Jetblue - For Kids?

Rose Deboiser

Original Poster
Good morning, quick question if anyone knows the answer. Does Jetblue do anything for kids?

I remember growing up that when you took a plane ride, you would get a special pin and talk to the pilot, things like that. Granted, that was all before 9/11... but I didn't know if they still do that? My son has anxiety, and I think he would enjoy and the pin and meeting the pilot or seeing the cockpit might reduce his nerves. He always feels better when he Sees or Understands how something works.

Thank you!!
-Rose

RememberWhen

It never hurts to ask. We recently flew delta with our 2yo and after landing (so post flight) the pilot was happy to say hi and let DS see all the cool buttons in the cockpit. Possibly they might be busy pre-flight, but you can ask.

Weather_Lady

If the JetBlue attendants think a child is flying for the first time, the person at the podium (the one where you present your boarding passes just before going down the gangway) will often give the kids little JetBlue "wings" (they have stick-um on the back so they can be affixed to your child's clothing -- doesn't work as well as a pin but I guess they decided that giving out sharp objects to kids wasn't a good idea). If they don't offer, just ask. I don't think cockpit tours are still done, but if you asked to meet the pilot, that might be a possibility -- in fact, the pilots are often standing at the front of the aircraft as you get on and greeting passengers, right alongside the flight crew.

JetBlue is a very efficient airline and the seat-back screens should help your son relax and focus on something else, if he starts to get anxious -- just bring headphones for him (standard jack). Also, I recommend reading him some books about flying ahead of time. "My First Trip on an Airplane" and "The Noisy Airplane Ride" were two books we read my kids repeatedly before their first flight. The first book talked them through the airport/security/boarding processes, and the second book acquainted them with what it would feel and sound like to fly. (I think that the noises -- the engines, the landing gear, the fans -- are by far the most unexpected and potentially-frightening part of flying.) By the time the kids actually flew, they were fully apprised of what to expect and acted like a couple of old pros. (Also, be sure to act as confident and carefree as you know how, so your son can see there's nothing to worry about. I get very anxious about flying, but I used my best acting skills and feigned a breezy sense of calm throughout, which I think "rubbed off" on the kids.) :)

Last edited:
Even if you are unable to meet the pilot, the tvs that Weather_Lady mentioned have a good amount of channels. I always fly Jet Blue now because the flight feels like nothing with all of the distractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom