Trip Report It's Not Minneapolis Hubby, it's WDW! November 2015 & lots of pictures!

Hi all! This is my first trip report so I will explain the title first....

My husband and I always spend a weekend in November in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota). But we have annual passes this year for WDW and Disneyland, so I decided to surprise my husband with a trip to WDW. I let him think for about three months that we were doing our traditional weekend. We planned activities, like a show (that I told him I would take care of getting the tickets), and places to eat, but all along I had already booked WDW. I even made him watch episodes of the Chew to see the Food and Wine festival stuff, and given him a "guilt trip" because I wouldn't be able to see the Osborne Lights one last time. My husband is a pastor so I had to watch his schedule pretty close in case something like a funeral came along (which one did), but he had already arranged the Sunday off for Minneapolis so I didn't have to worry about that.

So, my original plan was to tell him the night before we left. But I soon realized that he would need more time to prepare. The week that we were to leave, a lady in my congregation that my husband was quite close to lost her battle with cancer. The funeral was on the Tuesday before we left, so I decided that I would tell him about the surprise trip that night, so he could prepare and it would be a nice relief from the grief he was feeling. Well, hubby came home and I let him settled and he was cruisin' facebook and casually I asked him if he wanted to ride any rides this weekend. He of course is thinking I want to go on rides at the Mall of America said no.
So I asked, "Really not even Big Thunder Mountain?"
Hubby: "No, we aren't going to WDW."
Me: "Oh, that's too bad because I have a fast pass for Big Thunder on Friday."
Hubby (starting to stare at me in confusion): "But we aren't going to WDW. Are we?!?!"

From there I confirmed that we were going to WDW on Friday-Monday and he eventually cleared out the confusion cobwebs and got super excited. He started packing that night! The next morning he still couldn't believe I had "tricked" him for months.

So, Thursday rolls around and we both anxiously make our way through the work day. And we do spend the night in Bloomington MN (near the Minneapolis airport) so we can catch our early flight Friday morning. We did go to the Mall of America and had a tasty meal at Buffalo Wild Wings and watched the Minnesota Wild play on tv.

Here are some pictures from Friday morning.
Breakfast at the airport: pumpkin bread and a Caribou Coffee mocha
IMG_0947.JPG

Ready for takeoff
IMG_0948.JPG

Leaving Minneapolis behind
IMG_0949.JPG

Arrival at WDW!
IMG_0951.JPG

Arrival at the Swan hotel. Our first time here. The staff was very friendly and we loved staying here. It was a deluxe hotel at moderate prices. We never felt like we weren't at a "Disney" hotel.
IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

At the Magic Kingdom

IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG

Since we arrived on Friday the 13th, they were still filming some Christmas parade stuff. Interesting to see and it didn't impact the flow at the MK too much.

IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Continuing on with Friday.....
On our way to Big Thunder Mountain, hubby's favorite ride!
IMG_2671.JPG

We spied some Frontierland chipmunks!
IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG

Then a little trip around a small world.

IMG_2690.JPG

One of my favorite movies is Tangled, and oh how I wish this would have been a ride attraction instead of a pit stop.
IMG_2695.JPG

Then a ride on the Jingle Cruise. It was our first time riding the Jingle Cruise and we are HUGE fans of the regular Jungle Cruise so we were a little apprehensive. But if you like sappy jokes, then the Jingle Cruise is for you. It certainly was for us!
IMG_2703.JPG
IMG_2707.JPG

and a quick random shot of the tiki room.
IMG_2710.JPG

back to the Jingle cruise...
IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
IMG_2738.JPG

Looking for a deal?! Trader Samta has a headslicing deal for you...

A look down Main Street before heading to the Osborne lights!
IMG_2748.JPG

At the Studios!
IMG_2760.JPG

Osborne Lights. I will miss you... I have some good family memories here. The last trip I took with my mom to WDW we went to the Osborne Lights. I will never forgot how happy she was to dance around with her granddaughter (my niece) to the songs, especially Feliz Navidad. Unfortunately, that was the first dancing light song we heard this trip. So I was crying my eyes out for the first song, hubby was a little confused at first until I reminded him of that trip. But after I recovered it was all fun and dancing!
IMG_2768.JPG

I wondered, "how long will this be here with Star Wars land on the way?"
IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2809.JPG

IMG_2812.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

PacNWTigger

I'm loving the pictures of the Osborne Lights! I never got a chance to see them, so I will live vicariously through you! I'm glad you had a wonderful trip and that you enjoyed the Swan. We thought it was a great location too...the only pitfall we felt was you had to arrange for airport transportation instead of the Mickey Express.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day Two:
Early morning, as we were eager to get going for the day. We headed over to the Boardwalk Bakery for breakfast. It was nice and quiet on the Boardwalk.
IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_2998.JPG

We finally made it to the Studios, the boat didn't pick up at the Boardwalk until 7:30. And then our boat stopped at all the resorts on the way before the Studios. We should have just walked.
First ride of the day....
IMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3008.JPG

Then as hubby checked out some Star Wars merchandise, I walked around the Streets of America.
IMG_3012.JPG

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

Then to Muppets, because it would be distinctly unpatriotic not to go.
IMG_3037.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
A view down Sunset Blvd.
IMG_3055.JPG

IMG_3056.JPG

I really like the stars on Sunset.
IMG_3059.JPG

I always think these little dancers are cute at Christmas.
IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG

Us feeling a little Christmas spirit at the HS's big tree.
IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

We took the boat over to Epcot, and we were ready to do some eating at Food and Wine festival.
Chicken sausage and creamy polenta from Canada
IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

Kalua slider from Hawaii
IMG_3093.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
IMG_3095.JPG

Chef Mickey!!!
IMG_3097.JPG

It got pretty crowded and sometimes there was nowhere good to set down our food and eat, so we did some garbage can dining.
IMG_3110.JPG

South Korea.....home of the best dish at the festival, the bbq short ribs.
IMG_3113.JPG

The Korean short ribs....yummy!
IMG_3115.JPG

I really wanted one of these but I knew I didn't need one. So a picture will fill the void.
IMG_3130.JPG

My favorite store to shop in at WDW.

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Wonderful pictures! I got a laugh out of the Muppets one, too! The Osborne Lights are amazing; and since they'll be doing away with them, I wonder what WDW has planned for a replacement next year; hopefully, it will be something else on that spectacular level. (Not holding my breath on that one, but just wishing . . .)

The gift shop looked very festive for the holiday season. I also enjoyed the picture of the dancing Christmas tree bulbs!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
The cranberry bog. A little smaller than the ones I've seen here in Wisconsin.
IMG_3126.JPG

The nitro chocolate truffle with whiskey caramel. YUMMY!!!
IMG_3136.JPG

Back out on my balcony at the Swan.
IMG_3141.JPG

Back to Epcot for dinner at the Biergarten, and a glass of delicious Octoberfest beer. I always love the band!
IMG_3147.JPG

The Eiffel tower was lit in red, white, in blue in honor of the lives lost in the Paris attacks. It was cool to see it lit up, but it was lit for a terrible reason so I wish it hadn't been lit up.
IMG_3155.JPG

We headed back to the Studios to see the Osborne Lights one last time. I really will miss these, they are so joyful. But first a peek at some window displays on Hollywood Blvd.
IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3192.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Over to the Magic Kingdom to end day two.
IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3232.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

It wasn't midnight but the clock said this even all the way through the next night. I wonder what was going on with it.

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3255.JPG

Jingle Cruise!

IMG_3261.JPG

I thought this looked cool with the castle and the eagle float. It was just a quick shot as we were exiting the MK.

PacNWTigger

I'm loving all of your pics! Everything looks so festive, and the food is making me drool over here!! Sooo jealous of those short ribs and kalua pork. *sighs as I go back to my caramel brulee lattee for breakfast*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom