Jealous of Disney "newbies?

Father Robinson

Original Poster
Anyone else ever get that feeling of wishing you didn't know as much as you do about Disney? I think about that when I hear obvious newbies sayinh things like, "there's supposedly a fireworks show at 9 called illuminations or something." or "Oh there's the castle!! It looks so much bigger in person!" or "excuse me, is that Adventureland?" Does anyone else ever wish you could just, even for a moment, erase all previous Disney memories, and just drink it all in again for the first time?

Tinkerfan4ever

That is why I love going with newbies! We have gone with my parents, inlaws, friends and have a trip booked with my sister and her family. Even though it isn't new to me.. it is new to them and I light up just seeing their reactions. We are very fortunate to go as often as we do, and even more fortunate that we are able to have family join us!

draybook

It was my first trip since 20000 and I remember being awestruck walking down MSUSA in front of the Castle, watching the Dreams Come True Parade, and the feeling I got after watching Fantasmic for the first time.

time-machine-papercraft_zps5554edc2.jpg

IN all seriousness, 2008 was our first trip and I agree, that was a GREAT time!

rt06

I think a little familiarity offers a more "efficient" experience. Newbies haven't seen everything there is to be seen. Veterans already know what needs to be experienced.

I love figuring out how to navigate a new locale without a map or guidance. That's when it becomes a part of you. And then it's time to go home.

ImagineerDude

Anyone else ever get that feeling of wishing you didn't know as much as you do about Disney? I think about that when I hear obvious newbies sayinh things like, "there's supposedly a fireworks show at 9 called illuminations or something." or "Oh there's the castle!! It looks so much bigger in person!" or "excuse me, is that Adventureland?" Does anyone else ever wish you could just, even for a moment, erase all previous Disney memories, and just drink it all in again for the first time?
I still say these things :p I actually find Disney more enjoyable the more I know. I know how to maneuver around the crowds, where to eat, shop, go, what we like, etc. My first time to Disneyland was "worse" than my literally 10th trip to WDW this past December. But that's just me too. maybe I make myself get too excited about going...I cry when I leave MK. No regrets.

jlsHouston

My first trip was 2011...am I still a newbie? I kind of feel like it still...but all my friends and relatives think after 8 visits I should know and have seen everything at WDW....so far not one single trip has been stale. They have all been great vacations.

5thGenTexan

I am not really sure what I am. Went twice in the mid 80's. Once in 1992 on a band trip. Spent one day last year at the Magic Kingdom as a port experience on DCL. I am not sure if I am a newbie or infrequent veteran.

morningstar

For a moment only. On balance I think I'd rather keep memories of Horizons, the original Imagination, etc. Sorry for typical good-ole-days line.

cw1982

As a "newbie," part of me is very excited to be planning my first trip as an adult. I went to WDW several times as a kid, mostly when I was little, and then once in my teens... but even that was 13 years ago, and I remember some things about WDW, but definitely not enough to piece together an entire trip or even to feel like I know what I'm doing when planning my trip, which is what led me here ;)

I think, in a way, I have the best of both worlds with this trip; I have the newness that comes with having the ownership of being able to plan this trip chaperon-free, but I also have friends here to which I can turn and ask questions in advance so I can (hopefully) avoid certain newbie mistakes and make the most of our trip, since we won't likely be able to go back for several years at best.

The whole thing is going to be pretty much brand-new for DH. He went to WDW when he was four, but he was too small to ride much, so all he remembers is long lines to nowhere and lots of miserable heat. He says he thinks he may have gotten some Mickey ears... lol. So it'll be kinda cool to see how he, as a 31-year-old man experiencing WDW for the first time, responds to it all lol. In a way, I'm hoping that, if nothing else, this trip will be a good preview for him to show him that we need to try and plan later for future trips when we have kids.

Mukta

No, I take great pride in the fact that I visit the American parks regularly and know a lot about them. It is a hobby and a big part of my life. I think I would be a different person if I didn't grow up going to Disney parks regularly my whole life. It is so intertwined with who I am at this point, I can't imagine an alternative.

madtea_party

I actually love that I know what I know about the parks. I like that I don't need a map to walk around and that I know which attractions I like and what are worth waiting in line for. I feel like being a newbie is all about finding your way around WDW and trying everything. That can be really stressful considering how large the resort is. Now it is much more relaxed for me because I can relax at the parks and just take it in instead of trying to figure it out.

And anyways, when I step onto Main Street and look at the castle, it is still amazing and magical. For the most part, everything still feels exciting to me. Every trip I go on is a new experience and that's what I love about Disney.

Tinkerbella16

I actually don't wish to be a newbie again. I honestly have never thought about it. I also take pride in the fact that I visit WDW as much as I do. I really do appreciate everything more than I did as a kid. I get to go knowing the place like the back of my hand, so when I am there I look forward to all of the fun little things and big things there are to do. And the planning is much more fun and not stressful because I know a lot that there is to know already. My friends who have gone or are going, all come to me to help plan their trips and I love the fact that I can help them in so many ways to make their trips more enjoyable and less hectic and overwhelming.

The memories I have of past trips as a kid.. I still remember them all. I still remember going for the first time in 1992, that trip felt like yesterday. I was once afraid of rides that are now my favorite rides!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom