Trip Report It's a Great Big Beautiful California- COMPLETED

OK...I would like to first apologize for all of the trip reports I have neglected. Work was chaos, the holidays consumed my world, and well...life happened...a lot. But...I will do my best to do more reading and commenting in the near future.

I also have a trip report of my own to bring you...a trip that I still can't believe has come and gone. The reporting is also going to take a little bit longer since I'm doing something a bit different this time. I'm going to be posting on here as well as another forum (I know...such a traitor), so it's going to be a more time consuming process.

Now, for those of you who don't know me and aren't familiar with my trip reports...I'm Sandy ... aka HouCuseChickie (and also TiggerTrigger in a few other places). Obviously, I'm the one with the hat and glasses!

12011258_10208038539949428_6230877082431190561_n.jpg

Sorry, huge pictures. I borrowed them from my Facebook galleries.

And another huge picture, but these are our girls (younger one pictured with me above)...
12362710_10208604967989775_3372180458733842590_o.jpg

That's Kendall (age 9) on the left and Sammie (age 7 and very toothless) on the right. It's hard to believe these two were just 4 and 2 on my first trip report.

Finally, we've got DH...who will be referred to as such throughout, unless I slip up. LOL. He probably wouldn't be too happy that I'm using this pic, but this was him at the end of "Movember" after growing out his moustache. We're all happy that he shaved it off on December 1st.

12316299_10208474006875829_5544502002976563208_n.jpg

So, that's us...but it's been a while since I did anything with my PTR, so some refreshers and updates on the details of the trip...especially the final details. And for those of you who have seen my previous reports, I promise you tons and tons of pics- and even a few videos, but let's recap a bit with the plan and get up to date on some things.

This all started as a "Let's go to Disneyland for the 60th anniversary festivities" trip, which spiraled into so much more. DH reminded me (aka- total guilt trip) that I'd promised him a ski trip. Well, the only way I could get this to work with Disneyland and not have it get too crazy with the budget (or so I thought) was to ski in California. So, the Big Bear- Mammoth-Tahoe debate was started and Mammoth won. All my CA friends said it was better skiing than Big Bear and it's closer and a smidge cheaper than Tahoe.

Plans and costs started to get crazy as dates and transportation started to factor in. We were planning on Disneyland from December 27th-31st and Mammoth on December 31st-January 3rd. In fact, this is what we had the girls believing were our vacay dates until the very end (more on that in a bit). But...I remembered how my parents saved a ton flying on Christmas last year and the dog's boarding facility would take her no later than December 23rd, so leaving on Christmas day started to sound like the better plan. In fact, the one-way cost of our Christmas day flights was something like $150 cheaper per person than the flight I was eyeing for the 27th. So, a Christmas day departure became a reality...and the trip grew by 2 days. But before all was said and done, the trip grew by 1 more day. January 3rd was a Sunday and flights were much more expensive than January 4th. The kids were still off from school on the 4th, so we extended the trip 1 more day. We also decided the extended trip would be the kids' big Christmas present. More on that coming up.

Somewhere in the process of this, as I was planning details of our drive to Mammoth, I found out that California has really strict tire chain laws during winter. Couple that with the taxes that can double the cost of your rental and I decided to bite the bullet and fly from LA to Mammoth. I waited and waited for prices to drop back to the lows I'd seen earlier in the year and by late September, it finally happened. Or so I thought. Just days before the trip, I realized I booked our air in reverse. Instead of LA to Mammoth, I booked Mammoth to LA. I was under a lot of stress at work at the time of this booking and even though I checked things at least 5 or 6 times, I misread all of it. It would have cost more than twice the price of those flights to change everything, so we just ate the cost, booked a rental, came up with a plan for the tire chains, and nervously prayed we wouldn't need to use our plan. There are a couple of silver linings with this that will come at the end of the report.

Now here's where some of the biggest fun came in during the pre-trip time. In late November/early December, it hit me that I really needed a plan to give the girls all of their trip gifts as well as the big gift. We'd be leaving for the airport before 7am on Christmas morning, so there was no time for anything but the big gift that day. Now, we're a dual religion household and between me celebrating Hanukkah and DH celebrating Christmas...I figured we could work it all out with that. Before looking at the calendar, I decided we'd do gifts for the 8 nights of Hanukkah and the 12 days of Christmas. I just didn't realize that it would all match up perfectly so we'd have 20 straight days of gifts. It may sound like a lot, but it was all trip related stuff...stuff to show the girls that $ goes into the fun stuff and the necessities... and that it can be just as fun (if not more) to have it all be part of amazing experiences. Sammie still believes in Santa, so I also had to make it believable. So, I wrote a rhyming letter from Santa talking about how the Christmas gift is so big that DH and I would need to play elves for 11 of the 12 days of Christmas. It even had Santa's signature and the North Pole seal.

During Hanukkah, the kids got things like snow boots, Disney Vans, ski bibs, winter gear, clothes, etc. The 12 days of Christmas were a bit more fun. We started out with character hats for autographs like they requested when we were at the GF back in August, a whale watching cruise, made with the magic wands, a GoPro style camera to record their adventures, stockings full of pins/new lanyards/lip balms/etc., and one of my fave days- Star Wars tickets. We gifted them Star Wars tickets for the trip on the day the movie opened, but it's how we did it that made it a ton of fun. Back in 2014, we built lightsabers for them in DHS and they've held up really well. So, on Dec 18th, while the girls were eating breakfast, I came out of the bedroom wearing one of those audio Chewbacca mask and challenged DH to a lightsaber battle with Sammie's purple lightsaber. DH had Kendall's red one hidden under the couch and we battled it out in the living room. It would eventually hit the kids that they were seeing the movie, but initially, they were more interested in the mask. In fact, here's Sammie (as Chewbacca) wishing everyone a very merry Christmas.

My MIL almost ruined the surprise on Christmas Eve, but thankfully the kids didn't hear and they went to bed totally clueless. Before they woke up, I modified the countdown calendar they'd been using to show the 25th instead of the 27th as our departure day, had a new letter from Santa revealing the surprise, and put the packed bags around the tree- with bows on their packed carry ons. What's really amazing is that when the focus for gifts was shifted away from toys, the only thing the girls were really wishing for this Christmas was for the trip to get here sooner. So, they actually received their Christmas wish.

24074084022_e33df02cf8_z.jpg

24182108215_bd4f6d3533_z.jpg

24074083752_63b22a2b20_z.jpg

The girls were so tired when we woke up them up and were reading without really comprehending when they first read Santa's note, but they read it a second time- it all clicked- and we had some utterly giddy girls.

Coming up...Christmas Day- Travel Day

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
December 25th continued...

So, we were all dressed, car packed up, and out the door before 7am central time. As we approached Houston Hobby, I saw the EcoPark was full, so I was really grateful for the news making a big deal about this and the crazy parking situation over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Not only did it push me to make a parking reservation at the Parking Spot to avoid any travel day parking nightmares, it made me discover that the airport economy lot was significantly more expensive.

We had a bit of an issue when checking our luggage. DH decided to check the bag with the girls' boosters (instead of gate check) and neglected to put a tag with our info on that bag. It caused me to keep better track of our baggage claim tickets, which would be an omen for other reasons once we were in LA. But for now, I was just happy that our flight was on time...

23553948204_a92b3193a7_z.jpg

Security, which is usually a crazy long line at Hobby, was very light and we wound up at our gate with a ton of time to spare. Of course, better early than late in these cases.

In my boredom, I amused myself in a variety of stupid ways...including taking a pic of my carry on next to my purse, just to illustrate how silly it is that my purge was bigger than my carry on. I mean, the darn thing didn't even fit in the frame!

24074098782_172d9ed6fb_z.jpg

It was time to board, but we were nearly halfway into boarding group B...even though I checked in right at 24 hours on the dot. The Southwest guy at the gate told us to pre-board because of Sammie, so I wasn't going to argue that she was a year older than their 6 and under policy. We decided to split, so DH sat with Kendall and I got to sit with Sams.

24182120075_852528d7b6_z.jpg

After singing Christmas carols with the crew and getting candy canes. we played Candy Crush for a chunk of the time. We started spending more time looking out the window as we flew over the massive wind farm in west Texas. It was also around this time that Sammie complained she was dizzy. I thought maybe she was hungry, possibly a bit tired, and even recovering from the excitement of an unexpected travel day, but no...she was just air sick and the worst happened just as we were prepping to land for our stop in Albuquerque. Fun. Actually, she had the bag and did what she needed to do without fuss. So we were good.

We had other drama in Albuquerque. Kendall lost her Donald Duck Tsum Tsum hair tie from Japan and there were a lot of tears. Not a major issue, but I was ticked because we've had so many issues like this of late. I know...she's 9.

So, I swapped seats with Sammie, put my phone into airplane mode, and started snapping pics.

Albuquerque from the airport gate...

24099538101_c7b64c466e_z.jpg

23555364653_cbe4a5e381_z.jpg

Not sure what these are, but they were cool. Sadly, the phone pics don't capture the full detail, but still neat pics...

24182135155_0918381758_z.jpg

23814334189_d14a657d31_z.jpg

24156056166_aa6ca7060f_z.jpg

24074116692_b9b9445d00_z.jpg

Kendall kept telling everyone that she saw the Grand Canyon, but I think this was Sedona, AZ area.

23553969874_300c4b7c85_z.jpg

24182148385_5c38984b89_z.jpg

23553977934_1e79854fc5_z.jpg

24156067526_58e0aff040_z.jpg

As we continued flying west, I started seeing areas that may or may not have been around Vegas, but as soon as I saw the terrain look like this...

23814355449_a53cff2bed_z.jpg

23555398733_f6b8a47243_z.jpg

...I knew we were getting closer to LA. Back on our 2003 CA trip, we actually drove from Vegas to LA and back. We also used to go to Vegas every year. So, you kind of get a good feel for the looks of things after you've driven and flown a route a number of times.

It also wasn't long until the sprawl of LA was in view. Now, I grew up in NJ (NY metro area), so I've seen my fair share of large city urban sprawl and Houston isn't exactly tiny, but LA's suburbia just goes on and on. Downtown LA came into view shortly after this...

24156080846_519564325c_z.jpg

I felt bad because one of Kendall's big wishes was to see the Hollywood sign. We'll make that wish come true in the coming days, but she was on the wrong side of the plane to see it as we were landing...

24099579131_2dbac4923f_z.jpg

And we're on the ground.

23555405243_2138d83237_z.jpg

We had moved up to the front rows of the plane when in Albuquerque, so it we didn't have to wait long to get off the plane and make our way to baggage. Baggage was interesting.

As we were trying to figure out which carousel would have our bags, DH yelled to me, "Aren't those some of our bags?" Unfortunately, he wasn't looking at a baggage carousel. Three of our six bags were sitting in a roped off area for unclaimed bags from recent flights. The man working in the area had a heavy Caribbean accent, but was very pleasant and said this was all he had and that half of our bags probably flew ahead of us. Thankfully, I had those claim tickets saved in a good spot b/c of DH not labeling the booster seat bag. We waited for a while, but the same man called our flight for the carousel directly in front of us and our other three bags came out.

After finding the correct rental car reservation info (I had a lot of paperwork), we dragged our 6 checked bags, 4 carry ons, and my purse to the shuttle. This became a theme everywhere we went on a travel day...our parade of luggage. I have a no laundry on vacation rule and we were gone for close to 2 weeks, so we had a lot of stuff.

On the bus to the rental place, I heard several people telling stories of them being out of cars. My anxiety kicked up and I started to think that my idea of driving into Hollywood after hotel check in wasn't going to happen. When we arrived, the line was insanely long and slow moving. Now, some of the issue was people without reservations and some was people without insurance that didn't like the rental co's insurance terms, but others were just slow. And poor DH was stuck with the stir crazy girls this whole time.

To add insult to injury, when I got to the front of the line, I was told to go to a video kiosk for service...and it was glitchy. When it did start working, I was helped by a guy who reminded me a bit of Jake from State Farm. Still, he was good and told us to just head out to the lot and pick a car from the category I booked. OK...seems simple enough.

So, we drag all of our bags outside, but there are only 2 cars out there...and while they were full sized cars...they were both circa 1995. I know it's silly, but I actually tried to open one of them just in case this was really what they meant. Yeah- it was locked and after closer inspection, it as full of someone's personal items. So, we went inside and after making 3 separate demands to talk to a manager, we were told that our best chance of getting a car was to stand in the middle of the lot, wait for them to be pulled in, and run to the one that seems good. Really!?!?!? Back in line, we had joked about the Seinfeld bit on car rentals and how they could make the reservation, but didn't know how to keep the reservation. It was now feeling like a really sick joke! But we needed a car, so we dragged our bags out and I got ready to run at the first sight of a full sized car.

After about 5-10 minutes, 3 full sized cars pulled in at the same time and we were one of 5 families waiting that made a run for them. We were very civilized...going in order of arrival, but we were one of two families needing a lot of trunk space...so selection was key. We picked a Camry. DH hated the car and I wasn't a huge fan, but we made it work. I came pretty close to picking up the back end of the car by trying to force in the bags, but we needed to make it work. While I normally drive a larger mid-sized SUV and DH has a truck (i.e. space at home is never an issue) I have tested our bags in other mid sized vehicles before and they've fit (even though it was a tight squeeze). In this case, we wound up having to put a couple of the checked bags in the back with the girls. Oh well, this would be our car until it was time to head up to Mammoth.

Our hotel for our first two nights was actually pretty close to LAX. We wasted so much time with the baggage and stupid car that it was nearly dinner time, so at least we had a quick drive. I had the toughest time with lodging for this portion of the trip. Queen beds are a must for us and the only option I could find that wasn't insane in price or location was a Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach. I had considered the Beverly Hilton as prices weren't too bad and it would be a cool place to stay, but everything they were showing had double beds. If I refuse to stay at WDW value resorts because of the double bed situation, I couldn't push that aside because it's a well known spot in Beverly Hills. Yeah- I know...it still would have been cool, but I wanted to sleep!

By the time we got settled in the room, it was past dinner time...so in other words, we were starving. With it being Christmas night, our options were beyond limited. I mean, I couldn't even go to the grocery store to make food in our room's kitchen. I was hoping to go to In N Out Burger as I'm the only one who has eaten there, but those were closed too. The only thing we could find was an IHOP, so that would be our Christmas dinner. It was packed, but they had all kinds of decorations, they were blasting the Christmas music, and we were just happy to be there safely and have a place to eat. And while they don't spike them, the special hot cocoa they were serving really hit the spot.

24182175335_9d9779d997_z.jpg

We got back to the room, waited for housekeeping to fix a situation with bedding, and got the girls to sleep. While we gained two hours, it would still be an early start the next day (next week really) and the kids were still on Central time, so they were out.

It felt strange to be away on Christmas, but I did bring one little piece of Christmas decor from home to make it feel more festive while we were on vacation...

23554001964_1e18fae44a_z.jpg

Coming up: December 26th: Wind vs. Whales, PCH Trends, In search of the Hollywood Sign, and a mixed evening...oh yea, and the start of A LOT more pictures.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Yay!! Can't wait to hear about this trip!

Thanks! I'm hoping to keep this going for a while as this is the only thing we're going to get to do for some time.

Hope you have/had a great time! Hope to read a lot about it!

Thanks! It was a fun trip. Lots more to come! And I have to figure out where I left off with your fall report so I can catch up.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
December 26th

I remember waking up “early” on day 2 and was in shock that we were already one day in to this trip. You just plan for months on end and I was having one of those quiet moments in the trip where I just couldn’t believe it was now happening.

So, we had to get an early start because we’d be spending the better part of our morning on a whale watching cruise...something I've wanted to do since I was planning our 2012 CA trip that never happened. The cruise started at 9a, we had to check in between 8:30-8:45a, and depending on the route we used, my pre-trip mapping said it would be a 60-90 minute drive from Manhattan Beach to Dana Point. The plan was to leave the hotel around 7am, which in planning, looked like an early morning; however, everyone but DH was up around 5:30am because our bodies were still on Central time. DH is really the only one who sleeps in really late while we’re at home, so he was the only one who was not happy when it came to getting up and getting out.

I did the driving, so there were no pictures along the way. It was also stressful at times because DH kept rerouting me and navigation kept trying to push us to a toll road we didn’t want to take. Thankfully, there was no traffic (gee…early Saturday morning on the day after Christmas- I’m guessing that’s why). Along the way I also had a happy moment. I wasn’t really paying attention to where I was, just where I was being told to go. Still, I looked up and saw a sign for Katella Blvd! For those of you that have been to Disneyland, know this part of California and/or follow the Disneyland podcasts, you know Katella Blvd is one of the key roads near the parks. In a nutshell (assuming I’m reading the map correctly), Katella goes along the southern boundary of DCA. Everyone in the car thought I was nuts when I excitedly blurted out, “Katella!” (probably sounded a bit like Stelllaaaaah!), but to me…I knew we were passing by Disneyland.

Disney wasn’t in our plans until the 27th, so I had to keep driving. We arrived in Dana Point shortly after 8am, and after figuring out parking, we were off to explore.

24082166712_41b52ccc3a_z.jpg

23562017254_5f710ef526_z.jpg

We had to go upstairs at the building pictured above to check in. What’s really funny…there’s a man pictured in the far right side of the deck in that pic. Well, his family was on the whale watching cruise with us, but we’d also see them at Downtown Disney the next day, in Disneyland the day following that, and at DCA the day after that. I can see maybe…maybe…seeing the same people in the parks once, but to run into them 4 days in a row during peak crowds was just crazy.

It was upper 30s/low 40s that morning and very windy, so we were all bundled up. Still I tried make everyone save a layer for when we were offshore as it was going to be colder out there. We checked in and then just took a leisurely stroll around the marina area.

23894581470_de3d033ea5_z.jpg

23563387703_f1d65ba0a8_z.jpg

24107563901_9a2e624a85_z.jpg

23561987414_a97571e7ef_z.jpg

24082125012_0f95fa28e9_z.jpg

23563363933_2eed69f3e5_z.jpg

23822337389_e2840cf0cb_z.jpg

24164045326_5cf5000a99_z.jpg

24107518101_c786b873ba_z.jpg

24082081512_91c1c5c4e6_z.jpg

(we all thought this was a bit crazy since it was kind of chilly, but sometimes you just want to be out on the water)

We also checked out the boat for our cruise. Now, I know there are a lot of whale watching options between Dana Point, Newport Beach, and even up towards Santa Barbara, but we went with Captain Dave’s for a few reasons.

1.The boat is pretty cool. Most of the places seem to offer your basic commercial boat for their cruises, so a 50’ catamaran with glass pontoons gave Captain Dave’s the edge on general experience.

24164017196_d839e985a9_z.jpg

23894495350_33fd51859e_z.jpg

2.I’d seen him on the Ellen show regarding a whale rescue he was involved in. I just got this “Jack Hannah of whales” vibe from him, which does a lot for me. I know these things are businesses, but I do like knowing that the people involved really care about the animals.

3. They were the only ones I could find that would provide life jackets for the kids outside of an emergency situation. They were optional, but I was happy to know they were there just in case I wasn’t comfortable with the conditions or the overall set up.

***Oh, and they advertise really great brownies at the end of your cruise.

The kids and DH were feeling a little hungry (I guess those fruit bars weren’t enough), so we bought a sandwich, drink and some chips from the snack case upstairs. I was shocked that it was all only around $6 or $7. While not dirt cheap, you get fleeced for this kind of stuff.

24190097945_e4b6353f10_z.jpg

24164001956_afc8e85a6d_z.jpg

They gave us buttons and had us write our names on them (ya know, so we can all call each other by name while on board) and led us out to the dock as cruise departure time neared. We boarded and then got a lecture on the rules of the boat.

24082054182_8e2e30dcce_z.jpg

…but as soon as we were given the green light to roam around, I started snapping pics.

23822275529_2aa45b62ae_z.jpg

23561898134_d590be3511_z.jpg

These sea lions would be the first wildlife spotting of the trip.

23822259609_ea71e7b9e7_z.jpg

Up next...the cruise

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
December 26th continued...

So, we left off with seeing sea lions

23894450250_e2fc85b2e8_z.jpg

23822245739_38e1c99538_z.jpg

23557060964_46856f862b_z.jpg

Unfortunately, this would be some of the more exciting sea life of the trip.

When I booked the cruise, the only option open was a morning sailing. Everyone also told me this would also be the best time to go since winds typically pick up as the day progresses. Well, the forecast for this day called for wind, and as soon as we got out in the ocean…wind…lots of it. Some pics in this passage show the white caps better than others, but it was rough. And unfortunately, rough waters means heavily decreased chances of seeing whales. Still, I kept true to form and took pics since...1. I'm out on the ocean on a beautiful day 2. I'm not at work.3. There's lots of beautiful scenery.

24185229965_ed6d85f4df_z.jpg

24159146446_854c61417c_z.jpg

23889612190_b0c9ca4d42_z.jpg

24159136266_77de8ba2b5_z.jpg

24102508141_9d15116859_z.jpg

24102482421_8c819f08ca_z.jpg

We had the kids up on the bow of the boat at first, but pulled them back because the bouncing around was also causing them to get soaked. It wouldn’t be so bad if this were a summer sailing, but cold and wet doesn't go over too well with anyone. I had been sitting on the bench portion in the front on the far side of the netting from the rail and even I was getting drenched.

24185157775_f92ff16844_z.jpg

24102590041_b44d2f5d03_z.jpg

Not sure how well you can tell, but that is one of the doors to the bow and it’s just getting pounded with water. But hey, this kept the kids from wanting to actually go swimming in the Pacific…they got to wear it instead.

24076956482_3bb7dec83c_z.jpg

23556806194_cb77491861_z.jpg

We weren’t seeing much of anything, so the captain was giving us history and info on some of the structures along the coast. Some are just pretty or neat (like the lighthouse and the tower), while others have more social or historical significance. The small yellow house in the one shot was supposedly occupied by OJ Simpson at some point around the time of the murders and the big flag in the one shot is the site of the oldest house in that area (can’t recall if it’s just Orange County, Laguna Beach, or what).

23889405860_7648cdb31f_z.jpg

24076919072_5c67b53a23_z.jpg

24158846346_919bd55daa_z.jpg

24076848082_e35b3ee6f4_z.jpg

24102259411_75bc572df0_z.jpg

23889213020_0687a31863_z.jpg

24184762915_7e6995728b_z.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I also started taking random pics around the boat...

24184730785_968f7ebd4f_z.jpg

23557818833_7ebbdf806c_z.jpg

I think that's Catalina off in the distance...
24184584385_53e1720374_z.jpg

It was so windy, they were even having issues with the life rafts.

24101988621_97c5669b82_z.jpg

The girls were still really cold, so they bundled up with some blankets from the crew and I think some family offered them some hats. Very nice.

23816771859_8554dca4cc_z.jpg

23556391314_3feedd88b8_z.jpg

These silly gulls also had the crazy notion that they'd be getting a meal from us...

23556381734_06f1573fe2_z.jpg

23816749489_7be53c86ba_z.jpg

I was kind of shocked that some of the people on our cruise had been feeding gulls back at the dock. I mean, nothing like attracting a bunch of birds that are likely to poop all over your heads.

So, we still weren't seeing any whales or dolphins, so I took more pics of the coast. At least the cave was pretty cool and I'm pretty sure there are more sea lions sunning themselves on rocks in some of these.

23888936180_c6b2fe7d22_z.jpg

24184537445_eacd618a3d_z.jpg

23556350804_b7074e2d2e_z.jpg

(I'm sure these aren't cheap)

24184509945_92f69e26e0_z.jpg

It was around this point that the captain finally spotted a dolphin...

23557725333_88b1a332ce_z.jpg

24184485115_6f63c584da_z.jpg

And it turns out he had some friends...

24158342056_5a8d3483be_z.jpg

23556236754_33fbe5e070_z.jpg

Unfortunately, they were all business. They were in search of food and had no desire to play with us. Now, I've been in the gulf and the Atlantic and had playful dolphins follow our boat. I guess with their boat, when the dolphins are playing, they really respond to the kids in the glass pontoons and they turn on their various devices so you can hear the dolphins.

I know it's hard to tell, but this is a sea lion we also saw swimming out there...

24158225916_9369c71f0d_z.jpg

The boat photographer would get a much better pic of him.

We had to turn around and while we saw a few more dolphins along the way...

24184291085_f3192832a0_z.jpg

...a random pelican...

23557498213_8c3525fc3c_z.jpg

...and a boat that had more birds than it knew what to do with...

24184237865_ea7c22f07e_z.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
...but sadly, that would be it for us and wildlife on this cruise. Now, we even warned the kids that we might see nothing since this isn't a zoo, but considering they saw over 20 gray whales on this day the previous year and thousands of dolphins, I was hoping for similar results. I talked to several locals on board and they agreed it's hit or miss, but that Captain Dave's was the best in SoCal and worth the extra $.

The conditions did improve drastically on the ride back, so we were all on the lookout for whales (captain's challenge...involved a prize). Still, it was nice to be able to move around without getting bounced around.

24158117676_dc0598fd2d_z.jpg

24184218175_0f604dd80c_z.jpg

(kind of cool to have the Pacific beneath your feet)

23816389569_1f4d5d45b9_z.jpg

23888535030_1ec4f29343_z.jpg

A little too claustrophobic for my tastes, but they let people into the pontoons even though there was nothing in the water to be seen.
23555942994_8545caf09f_z.jpg

Saw the police...
23816311259_a4620595c1_z.jpg

Sammie was now enjoying my favorite spot on the stern...
23816297219_628b2037ba_z.jpg

And DH decided to join her...
23816263289_dd1f3b8d0a_z.jpg

They even kept us out a little late on the off chance the improved conditions might yield a sighting, but no such luck. So, we saw some of the same sea lions on our way back to the dock. The captain had gotten excited because he saw some bird patterns that had led to humpback sightings over the last couple of weeks, but it wouldn't pan out as anything for us.

24157972936_34ecf2392f_z.jpg

Almost back...

23557270823_8fa0cc04fa_z.jpg

And as they were docking the boat, we were entertained by this sea gull stealing old bait from a boat. Nice.

24075995462_e3c8451c89_z.jpg

I will say that the brownies we were promised were as delicious as described.
24184027575_044f5e2837_z.jpg

Oh...and for my bag loving friends...I switched out of my Disneyland Retro Dooney tote into the Mary Blair concept art Small World Le Sportsac since it's a better bag for getting wet.

23888398710_032a35f1b5_z.jpg

All in all, it was a 2.5 hour cruise for $220 for all of us. Not cheap, but I'd do it again. I'd later find out that Captain Dave had 2 other cruises that day and they saw a gray whale, a humpback whale and several thousand dolphins. And to add insult to injury, one of my coworkers was in California at the same time. They saw a whale from the beach and didn't spend a dime!

Coming up...we drive up PCH and head into Hollywood.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I also forgot...I had mentioned the photographer. They took pics of each group on board, but this wasn't like the memory maker/photopass pics at Disney. This guy sat down with us and took a number of pics until he got one he really liked. He also added it to a collage with pics of the animals we saw on our cruise. We didn't see a lot, so he added in a couple of stock photos, but he at least got a nice pic of the sea lion out in the middle of nowhere.

23566268703_83ceafe5fd_z.jpg

Pooh'sBuddy

All in all, it was a 2.5 hour cruise for $220 for all of us. Not cheap, but I'd do it again. I'd later find out that Captain Dave had 2 other cruises that day and they saw a gray whale, a humpback whale and several thousand dolphins. And to add insult to injury, one of my coworkers was in California at the same time. They saw a whale from the beach and didn't spend a dime!

Coming up...we drive up PCH and head into Hollywood.

Bummer that y'all missed out on the aquatic life. Looking forward to hearing more. Love your pics!

Sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot. Definitely no hurries and you can always message me at your convenience if you prefer :)

No worries; you didn't. I just had so much other stuff grabbing my attention that trip reports fell by the wayside. I'll get my thoughts together for you.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Dec 26th continued...

So, we left Dana point and figured we'd go in search of lunch. We had no solid plans for the rest of the day, so we made a turn onto PCH and started heading north. And unfortunately, I was driving, so no pictures until we stopped.

We drove through Laguna and Crystal Cove State Park area, which was really beautiful. There were so many times I wish I had video rolling since you'd come to a peak and get this gorgeous view of the ocean and nearby cliffs. There were a number of cute places in Laguna, but we were all feeling kind of grimy and so much of it looked uncomfortably trendy...at least in our current state.

We ended up stopping for lunch at a Ruby's in the Costa Mesa area. It's too bad we didn't hold out a bit longer since there's another Ruby's in Huntington Beach that's right at the end of their pier.

HuntingtonBeachPier_1280x642_0.jpg

Not sure if the pic above will come through (not my pic), but that structure at the end is the Huntington Beach Ruby's. Hey, we might have even seen a whale had we gone there!

So, we arrive at the Costa Mesa Ruby's and both girls are asleep. DH actually had to carry Sammie inside, but she woke up as soon as she got her hands on the build your own car kit.

24101407081_e4e2d52622_z.jpg

DH's eyes immediately went to the shakes, but decided to save it for dessert. I on the other hand decided to break form and order a peppermint cocoa one as an appetizer.

24157906376_e98853876b_z.jpg

I had a turkey burger which was just meh.

23888369250_ec5fe44d4b_z.jpg

Kendall got the Cobb burger, which looked great, but she suddenly decided she hates bleu cheese. I guess bacon wasn't enough to save it for her.

24157891836_14f189ef39_z.jpg

DH got a patty melt, which while blurry in this pic, was apparently delish.

24183970735_19afedfb41_z.jpg

DH also shared a shake with the kids. Hey, I think I shared some of mine too.

23816159949_7d3ea75df7_z.jpg

So, we finished lunch and continued heading north. We got a little nostalgic in Huntington Beach, since we drove there in 2003 (pretty much a straight shot from Disneyland), but decided to change course when we got to Long Beach. We talked about seeing the Queen Mary, but I was worried we'd run out of time to see the Hollywood Sign for Kendall, so we headed towards Hollywood.

Now, apparently I map and Google better than DH. I told him to take us towards Mulholland Drive, but instead he mapped me towards Griffith Observatory. Now, I'd wanted to see both of those too, but they weren't my highest priorities. Plus, both had events going on that had traffic backed up forever. We sat in a slow moving line through the hills for a LONG time when I insisted we pull off so I could figure out where we should go.

I got us over to Mulholland in no time, and while there was no room to park, I handed my camera to DH and got him to take some pics. As you'll see in the pics for the rest of this day...1. he didn't know you could zoom 2. he didn't know you could switch out lenses to zoom in farther 3. he didn't know how to use the auto focus. Still, he didn't do too bad.

24075920332_f30468fa9d_z.jpg

This was his "I think I took a pic of the tree" moment.

23555762254_5382ac18de_z.jpg

I think this was his best.

23555756334_13a4f098b8_z.jpg

He did get a nice shot of LA...

24101265431_d822db498b_z.jpg

After fighting to get by all of the tour buses, I had the idea of heading down to Hollywood Blvd. I got us stuck in traffic at the Hollywood Bowl...

24075740192_2fb6f011c2_z.jpg

24157556656_0940efa67c_z.jpg

I couldn't remember all of the specifics of getting there, but it wound up being one of the next exits on the highway, plus...seeing the Capitol Records building was the sign we were heading

23556733623_705e23cb2b_z.jpg

I obviously did something right, since there's Hollywood & Vine and I see stars.

24157388336_58f45d6290_z.jpg

24100841951_c843e7614e_z.jpg

I also remembered from back in 2003 that there was a great view of the Hollywood sign from Hollywood Blvd.

23887778400_1182637218_z.jpg

We had the less than brilliant idea of heading into the heart of Hollywood Blvd. We moved at a snail's pace, but DH took some pics for me along the way.

23556585593_a192c17310_z.jpg

Thought this was kind of cute...

23556175953_e369a82266_z.jpg

Huge crowd at the Scientology holiday display...

23815427829_1afbeb9bbf_z.jpg

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Also liked the Santa T-Rex at Ripley's...

24157057996_b445d9502f_z.jpg

This pic of the El Capitan didn't turn out well, but the kids totally geeked out over the fact that the new Star Wars movie premiered here the previous week. I thought about getting our tickets for here, but the area is just such a seedy mess.

23554936704_ef93fd8dcc_z.jpg

They didn't care as much about he Dolby and how the Oscars are usually held here.

23815269409_7ed64c4e4c_z.jpg

I was moving, so he couldnt get a great pic, but I know the kids were wowed seeing the actual Chinese theater. I mean, it's the real Grauman's how can you not be wowed a bit.

23556215543_c65fe0692a_z.jpg

We also passed where Jimmy Kimmel films, but my head was in the way for pics.

Took a few more pics...

24099885701_37aabe5d89_z.jpg

And then it was time to start heading back towards our hotel...but not before taking a blurry pic of sunset on Sunset Blvd.

23554214654_23127218ca_z.jpg

We wound up going through Beverly Hills to get out of the area. I'll spare you my super blurry pics of the Beverly Hilton and the Beverly Hills Hotel.

We drove back to Manhattan Beach for dinner, but were still very underdressed for a nice restaurant on a Saturday night. We drove through the main area of Manhattan Beach, even saw the lit pier, but there was no parking and nothing really looked suitable. We made it back up to Sepulveda and had dinner at a place call the Brickworks Roasthouse & Grill. While they had a kids' menu, I don't think they really cater as much to families ... or maybe it was our attire, because they put us in sort of a concealed area. I would have complained or walked out, but we weren't near the kitchen, were close enough to the bathroom but not right on top of it, and we were tired and hungry. The food was OK, but I guess I didn't like it enough to bother taking pics.

We went back to the room, got the kids in bed and I packed up since we'd be checking out in the morning. That's right, we'd be driving to Anaheim on the 27th for our Disneyland days.

Coming up- Packing Packing Packing, We're Too Excited to Sleep, Checking in at 9:30 AM, and a day at DTD.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Bummer that y'all missed out on the aquatic life. Looking forward to hearing more. Love your pics!

No worries; you didn't. I just had so much other stuff grabbing my attention that trip reports fell by the wayside. I'll get my thoughts together for you.

It was still a beautiful cruise and I love being out on boats. And for the kids' sake, we saw some dolphins that made them happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom