Trip Report It Began Here ~ Magic Kingdom, July 1972 *COMPLETED*

The title says it all....my love for Walt Disney World began with my very first visit a mere 9 months after the Magic Kingdom opened its gates. My grandparents had recently moved to Florida and we made the long drive from New England to spend a week with them. During that week we would get to spend one glorious day at the Most Magical Place On Earth.

I can still remember my excitement and anticipation. Naturally I wanted to see my grandparents, but this Disney World had captured my thoughts. What would it be like? The only castle I had ever seen was one made of sand. How beautiful a real castle must be! I counted the hours until our pre-dawn departure (it was a couple hours drive.) Once on the road I kept my eyes peeled for THE sign: Disney World, Next Exit.

One sign, one exit. No grand archway like there is now. No purple directional signs. No mouse ears. Nothing but a two lane road. A very long, straight and boring road! (Try to visualize World Drive with nothing to look at!) Where was this Magic Kingdom? Why is it taking so long to get there?

Finally....the Toll Plaza. But as you all know, you can't see the Magic Kingdom from the Toll Plaza!

Just a few minutes longer and we parked the car. Then we got to ride the coolest form of transportation ever.....the monorail!! Which deposited us here:

image.jpeg

Okay, I am getting a little ahead of myself. Let me explain the pictures. My dad had a 35mm camera from which he developed slides. Which, 35 years later, we scanned into his computer. So the quality of the photos is marginal at best. And film was expensive in 1972, so he didn't take many pictures (which we all regret now!)

Today I was at my parents' house to discuss their upcoming Disney vacation with my youngest brother's family. I decided to tag along when I saw the ridiculously low Southwest fares (SW got me too, @Doc Disney!) Mom was able to add me to their dining reservations and I was able to snag similar fastpass times (even for Frozen Ever After! :happy:) We ran across these old pictures that I thought would be fun to share with my WDWMagic friends.

So if you wouldn't mind being a little more patient for my July 2016 trip report (I'm looking at you, @TrolleyFollower91 ;)) I now give you this:

image.jpeg

Main Street, July 1972

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
This is just great stuff. I wasnt at Disney as a kid. Didnt make it there until I was working as a summer camp counselor in college in the early 90s. I have no idea where those pictures are. Im assuming they were lost when we were flooded several years back. Seeing your pictures makes me wish I still had them
I wish you had your pictures too! Thankfully you have so many wonderful ones from trips with your wife and kids. They will be a treasure in years to come. :)

NYwdwfan

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for posting @Tuvalu! It's so much fun to look back at what things used to look like.

Not to hijack the thread or anything - but for those thirsting for more old photos - I posted these a few years back but I think there are some new members that may have missed them. There's more on the slide feels I just need a rainy day for my to still to dig them out:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/nywdwfans-long-overdue-trip-report-welcome-to-the-70s.700408/
Enjoyed your pictures too, thanks for the link! :cat:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks for posting @Tuvalu! It's so much fun to look back at what things used to look like.

Not to hijack the thread or anything - but for those thirsting for more old photos - I posted these a few years back but I think there are some new members that may have missed them. There's more on the slide feels I just need a rainy day for my to still to dig them out:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/nywdwfans-long-overdue-trip-report-welcome-to-the-70s.700408/

I like the photos of the characters roaming "freely" thoughout the park!! I remember that from back in the mid-80s. Used to love it when Goofy would come out of nowhere, and sneak up behind a family and tap the father on the shoulder--and when the father would look around, there was Goofy in his face! HA! Funny memories. :happy:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Found a couple of photos from December 1979. My family had moved to South Florida and we drove up for the day. Funny how the Christmas tree and Main Street garland wreaths have looked the same for years.....at least up until the garland had to be scrapped to accommodate the Festival of Fantasy parade.

View attachment 157070

View attachment 157071

These photos are so cool, because the fading of the color over time, almost gives both of them a sepia-tone "look" to them.

Kiwiduck

Have loved the old photos, thank you for posting. I love seeing historical Disney photos and photos in general from around the time when I was born (73) so this combined the best of both worlds. You've made me feel a bit motivated to do a "trip report" from my first trip to Disneyland which I have a diary entry for and a few photos. Wish there were more photos, but they were few and far between in those days, not like the 100s/1000s that can be taken these days.

Have you been or have any interest in going to Disneyland?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Have loved the old photos, thank you for posting. I love seeing historical Disney photos and photos in general from around the time when I was born (73) so this combined the best of both worlds. You've made me feel a bit motivated to do a "trip report" from my first trip to Disneyland which I have a diary entry for and a few photos. Wish there were more photos, but they were few and far between in those days, not like the 100s/1000s that can be taken these days.

Have you been or have any interest in going to Disneyland?
I would enjoy reading about your first trip to Disneyland and seeing the old photos :). I have been to Disneyland 4 times ~ 1996, 1998, 2005 and 2013. My daughter wrote her first trip report about our mother-daughter Cali adventure:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/who-wants-a-churro-a-trip-to-the-west-coast.861468/#post-5367683

Love these old pictures, I was recently looking at the photos my mother took from our trips to WDW in 1975 & 76.
Brings back lots of good memories.
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

BWK05

I love all the "retro" pictures! I didn't make my first trip to WDW till 2007 so seeing these fill in the early years of WDW for me. Thanks to all for sharing!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I have a couple more old photos. These are from summer 1986.

Me and my firstborn on our balcony at the Contemporary Resort. Notice the large grassy area in the upper left which is now the MK bus depot. (Ignore the perm...big hair was the rage in the 80s...I suppose it is better than my hat? :rolleyes:)

image.jpeg

This is a fun pic merely due to Goofy dressed as a Scotsman. He was wearing a kilt!

image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom