Jaws closing?

c-one

Ghostbusters is the one Universal attraction where the replacement is clearly inferior to the original.

Speaking of a shooter dark ride, did such things even exist when Ghostbusters was put in?

Heh. Definitely not.

Since E.T. is one of those movies that Spielberg "updates" every 10 years or so, I think/hope it's here to stay. I would hope any upgrades to the attraction are more well-thought-out than trading guns for walkie-talkies, though.

scoobygirl39541

I'm not knocking or cheering their decision one way or the other. Just an observation on how, with the closure of three attractions, Universal has completely erased any memories I have of what that park was growing up. Any old recollections I have of Universal in the 90's are gone.

I was born in 1989, so I grew up watching a TON of Nickelodeon in the 90's. At the end of essentially every live-action show, you always heard the "... was recorded in front of a live audience at Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando at Universal Studios Florida." You'd see the blue and orange studios and the spinning globe. And I remember seeing commercials like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDOt_8Ng3rw

...and always wanting to go there. By the time I was 10 years old, I had been to Disney four times (and loved every minute of it, of course) but I always wanted to go to Universal. And in my mind, Universal was Back To The Future, King Kong, Jaws, and Woody Woodpecker. That was the mental image I had. I ended up going to Universal a few times when I was a pre-teen, because my grandmother moved to Florida and my aunt, who's only a few years older than me, took me. I enjoyed it, got to ride all the "classic" Universal rides. But even then, it wasn't quite what I had pictured growing up.

Nickelodeon Studios was definitely a letdown at that point. Perhaps I had gotten too old for it, but it just didn't have, I don't know, the charm it had in the 90's, something was missing.

Anyways, now that I've rambled on, I just feel like with the closure of Jaws in addition to Kong and BTTF, it's as if the park has been gutted and built from scratch from what I grew up on. The thing's left that I feel like I have memories with are E.T. and Beetlejuice (lol). And maybe the Fievel playground, I think that's still open.

So like I said, I'm not knocking them, I haven't been to one of their parks in almost 10 years so I can't be one to complain. In my mind's eye it just seems like a COMPLETELY different park. Disney will always be changing, but I think certain staples will always remain. I'm not talking pure nostalgia like COP, but the quintessential Disney ride, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, I think they will always be there. Enhanced, yes, but always there. Universal, not so much. Perhaps it's different because the park is only 20 years old, but still, I guess nothing is safe there. Does anybody get what I'm saying?

wow I completely agree! I was also born in 1989 and fondly remember those Nickelodeon commercials! Actually until I was maybe 8, I thought that was a magical place only special people could go to! haha I wasn't able to go until 11 and by then almost all the Nick stuff was gone and it wasn't anything like I imagined. I was really disappointed! I also remember the Alfred Hitchcock thing! That may have been the first thing we did there actually. But you brought up a great point, its only been 11 years since my first trip and already its practically a new park. Some people may think this is GREAT, but I miss the nostalgia :(

ETA: And I'm not saying there should be NO change. I LOVE the Mummy ride way more than King Kong... but I guess I should expect that one to go away in another 10 years as well :(

cheezbat

Ghostbusters is the one Universal attraction where the replacement is clearly inferior to the original.

Speaking of a shooter dark ride, did such things even exist when Ghostbusters was put in?

Nope. But the Sally Dark ride company actually created a model of a Ghostbusters themed shooter ride. I saw it at their plant in Jacksonville. It looked sweet! Rumor was it was planned for the park in Dubai...but obviously that hasn't gotten off the ground. I would still like to see this ending up somewhere someday.

c-one

Nope. But the Sally Dark ride company actually created a model of a Ghostbusters themed shooter ride. I saw it at their plant in Jacksonville. It looked sweet! Rumor was it was planned for the park in Dubai...but obviously that hasn't gotten off the ground. I would still like to see this ending up somewhere someday.

There IS another Ghostbusters movie in the works, isn't there?

AswaySuller

There IS another Ghostbusters movie in the works, isn't there?

I personally doubt it'll happen. It's been talked about for ten plus years... one week Bill Murrary says he'll do it the next he wont..

I think they did the video game to test the water but I personally don't think a new movie will ever happen....

and if the plot lines are heard are accurate that's a good thing!

Timekeeper

With all of this 3D nonsense, including MIB 3, a movie like Ghostbusters is the kind that is just begging to be made in 3D. The only problem is that the return on inflated prices for 3D movies is hit and miss, depending on how successful the movie is at the box office.

So, if consumer interest looks promising, the availability of 3D in so many theaters may be enough to encourage production more nowadays than say 5 years ago.

Of all the recent 3D movies as of late, don't you think that a properly done Ghostbusters would be the perfect marriage for the technology? :sohappy:

c-one

Yes, but "properly done" is the key. I think the ship has sailed on new Ghostbusters movies -- it's been way too long and none of the actors, except maybe Bill Murray, are as funny now as they were then.

AswaySuller

I'm not sure there would be much point upscailing it to 3D..... if anything is gonna happen it'd be for the 30th (which is 2014) maybe a digital release in theatres.

It's not the sort of movie that "pokes you in the eye" It wouldn't work in 3D nearly as well as something like say 'The Abyss' or 'Alien' 'Jurassic Park' etc...

Timekeeper

I'm not sure there would be much point upscailing it to 3D..... if anything is gonna happen it'd be for the 30th (which is 2014) maybe a digital release in theatres.

It's not the sort of movie that "pokes you in the eye" It wouldn't work in 3D nearly as well as something like say 'The Abyss' or 'Alien' 'Jurassic Park' etc...

A couple of comments in response to the above:

• I was referring to a potentially new Ghostbusters movie. I wouldn't necessarily advocate for converting the originals to 3D.j But as for a new movie, I think it would actually be justified (versus, say, Schindler's List in 3D, which doesn't really "fit" the tone of the film).
  • Only theme park 3D "pokes you in the eye." For the most part, feature film 3D intentionally avoids doing this, unless there's a particular moment in the film that calls for a "cheap jab" at the audience (like in a Final Destination-type film). Feature film 3D typically creates more depth to the image, so it appears as though the "depth" goes from the project screen and beyond (like the updated Star Tours attraction which simulates looking out a window), and not from the projection screen to your face (like many of the shots in Captain EO, Muppetvision, T2 3D, Shrek 4D, etc.)
  • On that note, I think that ghosts and such - which have always been quite comical and animated in the Ghostbusters films - are the perfect candidate for 3D, because they fly around in 3D space, and since they would most likely be computer-generated, the 3D could be "done properly," ala Avatar. If anything on screen is going to "poke you in the eye," it would most likely be Slimer - he's the kinda guy that would do something like that to you. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom