Jealous of Disney "newbies?

I really enjoy going with newbies but I'm glad to have the experience under my belt. I think it helps get the most out of the Disney trips. My neighbors are taking their 5 year old this summer for the first time. I would love to see the look on her face! It was so fun to take my kids when they were little.

DisneyDebNJ

Anyone else ever get that feeling of wishing you didn't know as much as you do about Disney? I think about that when I hear obvious newbies sayinh things like, "there's supposedly a fireworks show at 9 called illuminations or something." or "Oh there's the castle!! It looks so much bigger in person!" or "excuse me, is that Adventureland?" Does anyone else ever wish you could just, even for a moment, erase all previous Disney memories, and just drink it all in again for the first time?
This is going to sound so cliche... I wouldn't trade my Disney memories for a pot of gold. Although I have been MANY times, I learn or experience something new each visit. One of the highlights of my planning each trip, is adding something we never did before, as well as visiting old favorite and remembering when....

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
It's a double edged sword really.

I think if anyone around here was offered the chance of being wowed like only a first time visit can do, they would take it.

Being a WDW nut like everyone around here is: researching every aspect, talking about and thinking about WDW every free minute, eventually results in having a (possibly not so desirable) look 'behind the curtain'.

The vets are going to know the difference between what WDW is now and the hey day of our favorite place and not have that "wow" feeling anymore, However the way that WDW is today, both expansive (4 parks and 2 water parks) and complicated (advanced ADR, FP+) it favors the veteran as far as maximizing your vacation and truly enjoying yourself.

Susan Savia

No, not jealous of newbies. I love going to the parks and knowing all the shortcuts and secrets. We've made the trip so many times (annually since 1984) and each trip even after all these years is just as special as the very first time we went!

Cubfan300

As a "newbie," part of me is very excited to be planning my first trip as an adult. I went to WDW several times as a kid, mostly when I was little, and then once in my teens... but even that was 13 years ago, and I remember some things about WDW, but definitely not enough to piece together an entire trip or even to feel like I know what I'm doing when planning my trip, which is what led me here ;)

I think, in a way, I have the best of both worlds with this trip; I have the newness that comes with having the ownership of being able to plan this trip chaperon-free, but I also have friends here to which I can turn and ask questions in advance so I can (hopefully) avoid certain newbie mistakes and make the most of our trip, since we won't likely be able to go back for several years at best.

The whole thing is going to be pretty much brand-new for DH. He went to WDW when he was four, but he was too small to ride much, so all he remembers is long lines to nowhere and lots of miserable heat. He says he thinks he may have gotten some Mickey ears... lol. So it'll be kinda cool to see how he, as a 31-year-old man experiencing WDW for the first time, responds to it all lol. In a way, I'm hoping that, if nothing else, this trip will be a good preview for him to show him that we need to try and plan later for future trips when we have kids.
I went when I was young ( 4 or 5) and don't remember anything. When we went in 2012 with my then 9 year old son and my wife, it was like a first visit for all of us. I think they got to see the amazement and wonder in my eyes, as a 43 year old, that I saw in my son's 9 year old perspective. It never gets old or stale to me. We are planning yet another trip for this September and I believe that it will be the best one yet!!!

DisneyDebNJ

I think if anyone around here was offered the chance of being wowed like only a first time visit can do, they would take it.

Being a WDW nut like everyone around here is: researching every aspect, talking about and thinking about WDW every free minute, eventually results in having a (possibly not so desirable) look 'behind the curtain'.

The vets are going to know the difference between what WDW is now and the hey day of our favorite place and not have that "wow" feeling anymore, However the way that WDW is today, both expansive (4 parks and 2 water parks) and complicated (advanced ADR, FP+) it favors the veteran as far as maximizing your vacation and truly enjoying yourself.
Kudos Bro!! The bottom line... every trip has memories, new experiences and pics to prove it!!!

Even though we go a few times a month I still love walking into MK and seeing the Castle. I get angry when the person behind me feels like he has to give a play by play of the attractions. I feel bad for the people around him that are there for the first time having that experience ruined.

popcenturylover

My very first trip was the year that Epcot opened. I was 8 (boy, am I telling my age or what!?) & it was "Magical"!!! Still love it but, there could be some improvements. Especially where EPCOT is concerned!

Tinkerbella16

Couldn't agree more! It is becoming VERY expensive and very complicated with ADR's and FP Plus, etc... oh the days when you could walk up to ANY and all restaurants, I miss those days! I also miss the buy 4 nights, get 3 free promotions they used to always have during value seasons!

copcarguyp71

Yes, sometimes I wish I hadn't experienced WDW over the span of 34 years. I wouldn't be quite so jaded, and my visits would be as blissful as they were when I was younger.

Pretty much sums it up for me...the joy of discovery is lost on many of us Disney veterans. But as a counter point I would have to say that newbs are going to have a much tougher time in this "new age" of My Magic+ and the age of the Magic Band.

Those of us in the know will be aware of the ins and outs but being a newbie right now must be so overwhelming and confusing. Putting myself in the shoes of a newb I would probably go into it totally blind thinking..."Meh, amusement park...let's just walk in" and then being pretty angry about ride reservations, dinner reservations and any number of other little quirks known only to those who have been before or who have done research leading up to the trip. Let alone the fact that the caliber of cast members willing to help out with friendly advice and instruction has dropped off significantly in recent years.

So I guess in summation...for the joy of discovery I envy the new kids but would not want to go back and be one in this day and age.

Figmentation

Pretty much sums it up for me...the joy of discovery is lost on many of us Disney veterans. But as a counter point I would have to say that newbs are going to have a much tougher time in this "new age" of My Magic+ and the age of the Magic Band.

Those of us in the know will be aware of the ins and outs but being a newbie right now must be so overwhelming and confusing. Putting myself in the shoes of a newb I would probably go into it totally blind thinking..."Meh, amusement park...let's just walk in" and then being pretty angry about ride reservations, dinner reservations and any number of other little quirks known only to those who have been before or who have done research leading up to the trip. Let alone the fact that the caliber of cast members willing to help out with friendly advice and instruction has dropped off significantly in recent years.

So I guess in summation...for the joy of discovery I envy the new kids but would not want to go back and be one in this day and age.

I agree with pretty much everything above.

There's a difference between being a newbie now and a newbie then.

Newbie Now: 4 parks, 2 water parks, a golf course, My Magic+/FP+, Downtown Disney. It's a lot to take in, a lot to try and get done during the single week (or less) you are there. You won't have as much fun in my opinion because you rush to get everything in, you rush to get everything done. Everything is done on a schedule, down to the minute and getting side tracked causes people to stress out more.

Newbie then: 3 parks, 2 water parks, a golf course, Disney Village and/or Downtown Disney. There's a little bit less to do. The parks are not as busy or popular during the off season, unless it is Spring Break. The biggest park to goto is the Magic Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios just opened (Or maybe not even opened yet depending on how old you are.) There is only 2 rids at the Studios and mostly stage shows, so MK and Epcot gets most of the business. You can relax as you walk from ride to ride, and Peter Pan never got busy (I remember this.. Peter Pan was a walk on ride for YEARS.. I have no clue how it became popular.) The longest waits came from Space/Splash/Thunder mountain.

I feel kinda old. lol.

But how I see it.. the less you had to do, the less stress you had. You could do MK in a single day even, but most trips had people going two days because they took their time.

This is my opinion of course. :D

popcenturylover

I agree with pretty much everything above.

There's a difference between being a newbie now and a newbie then.

Newbie Now: 4 parks, 2 water parks, a golf course, My Magic+/FP+, Downtown Disney. It's a lot to take in, a lot to try and get done during the single week (or less) you are there. You won't have as much fun in my opinion because you rush to get everything in, you rush to get everything done. Everything is done on a schedule, down to the minute and getting side tracked causes people to stress out more.

Newbie then: 3 parks, 2 water parks, a golf course, Disney Village and/or Downtown Disney. There's a little bit less to do. The parks are not as busy or popular during the off season, unless it is Spring Break. The biggest park to goto is the Magic Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios just opened (Or maybe not even opened yet depending on how old you are.) There is only 2 rids at the Studios and mostly stage shows, so MK and Epcot gets most of the business. You can relax as you walk from ride to ride, and Peter Pan never got busy (I remember this.. Peter Pan was a walk on ride for YEARS.. I have no clue how it became popular.) The longest waits came from Space/Splash/Thunder mountain.

I feel kinda old. lol.

But how I see it.. the less you had to do, the less stress you had. You could do MK in a single day even, but most trips had people going two days because they took their time.

This is my opinion of course. :D
On my first 2 trips there were only 2 parks so imagine how old I feel!? I agree that you could do MK in a day though but, like you said most would take their time & do it in 2!

tl77

No, I'd hate to lose the memories I have of it, and how some of the things used be. Experiencing 1980's Epcot with my grandmother in particular, I wouldn't want to trade that in for a fresh eyed look at the Epcot of today

Jabbas

I actually like being a "veteran" if that's what you wanna call it. I like planning things and know things ahead of time. My boyfriend is the complete opposite, couldn't plan a vacation to save his life. I had to plan my own birthday. I haven't gone to Disney enough times that I'm sick of it though. I go maybe to two parks every couple of months.

DfromATX

That's why we're going to take a break from Disney this year sadly.:( I think if we decide to go in 2015, then we'll be able to enjoy the "newness" of it all. I mean I want to ride the mine train and all that, but it just will have to wait!:(

We are on Disney "off years" now. Went in June 2013, but probably won't go again until 2016 or 2017! That seems so far away, but what I remind myself of is that there will be a few new things to check out when we go again - the mine train, Avatarland (maybe?)... I'm sure a few other things too.

danpam1024

I love knowing how it used to be and look forward to being a newbie again when it rises back up to the caliper it used to hold itself to:joyfull:. Haven't been on a "Disney" trip since '11 other than Food and Wine and a couple trips to DTD- so maybe in a few more years??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom