it's a lost world: Where does IASW belong?

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
The Peter Pan Queue thread has somehow turned into a Fantasyland Imagineering thread, including the topic of relocating it's a small world to Epcot. So what do you think? Should the classic remain at MK, or should it bring a new kid friendly ride to World Showcase? Share your thoughts below...

RSoxNo1

It's a fanciful ride consisting of colorful dolls and a playful song. It belongs exactly where it's sitting right now, with an updated facade.
You are a coward and a fool.

The attraction was originally built for the 64-65 World's Fair. World Showcase in Epcot is the best location in any land of all of Walt Disney World for this attraction.

To those that felt the backlash of moving it's a small world out of MK would be substantial (@DougK, @wdwmagic), I disagree . The attraction would still exist, and Fantasyland would continue to be about Fantasy. The message of "it's a small world" is about the unity of all of us, that's something we should aspire towards and celebrate, not regard as a fantastical concept. World Showcase celebrate the cultures it represents, "it's a small world" is a perfect fit.

They've pushed the boundaries of Fantasyland in one direction and I think they should do it again. We as fans hate thematic breaks, but without a drastic change like this we are going to continue to see them. They will continue to shoehorn projects and intellectual properties where they don't belong because they painted themselves into a corner.

Fantasyland.jpg

As you can see, removing it's a small world opens up a ridiculous amount of space. The left hand side along The Haunted Mansion show building can continue the Tangled theme, Enchanted Tales with Belle could easily be converted to a ride that begins with the same great pre-show effect, and an enormous area could open up for a Frozen attraction and Princess meet and greet area.

jt04

The attraction was originally built for the 64-65 World's Fair. World Showcase in Epcot is the best location in any land of all of Walt Disney World for this attraction.

To those that felt the backlash of moving it's a small world out of MK would be substantial (@DougK, @wdwmagic), I disagree . The attraction would still exist, and Fantasyland would continue to be about Fantasy. The message of "it's a small world" is about the unity of all of us, that's something we should aspire towards and celebrate, not regard as a fantastical concept. World Showcase celebrate the cultures it represents, "it's a small world" is a perfect fit.

They've pushed the boundaries of Fantasyland in one direction and I think they should do it again. We as fans hate thematic breaks, but without a drastic change like this we are going to continue to see them. They will continue to shoehorn projects and intellectual properties where they don't belong because they painted themselves into a corner.

View attachment 56349

As you can see, removing it's a small world opens up a ridiculous amount of space. The left hand side along The Haunted Mansion show building can continue the Tangled theme, Enchanted Tales with Belle could easily be converted to a ride that begins with the same great pre-show effect, and an enormous area could open up for a Frozen attraction and Princess meet and greet area.

This is perfectly said. Something about IaSW just does not scream Disney. Especially inside the MK's Fantasyland. It is as miscast as was 20K and the area could be so much better utilized. Tangled, Frozen and PH all would be better franchises for that area.

Possibly even a new train station.

Tom

Beta Return

View attachment 56349

Yeah, well you're a doody head!

I feel like it would fit in either place-
With all of the lack of construction and their slow production rate as of late, I don't think it would be replaced quickly at all. I do agree Fantasyland should give more attention to the more modern princesses, but I believe IASW is in Fantasyland because the main concept was Walt's, and the kingdom was his kingdom. (Techinically, Disneyland) As I believe, COP is also better fit for Future World, (it's still great in Tomorrowland!), it was Walt's idea and I think it is nice to keep those in MK to preserve Walt's ideas.
For a strategic point, I would move IASW to Epcot... but not in the World Showcase. The World Showcase already has Gran Fiesta, and there is no place to put that to one country. While there are 6-8 open pavilion spots open, they could certainly create a new pavilion or a part of future world that promotes equality... or rather how cultures intermingle, or something like that. I just feel like while IASW has a good fit for EPCOT's general theme, there is no actual place for it to make sense, IMO. While it would free up room in Fantasyland to make room for new princesses, I don't know where the placement of IASW would be.

RMichael21

Honestly, you were the one to call him a coward and a fool in the first place, so he was only acting like you had before. Also, he is entitled to his own opinion and if you disagree with that fine, just don't call him a coward and a fool. In fact, he was the opposite of a coward, he was stating his opinion which sometimes can be a little scary, worrying about what others think of you.

mahnamahna101

With how much space is behind IASW and Mermaid, not to mention how Frontierland could finally lose its bottleneck by Big Thunder/Splash. You could expand both sections of the park while ultimately connecting them and clearing up some congestion in MK. As long as IASW remained in EPCOT somewhere, I wouldn't mind.

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Honestly, you were the one to call him a coward and a fool in the first place, so he was only acting like you had before. Also, he is entitled to his own opinion and if you disagree with that fine, just don't call him a coward and a fool. In fact, he was the opposite of a coward, he was stating his opinion which sometimes can be a little scary, worrying about what others think of you.
Hey, it was a joke.

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
I would make World Showplace into the United Nations Pavilion. The entrance area inside would be a Hall of Nations, with flags hanging from all UN members. To the right would be the queue for IASW. During Festivals, forward would be the NEW Festival Center (WoL gets replaced). The extended queue would take up the right half of the Hall of Nations, leaving the left open for Festival traffic. I might post a map later.

RSoxNo1

I feel like it would fit in either place-
With all of the lack of construction and their slow production rate as of late, I don't think it would be replaced quickly at all. I do agree Fantasyland should give more attention to the more modern princesses, but I believe IASW is in Fantasyland because the main concept was Walt's, and the kingdom was his kingdom. (Techinically, Disneyland) As I believe, COP is also better fit for Future World, (it's still great in Tomorrowland!), it was Walt's idea and I think it is nice to keep those in MK to preserve Walt's ideas.
For a strategic point, I would move IASW to Epcot... but not in the World Showcase. The World Showcase already has Gran Fiesta, and there is no place to put that to one country. While there are 6-8 open pavilion spots open, they could certainly create a new pavilion or a part of future world that promotes equality... or rather how cultures intermingle, or something like that. I just feel like while IASW has a good fit for EPCOT's general theme, there is no actual place for it to make sense, IMO. While it would free up room in Fantasyland to make room for new princesses, I don't know where the placement of IASW would be.
You absolutely don't make the change unless you plan to immediately use the space. You'd probably have to fill in part of the area around the Odyssey and likely demo that building as well.

RSoxNo1

Hey, it was a joke.

Dear world... lighten up. Tom and I are friends.

You absolutely don't make the change unless you plan to immediately use the space. You'd probably have to fill in part of the area around the Odyssey and likely demo that building as well.
I know, I just meant that although they are using the space, say if they were to put a new attraction in, it wouldn't be completed for a while, yknow?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom