Japanese trailer for Tomorrowland

WDWResort

Original Poster
The Japanese trailer for Tomorrowland hit the web last night & this morning I find out Disney has removed it. Did anyone get a chance to catch it? I lost my mind when they showed certain scenes. The trailer showed some stuff some people might consider spoiler-ish, but I don't think they are. Let's discuss!

216bruce

It's much closer in content to what was teased at D23 in 2013. The Walt and Disneyland connection was pretty strong there and it wasn't presented as just a sci fi movie. There's really a mythology of sorts behind it now. I even wonder if the Disney connection isn't emphasized in the US trailer because it might be a turnoff to some since it might be seen as too weird or nerdy. I mean, IASW and all that might be a negative to some. Not us, but the public in general.
Also, if the app for the movie still exists in ITunes App Store,by all means check it out.

Jahona

Now that I know it's directly connected to the parks.... I'm not sure how I feel. I'm still excited for the movie but also hope that this doesn't turn into a giant advertisement.

216bruce

Now that I know it's directly connected to the parks.... I'm not sure how I feel. I'm still excited for the movie but also hope that this doesn't turn into a giant advertisement.
I don't think it is or will be. The references to the park are really historical in nature- 1964 World's fair, Walt, etc. and are there to place a "What if?" spin on the whole idea of "a place where you can change the future". It's really fascinating. I do get where you might think that way, especially with a healthy suspicion of all things corporate. I don't think Brad Bird would let it go that way. He's a bit iconoclastic in some ways and really an independent thinker in his films point of view. I do admit to going "Huh, what the..." with the flying bathtub, but I''l let it go, suspend disbelief, and hope for the best.

Jahona

I doubt it too with Brad Bird directing. I just think it's interesting that the parks clips were included in the Japanese version but left out for the US trailer.

Californian Elitist

This was significantly better than the US trailer. This trailer reminds me of the treasure hunt-like game Brad Bird had Southern Californians playing across Orange County and Los Angeles County to promote the film some time back.

216bruce

I honestly think that the inclusion of Small World and the parks would turn a lot of people off. They'd probably think "It's a kids movie" or "Looks silly". For us Disnerds it's gold!

prberk

This was significantly better than the US trailer. This trailer reminds me of the treasure hunt-like game Brad Bird had Southern Californians playing across Orange County and Los Angeles County to promote the film some time back.

I honestly think that the inclusion of Small World and the parks would turn a lot of people off. They'd probably think "It's a kids movie" or "Looks silly". For us Disnerds it's gold!

I actually think people would like it. This trailer actually makes more sense than the bland one currently in U.S. theatres. Plus, it comes after audiences seeing some of the same historical Disney played in "Saving Mr. Banks." But mostly I think it gives the movie context.

As for the "parks" reference, yes, she mentioned "Disney" (like most people call Walt Disney World these days) in reference to Tomorrowland, but it is clear that they are taking their genesis from the 1964 World's Fair -- which broadens it and also is something that was clearly a milestone for so many.

And the story seems cool so far. Another take on the "reclusive genius" idea. (Remember Professor Falken, the scientist character in "War Games," who had developed the war-fighting computer only to find the arms race futile and retire to a cabin in the woods until the teenagers found him and needed him to help save the world?)

I am looking forward to it, and I think it will play well. I lead a youth group at church, and I will have to show them this and see what they say.

But, back to being a geek for a minute: I have to post this still that I captured. It was enough to sell me in my personal nerd-ness beyond Disney. LOL. Check out the nerd candy in this still:

Tomorrowland movie shot robots.jpg

Danger, danger, Will Robinson!! I am standing next to R2D2 and across from Han Solo frozen in carbonite!!

OK, back to the conversation at hand. Carry on...

WDWResort

Original Poster
I absolutely cannot wait. I wonder why Disney pulled it from YouTube. Do you think it's because it showed things we weren't supposed to see?

216bruce

It looks spectacular. It's like Disney fan fiction. hahaha
Exactly. show the two trailers to a non-Disnerd (I have) and they both preferred the US trailer. Reasons stated: "Looks cool" " "Pretty cool, but a bathtub?"- US version
"I don't get it, what's the deal with the ride?" " Stupid."- Japanese version
The US has way different tastes than the Japanese with movies, sci-fi and perceptions of Disney.
Personally, I love the Japanese trailer FOR the Disney connection.

Magenta Panther

I disagree. I think those elements add something most people can identify with, whether they're sci-fi fans or not. (And I'm not, generally speaking). So I'm even more interested now in seeing the film.

Figments Friend

Looks interesting.
Might well be something i need to check out on the big screen when release day arrives.
The concept art i have seen over the last few months has been nice, but the Japanese trailer is indeed far more enticing to look at then the action-centric US version of the film trailer.

Quite like what i am seeing here.
Actually feeling a twinge of excitement to see this at the movies..in IMAX no less.
Oh yes....feeling it.

Wow...it's been a long time since i have felt that!

216bruce

I disagree. I think those elements add something most people can identify with, whether they're sci-fi fans or not. (And I'm not, generally speaking). So I'm even more interested now in seeing the film.
AS am I, however, after showing the Japanese trailer to a buddy who loves all things nerdy, he didn't get what the big deal was about the Disney content and park connection. And some solid sci-fi fans will view that Disney content that we hold so dear as silly. Honest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom