Trip Report **COMPLETED** It's My Mom's Birthday (and it's still a hot one)!

Hey guys, since I essentially failed at making a live TR I will be doing a real one :joyfull::joyfull: I give all you live trip reporters credit! I kept forgetting!! To be fair, though, I have my hands tied most of the time taking videos for my YouTube channel :)

Who?
I'm sure you know but it was my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)!
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_403548362371.JPG

When?
August 8 - 13, 2017

Where?
The Contemporary!

Why?
Today is my Mom's actual Birthday but she can't get off easily on Monday's since its her long day so we went earlier to celebrate her Birthday - ish :)

Day 1 - August 8, 2017
My Mom had to work a half day so I impatiently waited to leave for Disney :rolleyes:. When she got home we checked our luggage, went for a walk and relaxed before my Dad got home to drive us to the airport.
The Gang was ready to go..:joyfull: We are weird I know!
DSC_5160.jpg

DSC_5162.jpg

DSC_5163.jpg

We left for the Airport around 3:30, got there around 3:45, and we had our bags checked and went through security by 3:50 :p I love the Buffalo airport!
We were starving since neither of us ate anything but breakfast so we headed to the Anchor Bar (birthplace of chicken wings). (PS For anyone not from Buffalo who wants to visit and try chicken wings let me know...I can name at least 10 spots better than the Anchor Bar :p)
DSC_5166.jpg

DSC_5167.jpg

We split the appetizer sampler like we always do :) Boneless wings, chicken wings and mozzarella sticks. So healthy! ;)
DSC_5172.jpg

After dinner we headed to our gate to wait for our flight. In the morning of this day there was a fatal hit and run right outside the airport which was sad enough but while we were waiting I found out it was one of my friend/co-worker's uncles. So sad :(. They still haven't found the guy driving the car either :(:(
We were watching the news while we waited to see if they had any leads and soon enough it was time to board the plane.
DSC_5173.jpg

DSC_5175.jpg

DSC_5174.jpg

Next up: Getting to Florida!

Last edited:

Minnie1986

Hey guys, since I essentially failed at making a live TR I will be doing a real one :joyfull::joyfull: I give all you live trip reporters credit! I kept forgetting!! To be fair, though, I have my hands tied most of the time taking videos for my YouTube channel :)

Who?
I'm sure you know but it was my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)!
View attachment 222492

When?
August 8 - 13, 2017

Where?
The Contemporary!

Why?
Today is my Mom's actual Birthday but she can't get off easily on Monday's since its her long day so we went earlier to celebrate her Birthday - ish :)

Day 1 - August 8, 2017
My Mom had to work a half day so I impatiently waited to leave for Disney :rolleyes:. When she got home we checked our luggage, went for a walk and relaxed before my Dad got home to drive us to the airport.
The Gang was ready to go..:joyfull: We are weird I know!
View attachment 222498
View attachment 222500
View attachment 222501
We left for the Airport around 3:30, got there around 3:45, and we had our bags checked and went through security by 3:50 :p I love the Buffalo airport!
We were starving since neither of us ate anything but breakfast so we headed to the Anchor Bar (birthplace of chicken wings). (PS For anyone not from Buffalo who wants to visit and try chicken wings let me know...I can name at least 10 spots better than the Anchor Bar :p)
View attachment 222503
View attachment 222504
We split the appetizer sampler like we always do :) Boneless wings, chicken wings and mozzarella sticks. So healthy! ;)
View attachment 222505
After dinner we headed to our gate to wait for our flight. In the morning of this day there was a fatal hit and run right outside the airport which was sad enough but while we were waiting I found out it was one of my friend/co-worker's uncles. So sad :(. They still haven't found the guy driving the car either :(:(
We were watching the news while we waited to see if they had any leads and soon enough it was time to board the plane.
View attachment 222506
View attachment 222507
View attachment 222508

Next up: Getting to Florida!
Love your trip reports!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Day 2 continued
View attachment 222819

My Mom got pulled out of the crowd and Beaker hummed her a Birthday song :) Professor Honeydew asked if she was willing to say her age and she said no :) When the Birthday song was over he said "thanks for spending your 21st Birthday with us" :):):p
View attachment 222820
I changed our last FP from Living with the Land to Figment. For once it was needed! It was a long line!
View attachment 222821
After Figment we headed into World Showcase
View attachment 222822
View attachment 222823
View attachment 222824
Who knows how Sven got to Germany...
View attachment 222825
:hilarious::hilarious:
The heat was getting to us - we thought a sit down lunch would be best so we grabbed a reservation for Via Napoli since it was close :)
View attachment 222826
View attachment 222827
Our view! We never sat by this windows before..it was nice!
View attachment 222829

Next up: more Epcot

Your mom got pulled out of the audience..... or you yelled out "pick her pick her it's her birthday!!!!"?? :hilarious::hilarious:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
After getting back from Epcot we headed down to the pool! Well, first we came back to some post cards from DVC :) Maybe someday DVC...but can't afford that downpayment anytime soon :p:p
IMG_4527.JPG

DSCF2376.JPG

DSCF2377.JPG

The Contemporary pool is pretty lame to be honest. Just seems odd compared to how cool most other pools are...its needs an update!!
Seeing the hotel is pretty neat though :)
DSCF2379.JPG

DSCF2380.JPG

The nice thing was the pool was dead! They were doing lifeguard training so we entertained ourselves by watching the poor girl constantly dive for a towel :) We also played some trivia and found out that Chip and Dale are not brothers...just best friends. Whoops! The CM also asked what their favorite snack was and I mumbled popcorn (based off the VERY old Donald Duck cartoon about them stealing popcorn). My Mom heard me say popcorn and said it out loud (also she did it again when I said acorns). :joyfull::joyfull: Its chocolate chip cookies but the CM did say popcorn was a good guess! He was older so maybe he knew the cartoon :p. I also guessed the height of Splash Mountain wrong but the CM thought I said 50 ft and said I was correct :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
At some point a different CM came out for the dance party and he was an incredible dancer. He did the whole single ladies dance on his own while everyone on the pool deck watched and cheered him on! He also was teaching the Hoedown Throwdown dance and he asked if anyone knew what the song was from. I said Hannah Montana and the lifeguard was like "Hannah Montana - THE MOVIE :p:p" Also a case where he and I were probably the only ones the right age to know that :)
DSCF2381.JPG

Even though it was very hot and we didn't really feel like it we felt like we needed to grab a drink :joyfull:
My Mom chose the Moscato Colada
IMG_4529.JPG

I got the Captain's Man Tai
IMG_4535.JPG

We both drank only about half of the drinks :)
View of the hotel from our seats :)
IMG_4530.JPG

Whats nice is the Contemporary still has quite a bit of beach left :)
IMG_4543.JPG

Next up: MK!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
Since we like to torture ourselves we thought - hey let's walk to the Magic Kingdom in the extreme heat! We made our way down the walkway and happened upon security a little sooner than we expected it. While we got our bags ready the one security woman sang my Mom an entire Birthday song! It was so cute!
DSC_5322.jpg

I was actually able to pick up a FP to meet Mickey !
Before we went in we sat on the porch and took in the sights :rolleyes:
DSC_5325.jpg

DSC_5326.jpg

DSC_5328.jpg

Mickey found out it was my Mom's Birthday and made EVERYONE in the room sing to her :) Mickey also asked my Mom her age and she declined to say so he asked me to secretly tell him :joyfull::joyfull:
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_404081196364.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_404081196367.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_404081196372.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_404081196375.JPG

We had a wonderful interaction with Mickey! When we walked out the flag retreat was going on so we stopped to watch.
DSC_5331.jpg

Next up: More MK

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
We headed down Main Street and decided to get a PP picture. These pictures clearly show how sweaty we were...literally sweat was dripping off us we were so hot :joyfull:. How do people live in Florida?! (@blgauger ;))
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_404081451107.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_404081451124.JPG

I was able to pick up another FP for the Tomorrowland Speedway so we headed in that direction.
When in Rome...you pose with the purple wall!
DSC_5334.jpg

DSC_5335.jpg

We encountered some really annoying people in the FP line for the Speedway. Most of them didn't actually have FPs (super common occurrence this trip) and the people directly in front of us couldn't decide who was going on...but also wouldn't move so we could get on :banghead:
IMG_4544.JPG

DSC_5339.jpg

Hello sweaty me :p
DSC_5341.jpg

The same people who were in front of us taking forever in the FP que were also taking FOREVER on the Speedway. Like just stopping and chatting with each other consistently. I have no idea why the CMs didn't move them along because it was creating a HUGE back up and we got hit by the car behind us multiple times. I know I was getting crabby from the heat but the whole experience was just awful. I think we will take a break for awhile from the Speedway :joyfull:
After this we checked the Peoplemover but it had a long wait so we headed out. Well, not before running into Move It Shake It
DSC_5345.jpg

DSC_5349.jpg

DSC_5350.jpg

Next up: More parade

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
More parade :)
DSC_5351.jpg

DSC_5354.jpg

DSC_5356.jpg

After our slow walk back to the room we got dressed and ready for dinner! Balcony view in the daytime!
DSC_5359.jpg

DSC_5360.jpg

It was sunny hence my Mom's face :)
DSC_5361.jpg

I was starting to get a headache so I switched to my glasses because sometimes that helps.
DSC_5362.jpg

DSC_5363.jpg

Down to our usual Mickey picture!
DSC_5369.jpg

DSC_5370.jpg

Next up: California Grill!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
This circle of chairs weirds me out...its like set up to worship the tree or something :p
DSC_5365.jpg

After checking in we were seated fairly quickly at our dinner destination: California Grill!
DSC_5373.jpg

DSC_5374.jpg

The heat got to us so we got some pops instead of wine :)
DSC_5375.jpg

Bread and delicious butter !
DSC_5376.jpg

DSC_5378.jpg

For appetizers we both ordered the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli
DSC_5380.jpg

We were going to share...but this is so yummy its so hard to share!!!
The sun started to set while we were there :)
DSC_5382.jpg

We talked about just eating appetizers for dinner but I had a hard time not getting the Oak Fired Filet of Beef so I did...:joyfull:
DSC_5383.jpg

This was so yum as usual! As was the risotto :hungry:
My Mom wasn't into any of the entrees (especially after our last visit) so she got the BLT flatbread!
DSC_5384.jpg

She really really liked it! I had a small bite...it was good but not necessarily my favorite.

Next up: California Grill finished

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
Our waiter was nice but the service was fairly slow again. Truthfully I would not have minded but like I said I had a headache and my stomach was acting up again thanks to the heat. At one point I legit thought I was going to have to leave the restaurant but I pulled myself together and waited with my Mom for the Birthday treat we knew she would get :)
DSC_5385.jpg

DSC_5386.jpg

I have zero recollection of this cupcake but according to @Tuvalu it was good so we will go with that :)
@Big Hair graciously invited us to Top of the World to watch the fireworks but I sadly had to decline because of how poorly I was feeling.
Instead, we watched Happily Ever After from our balcony which is not as great as Top of the World but was still pretty great :)
DSC_5389.jpg

DSC_5391.jpg

DSC_5395.jpg

DSC_5396.jpg

DSC_5396.jpg

DSC_5398.jpg

DSC_5405.jpg

DSC_5406.jpg

DSC_5408.jpg

After a lovely view from our balcony it was early to bed for us!

Next up: slow start to the morning

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Just now joining in, but can't wait to read more! It was indeed unbearably hot last week.

Your room view is AMAZING! Life goals.

That view was amazing! We literally just stared at it every night we couldn't believe it :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I felt better that you felt hot too and you are southern :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom