Journey Into Imagination Butterfly

Doodlyday

Original Poster
Does anyone know how the disappearing butterfly illusion in Journey Into Imagination works. I've been informed it is done with mirrors, but I still do not really understand.

dhslxop

It's a pretty simple effect. Basically, the side you first see of the cage has half a butterfly and a mirror. Because a butterfly is a symmetrical animal, the reflection in the mirror makes it look like the butterfly is a complete animal. Once you pass the cage, you are looking at the other side, which has only half a bar and a mirror. The mirror reflection looks like it is still the complete bar, but without the butterfly. The two mirrors are back to back. Because the outside cage is continuous, you don't notice that there are actually two back to back mirrors, giving the illusion that the butterfly disappears. Additionally, both of the bars are moving at the same speed, so your brain really sees it as one image.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The above explanation is pretty spot on. Honestly it took me a few ride throughs to realize how it worked also, but now its obvious to me.

Doodlyday

Original Poster
It's a pretty simple effect. Basically, the side you first see of the cage has half a butterfly and a mirror. Because a butterfly is a symmetrical animal, the reflection in the mirror makes it look like the butterfly is a complete animal. Once you pass the cage, you are looking at the other side, which has only half a bar and a mirror. The mirror reflection looks like it is still the complete bar, but without the butterfly. The two mirrors are back to back. Because the outside cage is continuous, you don't notice that there are actually two back to back mirrors, giving the illusion that the butterfly disappears. Additionally, both of the bars are moving at the same speed, so your brain really sees it as one image.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Thanks! I'll see if I can spot it next time I ride.

Goofyernmost

Well, all you'd really need to do is get Eric Idle and whomever does Figment to come in and record a few extra lines to switch it up, and then plug 'em in as needed.
I guess, but, would it have the intended message of Figment being a little mischievous critter? Before you say anything that is a bad personality they gave him and directly in contrast to the original Figment. :(

Matt_Black

I guess, but, would it have the intended message of Figment being a little mischievous critter? Before you say anything that is a bad personality they gave him and directly in contrast to the original Figment. :(

fictional-characters.gif

Matt_Black

What is your point. Everything in WDW is fictional. That doesn't mean I have to like everything does it?

People get so worked up over this. "Oh, Figment is slightly different than how he used to be! It's AWFUL!" By that logic, do you boycott the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, because Pete the Cat is portrayed differently than he traditionally is?

Goofyernmost

People get so worked up over this. "Oh, Figment is slightly different than how he used to be! It's AWFUL!" By that logic, do you boycott the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, because Pete the Cat is portrayed differently than he traditionally is?
Worked up? Seriously? I am hardly worked up over it. I just stated that they changed his personality from a lovable, innocent to a sometime obnoxious, smart a$$. I'm to old to care personally, but, Figment was a really good image for kids and now not so much. That's all! His wide eyed innocence was one of the reasons for his popularity amongst kids of all ages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom