Jimmy Buffett passes at 76

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
Jimmy Buffett, a Florida icon, passed away after an undisclosed year long health battle. Like his music or hate it, he was a musical icon in music especially in Florida…I wasn’t a giant fan, but my wife was and I respected his talent, his showmanship and his huge fan base…R.I.P., Jimmy…yup, it’s 5 o’ clock somewhere ☹️

ETA: It has been announced that Jimmy died of Merkel cell carcinoma, a very rare skin cancer carcinoma ☹️😞

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Jimmy Buffett, a Florida icon, passed away after an undisclosed 2 year health battle. Like his music or hate it, he was a musical icon in music especially in Florida…I wasn’t a giant fan, but my wife was and I respected his talent, his showmanship and his huge fan base…R.I.P., Jimmy…yup, it’s 5 o’ clock somewhere ☹️

Wow, that sucks, and he was way too young.
I saw him during his Coconut Telegraph tour way back when, and he was awesome.
I need a drink.
After all, it is indeed 5 o’clock somewhere…RIP, Jimmy Buffet……. 🍺🌴

Lilofan

There was a story in the 1980s when Cuban guys on a rickety boat leaving Cuba landed near Jimmy's beach front home in Key West. Jimmy was at his residence and he provided them food and drink and cassette tapes of his music. RIP Jimmy.

Comped

Not many know, as it wasn't discussed a lot in the media, but Jimmy turned down a deal that would have seen Margaritaville be a partnership with Disney, including the flagship at the then Downtown Disney. Apparently it was thought he could take-off and land his plane on the lake. Universal paid him more money for the Orlando location - and he went his own way with the rest of the brand as well.

Not many know, as it wasn't discussed a lot in the media, but Jimmy turned down a deal that would have seen Margaritaville be a partnership with Disney, including the flagship at the then Downtown Disney. Apparently it was thought he could take-off and land his plane on the lake. Universal paid him more money for the Orlando location - and he went his own way with the rest of the brand as well.
I‘m not going to buy in to these rumors. Jimmy Buffett didn’t need others as much as they needed or desired him. Margaritaville was more of a licensing deal than it was a hands on effort to enter the restaurant business. Any deals that were made or not made mattered in a corporate sense but weren’t on his radar. I’m sure he cared about his reputation and to a certain extent his brand, but the rest was just business

Comped

I‘m not going to buy in to these rumors. Jimmy Buffett didn’t need others as much as they needed or desired him. Margaritaville was more of a licensing deal than it was a hands on effort to enter the restaurant business. Any deals that were made or not made mattered in a corporate sense but weren’t on his radar. I’m sure he cared about his reputation and to a certain extent his brand, but the rest was just business
Wasn't a rumour. Was told this by someone at Disney involved with the discussion at the corporate level at the time.

Alanzo

I actually thought he was a lot older. When I was in high school in the early 2000s I had a friend who was a 🦜 head which made no sense to me as I thought that was a total old person thing. Turns out Jimmy was only 54 at the time, not so far off from my age now...

I am pretty impressed with how he or his business people made a whole brand out of a song about getting hammered all day.

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
I actually thought he was a lot older. When I was in high school in the early 2000s I had a friend who was a 🦜 head which made no sense to me as I thought that was a total old person thing. Turns out Jimmy was only 54 at the time, not so far off from my age now...

I am pretty impressed with how he or his business people made a whole brand out of a song about getting hammered all day.
And didn’t have to resort to a Epcot like food & wine festival…

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Also the name of a Margartiaville themed retirement community in Daytona. No, I'm not kidding you...
Ok.

But the poster I quoted.mentioned a change in longitude, which AFAIK, no.one associates with Jimmy or Margaritaville. 🤷

If I'm.wrong, that's fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom