July 9, 2017- 12 day British Isles Cruise!!!! AAAHHH!!!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Oh, by the way, I found a cool website where they download navigators from past cruises. They had the British Isles Cruise from last year up along with the port excursion information from last year so I can get a really good sense of the cruise and the type of port excursions that may be available. Of course, that doesn't mean it will all be the same for the 2017 cruise but I'm having a great time looking through it and planning! Here's the website for anyone else thinking of this cruise:
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...night-british-isles-cruise-dover-june-5-2016/

Our first port was Newcastle. We did the city tour and the Angel of the North Statue. It was a beautiful day as we sailed into Newcastle and we were 2 tour busses doing this excursion. There's a huge Nissan factory here and a few colleges. This used to be a sailing/shipping port but that industry has waned. Sting is from Newcastle and his Broadway show is about ships. It was busy in the city on the busses and we did not have air conditioning and the bus was hot, so I don't have good notes as I was melting on the bus. We did see the 7 bridges that are within 1/4 of a mile over the main river and we saw some of Hadrian's wall. We drove by some beautiful churches. The Angel of the North Statue was quite amazing, It is huge - has a wing span of a 747 plan, nose to tail. We saw quite a bit while we were on the bus but only stopped at one of the bridges and the Angel of the North statue. I was a nice overview of the city and would have been better had it not been so hot. Most busses - they call them coaches - do not have air in them, since it doesn't get that warm in Scotland. This was not a full day tour so we were able to head back to the ship and go to the pool to cool off.

The next port was Invergordon. We awoke to oil rigs in the channel to our port. We went on the Urquarht Castle and Loch Ness tour. The bus ride was about 1.5 hrs to the Castle. This is the castle that is mentioned in the first book of Outlander, so that was pretty cool. Our ride took us through lots of small towns on the way to the Castle and we saw lots of Gorse (yellow ground cover) it was very pretty in the overcast day. Most days in Scotland are overcast, according to our guide. At the castle , we watched a movie about the clans and castle and then went out on our own to climb through the castle. We had about 1 hr. The castle sits on Loch Ness. So we got pictures of the Loch and saw Nessie. :) On our way back, we were rode along the Loch. We then went on a slight detour through Inverness and Alness. The bus did not stop. We then went through the town of Invergordon. This is a cute little town which is within walking distance from the ship. We were back from our tour in time to do lunch on the ship.

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Jen, last summer, my family did the Iceland cruise which included a stop in Kirkwall. We did a walking tour of the town and the standing stones excursion. If you'd like to read about that day, here's my trip report (Kirkwall is Day 11):

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/iceland-fjords-and-aad-adventures-after-disney.902207/
Thank you Chuck! I just read through your report! Awesome pictures! I was on the Norweigian Fjords cruise so I also checked out you Stavanger post to see what you did - we did the same thing! I read through the Kirkwall day! Sounds awesome!!! Looks like the Standing Stones are a must see! I like that you toured the town in the morning too!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Our first port was Newcastle. We did the city tour and the Angel of the North Statue. It was a beautiful day as we sailed into Newcastle and we were 2 tour busses doing this excursion. There's a huge Nissan factory here and a few colleges. This used to be a sailing/shipping port but that industry has waned. Sting is from Newcastle and his Broadway show is about ships. It was busy in the city on the busses and we did not have air conditioning and the bus was hot, so I don't have good notes as I was melting on the bus. We did see the 7 bridges that are within 1/4 of a mile over the main river and we saw some of Hadrian's wall. We drove by some beautiful churches. The Angel of the North Statue was quite amazing, It is huge - has a wing span of a 747 plan, nose to tail. We saw quite a bit while we were on the bus but only stopped at one of the bridges and the Angel of the North statue. I was a nice overview of the city and would have been better had it not been so hot. Most busses - they call them coaches - do not have air in them, since it doesn't get that warm in Scotland. This was not a full day tour so we were able to head back to the ship and go to the pool to cool off.
So cool! Good to know about the busses! My only problem with cruises is that I always want to do more than one thing and end up having to choose! On the Newcastle day, based off of the tours available last year, I'm trying to decide between seeing the Angel of the North and the Beamish Open Air Museum, which sounds like a sort of Colonial Williamsburg but based on the Industrial Revolution, or doing Alnwick Castle & Garden, with a fairy tale trail and lunch in a tree house. The Alnwick castle/tree house thing is super expensive though so we're seeing how our year goes before we set our budget for shore excursions. But it's great to hear the Angel of the North Statue is worth seeing!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
The next port was Invergordon. We awoke to oil rigs in the channel to our port. We went on the Urquarht Castle and Loch Ness tour. The bus ride was about 1.5 hrs to the Castle. This is the castle that is mentioned in the first book of Outlander, so that was pretty cool. Our ride took us through lots of small towns on the way to the Castle and we saw lots of Gorse (yellow ground cover) it was very pretty in the overcast day. Most days in Scotland are overcast, according to our guide. At the castle , we watched a movie about the clans and castle and then went out on our own to climb through the castle. We had about 1 hr. The castle sits on Loch Ness. So we got pictures of the Loch and saw Nessie. :) On our way back, we were rode along the Loch. We then went on a slight detour through Inverness and Alness. The bus did not stop. We then went through the town of Invergordon. This is a cute little town which is within walking distance from the ship. We were back from our tour in time to do lunch on the ship.
So cool!!! This is definitely one of the tours that I was looking at! I definitely want to see Urquarht castle and MUST start the Outlander series!!! I'm putting it in my phone reminders right now! I figure we have to see Loch Ness!!! (Reminds me of that How I Met Your Mother Episode!) I'm glad Invergorden is walking distance from the ship because I love to explore little towns on my own after tours. My daughter and husband usually like to go back to the ship but I love to explore and shop. If I've been to a foreign city, and I haven't bought something little there, have I actually been there? LOL!

Our next port was Kirkwell. What an amazing place. We woke up to sunny skies and the landscape was just breathtaking. It's all green fields, there are not a lot of trees. You'll see when you get there. It is too windy for trees to grow :) We did the Orkney's Neolithic Heartland - Adults only. This ended up being my favorite excursion. I have a print out of this excursion, so I have a bit more detail. 45 minute bus ride to Skara Brae where we saw the remains of a 5,000 year old village. This village was along a beautiful bay to the Atlantic. Blue water and white sand beaches. I thought I was in the Caribbean. :) I also have to let you know, it was a beautiful sunny and warm day. We brought our Disney British Isles sweatshirts but took them off because it was so nice. We spent about 45 minutes with our guide, who had two degrees in archeologically. He was a great tour guide. This stone age settlement was just amazing. We then went into Skail House, one of Orkney's finest manors. Kirkwell is on the Island of Orkney. We then went to the Ring of Brodgar to see the Ancient Standing Stones. We got off the bus here and were able to walk around and touch the stones. I hugged a stone, but did not go anywhere. (reference to Outlander) We then headed back to the ship. Along Scapa Flow, our guide was narrating most of the way. This area was prominent during World War II. The roads in this area are very narrow and winding. This excursion was in the afternoon, so you could have gone into the town of Kirkwall via the shuttle bus provided by Disney but we did not do that. When we got back to the ship, there was a wedding going on at the pier. Someone on our cruise had gotten married earlier that day at Skail House and a captain from the coast guard ship docked next to us, was officiating a ceremony. It was cool to see, but the couple must have been mystified with all of the returning busses coming into their ceremony. I fell in love with Scotland at this port. Our table mates had done, Kirkwall on their own; Cliffs and Standing Stones and the other couple were on our tour. A note about tours, we asked and mostly got the Adults only tours. I'm not quite sure if I would do that again. There were very few children on our cruise. 400 I think. Normal is 600 to 800. ages 4 - 16 This trip was in the beginning of June, most kids are still in school and this type of cruise is not 'geared' towards children. There were a couple of 'small group' tours we were not able to get ahead of time. One set of our tablemates asked and was successful in getting these small group tours upon boarding. I did not even think to ask about that. Next day was a day at Sea, we did the Trivia Hunt on the ship. There's lots of activities to do on the sea days. One note, if it is a rainy sea day, avoid Lumier's for lunch. It was mobbed and the service was not good. First time ever, that we've had poor service at lunch. But no one was eating at the hot dog, hamburger places on deck due to the poor weather. I would have done room service if I had known. Also they have a few beverage seminars set up on sea days, We did a private one set up by the Facebook group we were with. Next port is Greenoch.

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Our next port was Kirkwell. What an amazing place. We woke up to sunny skies and the landscape was just breathtaking. It's all green fields, there are not a lot of trees. You'll see when you get there. It is too windy for trees to grow :) We did the Orkney's Neolithic Heartland - Adults only. This ended up being my favorite excursion. I have a print out of this excursion, so I have a bit more detail. 45 minute bus ride to Skara Brae where we saw the remains of a 5,000 year old village. This village was along a beautiful bay to the Atlantic. Blue water and white sand beaches. I thought I was in the Caribbean. :) I also have to let you know, it was a beautiful sunny and warm day. We brought our Disney British Isles sweatshirts but took them off because it was so nice. We spent about 45 minutes with our guide, who had two degrees in archeologically. He was a great tour guide. This stone age settlement was just amazing. We then went into Skail House, one of Orkney's finest manors. Kirkwell is on the Island of Orkney. We then went to the Ring of Brodgar to see the Ancient Standing Stones. We got off the bus here and were able to walk around and touch the stones. I hugged a stone, but did not go anywhere. (reference to Outlander) We then headed back to the ship. Along Scapa Flow, our guide was narrating most of the way. This area was prominent during World War II. The roads in this area are very narrow and winding. This excursion was in the afternoon, so you could have gone into the town of Kirkwall via the shuttle bus provided by Disney but we did not do that. When we got back to the ship, there was a wedding going on at the pier. Someone on our cruise had gotten married earlier that day at Skail House and a captain from the coast guard ship docked next to us, was officiating a ceremony. It was cool to see, but the couple must have been mystified with all of the returning busses coming into their ceremony. I fell in love with Scotland at this port. Our table mates had done, Kirkwall on their own; Cliffs and Standing Stones and the other couple were on our tour. A note about tours, we asked and mostly got the Adults only tours. I'm not quite sure if I would do that again. There were very few children on our cruise. 400 I think. Normal is 600 to 800. ages 4 - 16 This trip was in the beginning of June, most kids are still in school and this type of cruise is not 'geared' towards children. There were a couple of 'small group' tours we were not able to get ahead of time. One set of our tablemates asked and was successful in getting these small group tours upon boarding. I did not even think to ask about that. Next day was a day at Sea, we did the Trivia Hunt on the ship. There's lots of activities to do on the sea days. One note, if it is a rainy sea day, avoid Lumier's for lunch. It was mobbed and the service was not good. First time ever, that we've had poor service at lunch. But no one was eating at the hot dog, hamburger places on deck due to the poor weather. I would have done room service if I had known. Also they have a few beverage seminars set up on sea days, We did a private one set up by the Facebook group we were with. Next port is Greenoch.

Kirkwall sounds like an amazing port!! I'm so excited to see the standing stones!! I'm excited the town is right by the port too!
We are bringing our will be 8 year old daughter with us on this cruise. We picked the Disney Cruise Line for her - the itinerary for us. But just like on the Norwegian Fjord cruise, she will learn a lot and enjoy it I'm sure! She's an only child and is used to being around a lot of adults and is very quiet and well behaved so I don't worry about bringing her anywhere. She is sooooo looking forward to Andy's room and the slide again, lol!! I'm sure they will seat us with another family with kids like they did last time. I love that thanks to Disney we can have an amazing vacation for both the adults and the kid!

Yes, the kids that were on the ship were learning a lot. It was so slow though, that we actually went into the kids club one day, and played around. Our route to the lobby took us by the kids clubs. She will have a great time.

Our next port of call was Greenoch. Our excursion was Inveraray Castle and Loch Lomond. Our lady guide wore her colors beautifully. We took the bus from this industrial port and headed North and went over a large bridge. Erskine Bridge. We travelled through the beautiful countryside and ended up at the widest part of Loch Lomond. We stopped at a very quaint little town called Lus. We were on our own here. There were lovely flowers all over the town. All of the houses had gardens and flower boxes. It was very very nice. We did not have enough time here though. We did visit a church and could only go in a little of it, since there was a wedding there at 1 pm. the guide at the church did tell us a bit about it. The story is that the son of a fisherman built the church in honor of his father who had died fishing on the loch. The ceiling is an upside down boat. We then took selfies with Loch Loman, made a rest stop (we used English coins to pay) I would have liked at least another 1/2 hour or so to tour Lus. Back on the bus and we are travelling along Loch Lomond. the Guide put the song on ... on the Bonny Bnny banks of Loch Lomond. We then started travelling up hill. Beautiful country. I know I keep saying that, but it was. We did do a quick stop at the top of the mountain and took more selfies. This place was called "Rest and be Thankful" If you go, you'll understand. The mountains are over 3,000 feet tall. Then our bus headed to Inverary Castle. This castle was used in the PBS series, Downton Abbey. It was the place where they went to their Scottish relatives in the summer. It is still a working Castle and the Duke and Dutchess come and work in the gift shop and kitchen when they are there. Amazing castle. The grounds are all covered with Rhodedendrums. Beautiful. But apparently this plant is considered a nuisance in Scotland. Huge bushes - gotta be 15-20 feet tall. There was another wedding that would be happening here and a tent was set up. What a beauitul place for a wedding. Lunch was included in this excursion and we ate in the town at St. Georges Hotel. We had Soup, Chicken, beer or wine or soda and dessert. It was very good. We walked around town after that and bought some wine to bring back to the ship in the little grocery store. There's a neat little store - near where you meet back for the bus - and we bought our magnets and some souvenirs. Travelling back, we went over some of the same roads to get to the ferry to take us back across the loch to get to our ship. The bus pulled right onto the ferry. We got off and went to the bathroom, then watched where we were going. At one point the ferry veered sharply to the left and we got sprayed with water. The reason we had to go to the left was because there were two nuclear submarines going pass. Got some good pictures of them. BTW - this was not listed in the excursion :) Apparently there's a sub base in the area. Lucky for us. It was a short ride to the port after we got off the ferry. As with every port, the streets were lined with people who came out to see the Mickey ship and we were serenaded again by bag pipes There was a free tasting of whiskey when we were in the shopping area of the port (after clearing to get back on the ship) Another great day in Scotland and we are loving it. Next up - Liverpool and "in the Steps of the Beatles tour"

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Our next port of call was Greenoch. Our excursion was Inveraray Castle and Loch Lomond. Our lady guide wore her colors beautifully. We took the bus from this industrial port and headed North and went over a large bridge. Erskine Bridge. We travelled through the beautiful countryside and ended up at the widest part of Loch Lomond. We stopped at a very quaint little town called Lus. We were on our own here. There were lovely flowers all over the town. All of the houses had gardens and flower boxes. It was very very nice. We did not have enough time here though. We did visit a church and could only go in a little of it, since there was a wedding there at 1 pm. the guide at the church did tell us a bit about it. The story is that the son of a fisherman built the church in honor of his father who had died fishing on the loch. The ceiling is an upside down boat. We then took selfies with Loch Loman, made a rest stop (we used English coins to pay) I would have liked at least another 1/2 hour or so to tour Lus. Back on the bus and we are travelling along Loch Lomond. the Guide put the song on ... on the Bonny Bnny banks of Loch Lomond. We then started travelling up hill. Beautiful country. I know I keep saying that, but it was. We did do a quick stop at the top of the mountain and took more selfies. This place was called "Rest and be Thankful" If you go, you'll understand. The mountains are over 3,000 feet tall. Then our bus headed to Inverary Castle. This castle was used in the PBS series, Downton Abbey. It was the place where they went to their Scottish relatives in the summer. It is still a working Castle and the Duke and Dutchess come and work in the gift shop and kitchen when they are there. Amazing castle. The grounds are all covered with Rhodedendrums. Beautiful. But apparently this plant is considered a nuisance in Scotland. Huge bushes - gotta be 15-20 feet tall. There was another wedding that would be happening here and a tent was set up. What a beauitul place for a wedding. Lunch was included in this excursion and we ate in the town at St. Georges Hotel. We had Soup, Chicken, beer or wine or soda and dessert. It was very good. We walked around town after that and bought some wine to bring back to the ship in the little grocery store. There's a neat little store - near where you meet back for the bus - and we bought our magnets and some souvenirs. Travelling back, we went over some of the same roads to get to the ferry to take us back across the loch to get to our ship. The bus pulled right onto the ferry. We got off and went to the bathroom, then watched where we were going. At one point the ferry veered sharply to the left and we got sprayed with water. The reason we had to go to the left was because there were two nuclear submarines going pass. Got some good pictures of them. BTW - this was not listed in the excursion :) Apparently there's a sub base in the area. Lucky for us. It was a short ride to the port after we got off the ferry. As with every port, the streets were lined with people who came out to see the Mickey ship and we were serenaded again by bag pipes There was a free tasting of whiskey when we were in the shopping area of the port (after clearing to get back on the ship) Another great day in Scotland and we are loving it. Next up - Liverpool and "in the Steps of the Beatles tour"
So Cool!!! That is one of the excursions I was thinking of if they have it again next year!!! Sounds like so much fun! I love a little free time to shop! Thank you so much for sharing!

Our next port was on sunday and it was Liverpool You dock right down town, very close to a lot of things. Had I known that, I might not have booked an excursion there. there were tons of people that came down to the pier to see the Mickey Boat all day long. They had stages set up, outside of the secure port area, where there was music, dancing, movies. The Liverpool people are very friendly and loved to see us. We had our "In the steps of the Beatles tour". Our tour guide was knowledgeable but not the most pleasant we had. She kept yelling at the coach driver, but the tour was good. Our first stop was at the Museum where you have self guided tour with headphones at each area. This is within walking distance of the ship, so if that's what you are most interested in you can do it easily. I think we had about 1 hour here, then back onto the bus and we went to The Cavern Club, this is where the Beatles performed. We were allowed inside and there was a band playing, it was loud. Adele performed here in 2011, so it is still a place to get famous. In this area, there were Beatles things all around us and the guide was explaining, you had to be close to her to hear her. Then back on the bus with our continued driving tour of the Beatles. We went to Penny Lane, which is just a street, we were allowed to get out and take a picture of the street sign and then to the end of Penny Lane where the round about is and saw the shops, etc from the song. All the while, the guide play the song. Then on to Strawberry Fields, with the music for that song too. Strawberry Fields is not a field. I won't say what it is, in case you go. If you don't go, look it up. We then went by John's house. Then back to the port. We were back in time for Lunch and we did the hot tub and also had Palo that evening. The city of Liverpool had fireworks that evening, for the Queens Birthday and for us. They piped Disney music in as we sailed out of port to the fireworks. This was after 10 pm on a Sunday evening and the port had thousands of people there to wave us off. It was a site to see. Next stop Dublin, with Dublin City Highlights tour.

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Awesome! I figure I will do the Beatles tour too! I love their music! I love ports where the ship is pulled right up to the port! I love free time to just wander after the tours! My husband usually likes to go back to the ship, but I love to wander! The Norwegian Fjord cruise was that way too. We didn't need a tender in any of the ports and every single one of them, we could wander before or after the tour! I like the guided tours to hear the history, then some free time to experience the city myself and SHOP! LOL!

I hope the crowds are as supportive Summer 2017 since it won't be the inaugural cruise! How exciting to see people cheering and celebrating at the port!!!!

Our next port of call was Dublin. it was a misty kind of day most of the day. Our excursion was Dublin City Highlights, This is listed as Paroramic View of Dublin's Highlight, visit Trinity College to see the famous Book of Kells and explore St. Patrick's Catherdal, learning its rich history. This was our most disappointing excursion. We had a great guide and he sang irish songs to us, but it seemed like all we did was drive around the city seeing the same things. We visited a park and saw the statue of Oscar Wilde, then we drove around. There was and I think still is, a lot of construction going on in Dublin. They are putting in a trolley system, but it was difficult to maneuver a bus. We then went to St. Patrick's, my entire time was spent waiting in line to go to the bathroom. There was no stop before this and by the time I was finished, the group was already back at the bus. We then went to Trinity College and proceeded to wait in another long line., 30 + minutes I loved Trinity college.

Others on the ship had done Dublin on their own. I would suggest that. They had a bus from the ship to the center of town. Friends had booked tickets on line for Trinity College and just walked right in while we waited in line. We could have stayed in the city on our own and tried to get back to the ship, but we were nervous about this, since our next day was a sea day and after that France.

We had to exchange our currency for Euros when we were in Dublin (and France) all the rest was in UK pounds.

Next Excursion is

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Our next port of call was Dublin. it was a misty kind of day most of the day. Our excursion was Dublin City Highlights, This is listed as Paroramic View of Dublin's Highlight, visit Trinity College to see the famous Book of Kells and explore St. Patrick's Catherdal, learning its rich history. This was our most disappointing excursion. We had a great guide and he sang irish songs to us, but it seemed like all we did was drive around the city seeing the same things. We visited a park and saw the statue of Oscar Wilde, then we drove around. There was and I think still is, a lot of construction going on in Dublin. They are putting in a trolley system, but it was difficult to maneuver a bus. We then went to St. Patrick's, my entire time was spent waiting in line to go to the bathroom. There was no stop before this and by the time I was finished, the group was already back at the bus. We then went to Trinity College and proceeded to wait in another long line., 30 + minutes I loved Trinity college.

Others on the ship had done Dublin on their own. I would suggest that. They had a bus from the ship to the center of town. Friends had booked tickets on line for Trinity College and just walked right in while we waited in line. We could have stayed in the city on our own and tried to get back to the ship, but we were nervous about this, since our next day was a sea day and after that France.

We had to exchange our currency for Euros when we were in Dublin (and France) all the rest was in UK pounds.

Next Excursion is
Getting closer to my Island home :)

JenTen1585

Original Poster

Next Excursion is
Great tips!!! I was thinking for Dublin of doing the City Highlights tour which is the Book of Kells and St. Patrick's I think! I'm so excited to see Dublin! I am 1/4 Irish. My grandfather was 100% Irish (my mom's maiden name is O'Brien)! And I've always wanted to see the country!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
So we have gotten our flights! We got a fantastic deal on British Airways a couple of months ago so we are flying direct from Ft. Lauderdale to London and back for less than 500.00 per person! You just have to keep looking and be ready to jump when you see a good value!
We also just booked our hotel in London for pre-cruise. Post-cruise we decided to stay in the Airport hotel. We splurged a bit on the hotel pre-cruise. We booked the Thistle in Trafalgar Square. We wanted a room that would comfortably sleep the three of us and a good location. This location looks to be great! It looks like we can walk to the shopping in Soho, the West End Theater District (where I'm hoping to see Matilda - haven't bought tickets yet), the National Gallery, lots of restaurants, and right next to the train station which has the train which goes to Dover. We plan right now on taking the train to Dover as it seems to be the least costly route. I will let you all know how I like it aferwards but my husband is a bit of a snob and only wanted to stay at a highly rated hotel. So we are paying close to $400.00 a night with tax and everything included. Boo! But the airport hotel on the last night should be in the $100.00 range so we are trying to balance it out.
Port Adventure booking starts on April 10th. I've pretty much got it figured out. My sister and family members think I'm crazy, but I really want to go to Disneyland Paris on our day in Paris, and my daughter agrees and my husband doesn't seem to care either way .. so we're skipping the Eiffel Tower (unless we drive by it somehow) and instead visiting Mickey. The whole trip will be a lot of historical sights (which I adore), and castles and stone monuments, etc. ... so we figure it will be good for our 8 year old to get a day of pure fun!
Is anyone else on here going on this cruise? I did a search and don't see any other threads on the British Isles Cruise unless I'm not searching right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom