Joint Care Supplements, what do you use?

frank2271

Original Poster
Hello,

I was wondering what supplements other runners use for joint health, if any? I have tried a couple, it's hard to know if they are working.

Frank

lukacseven

I used to take a Calcium/Magnesium supplement (1000 mg), Glucosamine, Multi-vitamin and vitamin C (500 mg) and E (400 iu) daily. I've read conflicting studies as to the affect on runner's liver and kidneys or if there's any aid at all in endurance. I think there are certain benefits to each, if taken at the right time in your training cycle. Right now I ditched the pills all together and am taking FRS. I find it helps with recovery and immune system.

frank2271

Original Poster
I used to take a Calcium/Magnesium supplement (1000 mg), Glucosamine, Multi-vitamin and vitamin C (500 mg) and E (400 iu) daily. I've read conflicting studies as to the affect on runner's liver and kidneys or if there's any aid at all in endurance. I think there are certain benefits to each, if taken at the right time in your training cycle. Right now I ditched the pills all together and am taking FRS. I find it helps with recovery and immune system.

What's FRS?

Phonedave

Not a suppliment, but I use Gookinaid Hydralyte as a drink when I can.

http://www.runningcenters.com/products/product.aspx?pid=59-6236 Not where I buy it, just the first link that popped up on a search.

I have been using it for years, I encountered it first when I was hiking and used to carry it on long hikes. When you are still 4 or 5 miles from the trailhead, really it and the sun is sinking quickly, a packet of Gookinaid in the water bottle got the motor running again. Good stuff, and no crazy mumbo jumbo. Basicly, the stuff is sweat - sounds nasty but makes sense. The creator of it collected samples of sweat, detemined what elements, minerals, electrolytes, etc were in the sweat and thought "if that is what you are loosing, then that is what you should be putting back in" Then he added some lemon flavor :)

-dave

frank2271

Original Poster
Not a suppliment, but I use Gookinaid Hydralyte as a drink when I can.

http://www.runningcenters.com/products/product.aspx?pid=59-6236 Not where I buy it, just the first link that popped up on a search.

I have been using it for years, I encountered it first when I was hiking and used to carry it on long hikes. When you are still 4 or 5 miles from the trailhead, really it and the sun is sinking quickly, a packet of Gookinaid in the water bottle got the motor running again. Good stuff, and no crazy mumbo jumbo. Basicly, the stuff is sweat - sounds nasty but makes sense. The creator of it collected samples of sweat, detemined what elements, minerals, electrolytes, etc were in the sweat and thought "if that is what you are loosing, then that is what you should be putting back in" Then he added some lemon flavor :)

-dave

Interesting, I'll check into it.

dreamfinder

I've taken a few different types of Glucosamine/Chondroitin, some with other things thrown in, others straight. I can't say I have noticed a huge difference either way. Last year or so was nothing, and my knees were fine, even with the Goofy training. Between soccer for 15 years growing up, skiing my whole life, and running the last 5 years my knees have taken a beating, but didn't notice a real difference. If anything, general muscle strength seemed to help better.

MCC1

Flex Caps from Ideal Health are the only one's we use now...my wife was having all kinds of hip joint problems, we finally got some relief through Prolo-Therapy which I am now a true believer in, but one area couldn't be treated due to where an artery ran through and was debilitating...got her on the Flex Caps which are much higher quality and she saw results pretty quickly, and after watching me run the Dis marathon in 2008, she got inspired now being almost pain free, and has since done the 09' & 10' disney halfs and the 09' & 10' Disney Princess 1/2's. I can get you more info if you want...

I don't take anything specifically for joint care. My doctor has me taking calcium, Vitamin D and a multi-vitamin, but not necessarily for joint care. What I find works well is a weekly dose of Yoga. It helps to stretch and strengthen your muscles thereby taking the pressure off your joints.

Main Street USA

Flex Caps from Ideal Health are the only one's we use now...my wife was having all kinds of hip joint problems, we finally got some relief through Prolo-Therapy which I am now a true believer in, but one area couldn't be treated due to where an artery ran through and was debilitating...got her on the Flex Caps which are much higher quality and she saw results pretty quickly, and after watching me run the Dis marathon in 2008, she got inspired now being almost pain free, and has since done the 09' & 10' disney halfs and the 09' & 10' Disney Princess 1/2's. I can get you more info if you want...
I'm having trouble finding where to buy the flex caps online. I went to idealhealth.com, but I can't find them on their site. Any help?

MCC1

I'm having trouble finding where to buy the flex caps online. I went to idealhealth.com, but I can't find them on their site. Any help?

http://www.idealhealth.com/default.aspx?sponsor=1411661

scroll over additional products and click on custom additionals
and then on FlexCaps for product information

My brother Pat's been using the products for 8 years and turned me on to the FlexCaps, he is now affiliated with the company - if you want more info on these or the other custom essentials: give him a shout at 720-304-0410 or email idealyou@comcast.net - he set me up with some preferred pricing options ...not sure what deals they have going now but you never know. Just say you saw his info here from his brother Glenn.:)

MCC1

Another bit of info I just found which relates to the Flexcaps...this just came in my most recent issue of Running & Fit News where they were talking about supplements and mentioned Bromelain...which is an extra ingredient in Flexcaps...just as in fyi if you were still looking, this may be the trick:

RUNNING & FITNEWS®
March / April 2010 • Volume 28, Number 2

"...the one healing supplement that truly seems to work with some consistency is found naturally in tropical fruit, mostly pineapples. It is the enzyme bromelain. Initially found to aid in digestion, subsequent research has shown that the enzyme helps the body clear itself of dead and damaged tissue almost anywhere, thus accelerating the healing process. Consumed regularly, bromelain has proved its worth in athletes training hard, aiding them to recover from both injury and the “planned trauma” of intense workouts."

Ed Nessel is a nationally known swimming coach with forty years experience coaching age-group, high school, collegiate, and masters swimmers of every ilk, including Olympic gold medalist Cullen Jones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom