Joe Rhode in Animal Kingdom now...

JungleTrekFan

BTW, different subject I know but since I got your attention, do you know what was behind the decision to raise lunch prices at the new BoG by 25-30% while it is still in soft opening?

I can answer that one! During cast, construction crew, and imagineering previews these people all got a 20% discount off food at many locations. For efficiency and so that these people could use the GAC terminals and get their discount on food, they just changed the prices to be 20% cheaper for the time being.

Either way seeing Joe in the park is always a good sign.

NewfieFan

Oh, Rodhe would have the Yeti fixed already. He lobbied to nibble some of the Avatarland funding away to adress some long-standing issues with DAK. Like $100 million.

Alas, with Kathy Magnum on board, I think the odds of Rhode getting his way just evaporated. Kathy Maggum's sole interest is overseeing Av'land, her career is linked with the succes of that one, not with cleaning up the six year old mess of Rodeh.

I see what you did there.

NewfieFan

I can answer that one! During cast, construction crew, and imagineering previews these people all got a 20% discount off food at many locations. For efficiency and so that these people could use the GAC terminals and get their discount on food, they just changed the prices to be 20% cheaper for the time being.

Either way seeing Joe in the park is always a good sign.

I read the exact same explanation on the Disneyfoodblog (I think it was the blog, I read so many Disney sites some days they run together). It sounds about right to me. Honestly, when I first saw the prices I was a little surprised they weren't higher considering the food does seem to be a step above a lot of the counter service food that's out there.

HMF

Alas, with Kathy Magnum on board, I think the odds of Rhode getting his way just evaporated. Kathy Maggum's sole interest is overseeing Av'land, her career is linked with the succes of that one, not with cleaning up the six year old mess of Rodeh.
Rohde is on a far higher level of creativy than Kathy (Nemo & Friends) Mangum.

Magenta Panther

Even Joe has written the Yeti off.

Thanks for the answer, and thank you too, Empress Lilly.

But I don't understand why Joe Rohde still has so much clout. I mean, Everest was his baby, right? And yet something happened in the design/building of the attraction that turned the Yeti into so much static yak hair. Was that his fault? What exactly is the reason for Zombie Yeti?

GrumpyFan

Oh, Rodhe would have the Yeti fixed already. He lobbied to nibble some of the Avatarland funding away to adress some long-standing issues with DAK. Like $100 million.

They each have different roles though, dont they? Joe is a designer, responsible for bringing the plans and ideas together, Kathy is a producer, responsible for overseeing those plans and ideas and managing the development of the project. It would seem to me, just based on their titles, that he would have more say in what goes into the project.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I don't care about any of the Disney mgmt peeps except Joe Rohde. I really like that guy. The AK is am amazing park and he is just kind of charming and appealing.

I'd be happy to see him. And I'm happy for you that you did.

Was he wearing one of those earrings that make you want to remove it from his ear? I love that guy, but those earring! I just got a little shiver in my shoulders thinking about those things.

Charming sometimes. Sometimes a pain in CM's tushie.

GiveMeTheMusic

Charming sometimes. Sometimes a pain in CM's tushie.

Okay, that video brings Disney fan sites to a terrifyingly hilarious TMZ level. Honest to God, who films Joe Rohde dipping diapered children into the reflecting pool at CTX? That is AMAZING.

I can't wait for footage to surface of Tom Fitzgerald throwing his churro wrapper in a planter. CountryBearFan is right - WDI is the enemy!

The Empress Lilly

Okay, that video brings Disney fan sites to a terrifyingly hilarious TMZ level. Honest to God, who films Joe Rohde dipping diapered children into the reflecting pool at CTX? That is AMAZING.

I can't wait for footage to surface of Tom Fitzgerald throwing his churro wrapper in a planter. CountryBearFan is right - WDI is the enemy!
Yes, it is not a big deal to play with your kid a bit.

However, CM's have a hard time keeping guests from bathing their toddlers in that fountain. Parents mistake it for 'Dinosaur's Playful Splash and Soak Spot'. And then here is the lead designer of the entire park, of that very fountain, letting his near-naked toddler play in it. o_O

articos

Technically, Joe's above Kathy in the exec ranks, but they have different roles. WDI's incredibly convoluted. Kathy's a producer, while Joe is primarily design based - which is why AK is so incredibly detailed and art designed. He does oversee projects as a Sr VP within WDI, and Animal Kingdom is still his baby, with Avatar falling under his realm. Kathy's overseeing FL as her main role now for WDI, overseeing multiple high profile projects, as Exec Producer/EVP of attraction and resort development (FL).

GiveMeTheMusic

Yes, it is not a big deal to play with your kid a bit.

However, CM's have a hard time keeping guests from bathing their toddlers in that fountain. Parents mistake it for 'Dinosaur's Playful Splash and Soak Spot'. And then here is the lead designer of the entire park, of that very fountain, letting his near-naked toddler play in it. o_O

Oh I understand the what in the world is he doing aspect of the event, but the fact that a fan filmed it is what is so hilarious. Did they follow him around all day with the camera? Did they just happen upon him and have an OMG moment - it's Joe Rohde, I need to film him? I love reading Parkeology, but this vid is a bit much. I guess I could have filmed Meg Crofton having lunch on Buena Vista Street in June. Was her napkin in the correct position on her lap? The world will never know. ;)

muteki

They each have different roles though, don't they? Joe is a designer, responsible for bringing the plans and ideas together, Kathy is a producer, responsible for overseeing those plans and ideas and managing the development of the project. It would seem to me, just based on their titles, that he would have more say in what goes into the project.

I could read that in a different way, and say that Kathy may be responsible for the budget or timing of the project that someone like Rohde would have to design to. It depends on the company, but in most places the designers don't make the specs, marketing/project management/systems engineering does. Designers just design and are tested to them. Heck, where I work most designers wouldn't dare pretend to know what a certain specification should be, they rather make marketing do it and blame them if it is wrong!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom