I have no memories of liking it or attachment to it. I do remember ATIS. It was a ride we rode just because it was empty, air conditioned and we had five minutes to kill. I think it was a free ticket too. I do miss the Country Bear Jamboree but that was relatively recently in my life. I do remember it being empty every time I've gone in there. Pooh may not be better but it does eat crowds.

This is silly, but I really miss the Skyway going through Matterhorn Mountain. It just never looked the same to me after the Skyway was removed and I still have a strange reaction whenever I look at it from certain angles.

Rich T

Original Poster
Same goes for something like Star Wars. People complain that the current movies are not as good as the original and find faults in them not realizing the same faults are in the original movie. Ask any ten year old boy how much they liked The Force Awakens and they will say they loved it but really can't watch A New Hope very well because its slow and boring.
Objection: Not *EVERY* 10 year old finds New Hope boring. The smart ones dig it. :D
I was 18 when Star Wars (when it was called Star Wars and not New Hope) hit theaters, and saw it opening day. I've seen all the SW films as an adult. My opinion: New Hope is the greatest SW film simply because it built a new Universe in people's imaginations in 2 hours, implied a TON of never-seen details effortlessly, told its story clearly and well, didn't take itself too seriously and was just flat-out fun. Empire's overrated, but its best moments are the most iconic in the whole series. Jedi...cripes, which version at this point? The prequels did nothing for me. Dex the diner owner was the only character I'd want to talk to. Force Awakens was a blast; It was great to finally see a well-acted SW film, and the comedy elements were the best yet. Star Tours 1.0: Possibly my favorite Star Wars thing ever...so far...

Rich T

Original Poster
For everyone who remembers here's the map from the late 80's if I remember right...

The one thing I don't miss is the acres and acres of parking you had to walk through to get to the gate.
Oh, but the *anticipation* during that hike... :)

dweezil78

Yes there were but they were few and far between not to mention usually packed. Most of the time is was easier and faster to just start hiking up to the entry.

Ah weird... Was never too bad in the early days of WDW. Can be a bit of a wait these days though it seems. I always enjoyed the tram as a kid... the first ride of the day right as you get out of your car! :D

Mike S

Wow @raven24, you weren't kidding. Even the different WDW and DL versions of this topic are different, and you guys have the original!!!! (smh) The Jungle Cruise is not the place for The Jungle Book. That would be the Asia section of Animal Kingdom preferably as a truly large scale indoor boat ride like Pirates. Funny, both of these things that *could* be shoved into DL (SWL and JB, only one confirmed and/or rumored) have much better spots in WDW at different parks.

Californian Elitist

Wow @raven24, you weren't kidding. Even the different WDW and DL versions of this topic are different, and you guys have the original!!!! (smh) The Jungle Cruise is not the place for The Jungle Book. That would be the Asia section of Animal Kingdom preferably as a truly large scale indoor boat ride like Pirates. Funny, both of these things that *could* be shoved into DL (SWL and JB, only one confirmed and/or rumored) have much better spots in WDW at different parks.

Oh, I definitely wasn't joking. It's sad, isn't it?

Who cares if it's the original?! It's been 60 years, time to add movie references (even though the original has held up just fine for 60 years).

Mike S

I think you missed the satire.
I got it on the first post, but then...
No, all hope (for keeping the park's original flavor) will be lost when DL needs a lot of space for a new land and the company CEO decides the jungle takes up too much valuable real estate. I really hope Autopia goes before the Jungle.

In that respect, a mega-hit ongoing Jungle Book franchise could end up being the park jungle's savior. I started this thread half-kidding, but now I'm serious; the jungle might need a popular "sponsor" franchise to keep it alive in the future.

BrianLo

I got it on the first post, but then...

Well, fortunately they aren't eyeing up the JC plot. I don't approve either, it's delightfully campy.

Tokyo demonstrates how the JC can be updated well, was kind of hoping they'd be doing the same in DL with this refurb.

Mike S

Oh, I definitely wasn't joking. It's sad, isn't it?

Who cares if it's the original?! It's been 60 years, time to add movie references (even though the original has held up just fine for 60 years).
The most they should ever do to Jungle Cruise is updated mechanical animals and newer jokes should they ever choose to.
Well, fortunately they aren't eyeing up the JC plot. I don't approve either, it's delightfully campy.

Tokyo demonstrates how the JC can be updated well, was kind of hoping they'd be doing the same in DL with this refurb.
I remember that. I didn't really care for the inserted Lion King music. Seemed very off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom