Jaws closing?

Pioneer Hall

That's different. It's one thing in the bridge because they had to create connections to the rest of the park. I highly doubt J.K. Rowling would allow them to make such a glaring error as to have a train station in Diagon Alley. If they do wind up building this I'm sure Diagon Alley will be its own separate section, and guests would board a train from King's Cross. As long as they're separate it doesn't matter how geographically close they are, considering Diagon Alley doesn't even exist in real life and no one could really say Kings Cross Station couldn't be right around the corner from the Leaky Cauldron (the pub that has the entrance to Diagon Alley behind it).

However, she did allow Ollivander's to be in Hogsmeade.

Alektronic

A lot of people will be upset about Jaws. I always enjoyed that ride also, but it was very expensive to run and maintain like many water rides. So I can understand that. Just like when Disney closed down 20K because it cost a lot to maintain.

At least, Universal is turning around and reusing that space immediately and not waiting 20 years and calling it FL biggest expansion ever when they are just reusing the same land.

Bairstow

Now that I think about it, having a footbridge from Hogwarts Castle to Isla Nublar would have vastly improved the books and movies.

Harry Potter and the Dilophosaur Paddock
Harry Potter and the Lysine Deficiency
Harry Potter and the Costa Rican Air Force

Then in the last book Dumbledore reveals that he and Richard Hammond are actually the same person and Voldemort is being paid off by BioSyn.

novawildcat18

There was a branch of Ollivander's that was in Hogsmeade. It wasn't run by Ollivander himself though. So the Ollivander's in WWoHP makes sense.

novawildcat18

Since when?

It's stated in the Harry Potter Wiki. It may have been added to the wiki after the WWoHP but it also may have been mentioned in an interview with J.K. There is a lot of information that has come about solely from these interviews (for example, Dumbledores sexuality). No where in the book does it say there's NOT an Ollivander's in Hogsmeade. I don't think it said anything about the topic one way or another.

SMS55

P.S. The old Hard Rock Cafe is right behind Kids Zone, so I seriously doubt Transformers would go there... Just sayin'...

There is a huge toyline associated with Transformers so children are a part of the target audience. Transformers also makes sense because Hasbro isn't done with the franchise. Some people hate the movies but they have a following and there is already talk of continuing the franchise.

Bairstow

Should they build Diagon Alley at Jaws I think it's safe to assume they will retcon a train station into the wiki also.

c-one

There is a huge toyline associated with Transformers so children are a part of the target audience. Transformers also makes sense because Hasbro isn't done with the franchise. Some people hate the movies but they have a following and there is already talk of continuing the franchise.

The ride is based on the movies. Neither are aimed at children in any respect.

RSoxNo1

what?? so the plan (or so it seems) is to not only expand potter in IoA but also leak it over to US?! jeeze. they might as well close all the other attractions and call themselves harry potter studios. talk about too much.

You realize that this is the single most popular theme park expansion in history, right? Nothing else has been remotely close.

Here's a question... if the guests are boarding the Hogwarts Express at Kings Cross, how are they going to get the Muggles onto Platform 9 3/4? I'm not gonna be the first one running into that wall...

I had the same concern as well, and I'm sure that was/is a sticking point for JK Rowling as well. I know she wanted to have components like this built into The Wizarding World, but realstically it doesn't work in a theme park setting.

Regardless, Screamscape is now reporting that WWoHP Phase 2 will most likely be taking over the Fear Factor show theater also. This is a move that will probably be welcomed by all. I wonder if they will use the show theater for an HP show or if it will be demolished and the land used for "London". Personally, I think a show building would absolutely kill the environment. The only live show that I can see happening would be something like Sinbad's theater where it is kind of tucked away and not in the middle of the world. That would kill the realism of the atmosphere.

On another personal note, I don't think that a Harry Potter live show is the best idea. The characters are way too identifiable to have a live actor accurately portray the character. Of course, the same could be said for a show like Indiana Jones, but I just don't like the idea of a live HP show.

There is also a large expansion area behind Fear Factor/Men in Black that theoretically also could be used.

captainkidd

You realize that this is the single most popular theme park expansion in history, right? Nothing else has been remotely close.

So? Leave it where it is, and expand where it is. Disney could have very well said "Let's not build Epcot as a different park from the Magic Kingdom. Let's just expand that way."

I don't care how popular HP is, to bring it to the original park is overkill. The movies are done with. The franchise isn't going to get more popular from this point.

Blueliner

I have been to Universal Studios Florida/Islands of Adventure only once (last spring). We spent two days in the parks, hopping from one to the other both days. Personally, I loved the entire Amity area. I am a big fan of the movie Jaws, and I thought the Jaws ride was fun.

I hate to see the Amity area go, but I am beginning to think there could be a nice thematic element to the Harry Potter expansion to the Studio side, particularly in the Amity area. If they build the "London" side of the Harry Potter universe on the Studio side, it certainly could transition very smoothly into the San Francisco streetscape and then to New York, etc. It may be that there are some London elements to the expansion that are not strictly Harry Potter, which could ease the transition.

Bairstow

So? Leave it where it is, and expand where it is. Disney could have very well said "Let's not build Epcot as a different park from the Magic Kingdom. Let's just expand that way."

I don't care how popular HP is, to bring it to the original park is overkill. The movies are done with. The franchise isn't going to get more popular from this point.

I don't think the current Wizarding World attractions come anywhere close to meeting the current appetite of the park's clientele.

You may disagree, but I think it's a safe assumption that the Potter book and film franchise will be of an enduring popularity such that investing further into its presence at Universal's parks is a sound long-term strategy.

Currently, appeal of the Wizarding World is such that many families who otherwise would have come to Florida only to see the Disney parks are tacking one day at Islands in order to see it.
If nothing else, putting Potter attractions in two parks will motivate these kinds of guests to purchase either a single or 2-day park hopper pass, a change which would not only greatly increase Universal's overall attendance for their parks but also help them balance attendance between the two.

enchanted_belle

The movies may be done, but JK still has side projects that she is working on (ie, the Encyclopedia), as well as the addition of Pottermore into the scope. The franchise isn't only the 10 years of movies, it's the books as well, and Philosopher's Stone was first released in 1997, making it only two years younger than Toy Story.

novawildcat18

I think it's also definitely possible that the whole "London" area isn't strictly Harry Potter. There may be some actual London attractions. I don't have a clue what else could possibly go in, but maybe Universal has some ideas.

scoobygirl39541

what?? so the plan (or so it seems) is to not only expand potter in IoA but also leak it over to US?! jeeze. they might as well close all the other attractions and call themselves harry potter studios. talk about too much.

This. Now rumors are flying that it will go up past Fear Factor... Should I start calling it Harry Potter Studios? Overkill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom