Trip Report It Began Here ~ Magic Kingdom, July 1972 *COMPLETED*

The title says it all....my love for Walt Disney World began with my very first visit a mere 9 months after the Magic Kingdom opened its gates. My grandparents had recently moved to Florida and we made the long drive from New England to spend a week with them. During that week we would get to spend one glorious day at the Most Magical Place On Earth.

I can still remember my excitement and anticipation. Naturally I wanted to see my grandparents, but this Disney World had captured my thoughts. What would it be like? The only castle I had ever seen was one made of sand. How beautiful a real castle must be! I counted the hours until our pre-dawn departure (it was a couple hours drive.) Once on the road I kept my eyes peeled for THE sign: Disney World, Next Exit.

One sign, one exit. No grand archway like there is now. No purple directional signs. No mouse ears. Nothing but a two lane road. A very long, straight and boring road! (Try to visualize World Drive with nothing to look at!) Where was this Magic Kingdom? Why is it taking so long to get there?

Finally....the Toll Plaza. But as you all know, you can't see the Magic Kingdom from the Toll Plaza!

Just a few minutes longer and we parked the car. Then we got to ride the coolest form of transportation ever.....the monorail!! Which deposited us here:

image.jpeg

Okay, I am getting a little ahead of myself. Let me explain the pictures. My dad had a 35mm camera from which he developed slides. Which, 35 years later, we scanned into his computer. So the quality of the photos is marginal at best. And film was expensive in 1972, so he didn't take many pictures (which we all regret now!)

Today I was at my parents' house to discuss their upcoming Disney vacation with my youngest brother's family. I decided to tag along when I saw the ridiculously low Southwest fares (SW got me too, @Doc Disney!) Mom was able to add me to their dining reservations and I was able to snag similar fastpass times (even for Frozen Ever After! :happy:) We ran across these old pictures that I thought would be fun to share with my WDWMagic friends.

So if you wouldn't mind being a little more patient for my July 2016 trip report (I'm looking at you, @TrolleyFollower91 ;)) I now give you this:

image.jpeg

Main Street, July 1972

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Yes! I was actually there on July 4th. I'm foggy on a lot of things and this was my first trip to Disney World, my first time in Florida, my first time flying on a plane, so everything is just a whirl of excitement. You've really taken me back here and it's a very nice feeling! I remember that there was a lot of hoopla in the area around The Hall of Presidents. There was quite a wait to get inside and outside there was a band playing patriotic music. There were also performers dressed as the more well known Presidents. I think they were doing historical recitations. There were red, white, and blue decorations everywhere. There was a special parade. It was called something like America's Parade. This was the first parade I'd ever seen other than the ones you might see in a small town where local officials and community groups and the high school band walk down the street, or the Macy's parade on television. It was amazing. I remember feeling like the crowd was huge lining the streets to watch but everyone was so polite and they let the small children move to the front. Everyone was given little flags to wave. We left the park for a while in the evening to go to a special dinner that my father had saved up for. It was on the top of the Contemporary. I think. I remember it being called The Top Of The World but that doesn't make sense since Top Of The World is the name of the lounge over in the BLT. I also remember it rotating which again I'm not sure is true. Obviously you're a way better historian than I am :) I did absolutely eat shrimp scampi that night and it was the best thing I had ever eaten! After dinner we went back to the park for the fire works. Amazing falls short as a description. I was particularly impressed with how the show was timed to the music. I'd never experienced anything of the sort before. Other random things I remember- climbing The Swiss Family Treehouse. I'd never been to the south so I was certainly feeling the heat, but that Treehouse didn't need a ticket so there was no way my family wasn't going up. Waiting 2 1/2 hours to ride Space Mountain. It was terrifying but so exciting. The seats must have been different then because I'm pretty sure my little brother sat on my lap or between my legs. Wow.
I love this story!

I have one picture from a MK parade to share later. I, too, thought the parade was the coolest!

You are remembering correctly ~ the restaurant/dinner theater at the top of the Contemporary was called the Top of the World. The Bay Lake Tower lounge pays homage to this! But it never rotated.

Once I saw the MK fireworks timed to music I was hooked.....I found it difficult to watch other displays that did not have music, LOL!

Oh yeah, the hot climb up the steps of the Treehouse.....a lot of effort for not much payoff! It's an attraction my family skipped on future visits.

Space Mountain originally had bench seating, so your little brother likely sat between your legs. The rockets did not get individual seats until 1990.

BWK05

All too soon, our day at the Magic Kingdom had come to an end. We could not stay through the evening as my grandmother had a health issue and we needed to get back on the road.

View attachment 156334
Notice the exit turnstile and the meticulous janitor keeping the area clean :inlove:.

There was a water-skiing show on the Seven Seas Lagoon featuring Mickey and Goofy. I remember catching part of it before boarding the monorail but my dad did not get any pictures.
View attachment 156335

Though I don't recall what happened next, the incident is very vivid in my mother's mind. As we backed out of our parking space, she heard muffled sobs from the back seat.

Mom: "Honey, what's wrong?"
Me (in what would be one of the most ironic statements ever spoken) : "I bet I'll NEVER get to come back here AGAIN!!"

:rolleyes: :oops: :in pain: :jawdrop: :facepalm: :hilarious: :joyfull:

Stay tuned for our next visit.....in 1973.
I can't like this post enough!!!

Last edited:

JeffR73

Isn't it fun to see "the way it was"?! MK has certainly changed a lot through the years, some good and some not-so-good. I miss the trees (and the twinkling lights at night) but do enjoy the unobstructed castle view. Thanks for reading!
Awesome trip report! I remember the twinkling lights on the trees (very magical) and miss them, however I do like the new view as well. I remember taking my nephews in '92 (my first time at WDW as well) on the submarines for 20000 Leagues and then later on the Skyway (which I truly miss). Excited for the future.

epcotisbest

Enjoying the photos from 1979 or 1972. Our first trip was in 1983, young, dumb and broke and still kinda newlywed. She had been as a child, but I had never been until we went together. We stayed at a small hotel over on 192, packed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in a cooler and came out to the parking lot and ate lunch in the car we were so broke. Enjoyed the MK, but absolutely were floored by EPCOT Center. Been going back ever since. I don't think we have ever enjoyed a trip as much as that first one, but we still enjoy every visit.
Here is a pic from that first trip. I have posted this before and my apologies if it seems I am hijacking your TR. Just wanted to share. Check out all the trees and traffic.
She remains just as cute 33 years later.

image.jpeg

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Enjoying the photos from 1979 or 1972. Our first trip was in 1983, young, dumb and broke and still kinda newlywed. She had been as a child, but I had never been until we went together. We stayed at a small hotel over on 192, packed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in a cooler and came out to the parking lot and ate lunch in the car we were so broke. Enjoyed the MK, but absolutely were floored by EPCOT Center. Been going back ever since. I don't think we have ever enjoyed a trip as much as that first one, but we still enjoy every visit.
Here is a pic from that first trip. I have posted this before and my apologies if it seems I am hijacking your TR. Just wanted to share. Check out all the trees and traffic.
She remains just as cute 33 years later.

View attachment 156516
Gee, I'm shocked that you enjoyed EPCOT Center so much, @epcotisbest :rolleyes: :joyfull:.

Surprised Woody and I didn't run into you in 1983. We, too, were captivated by EC....as would be our oldest son when we began our annual family pilgrimages to the house of mouse. It remains his favorite Disney park.

Thanks for sharing the pic!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Awesome trip report! I remember the twinkling lights on the trees (very magical) and miss them, however I do like the new view as well. I remember taking my nephews in '92 (my first time at WDW as well) on the submarines for 20000 Leagues and then later on the Skyway (which I truly miss). Excited for the future.
You have a great attitude....fond remembrance for the past and embracing the new! :)

What an awesome TR! Beautiful pictures and memories - thanks for sharing with us!!
Thanks for reading!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
I totally missed the tag of me in this! Also super jealous you got Frozen :) I can not find it for my Mom and I! Thank you so much for sharing these pictures they are amazing!!!
Keep stalking for the Frozen FPs! My opinion...if the wait is no more than 30 minutes, wait standby. Otherwise, nab FPs for your November visit. :geek:

Tuvalu

Original Poster
This makes me want to go to my parents' house to see if they still have any pics from a Disney trip when I was little. Love this!
If you find 'em, post 'em!!

The first year I left Magic Kingdom I sobbed my heart out at the entrance and made that very same comment! So I found that comment in your report funny - I bet we've all done that at some point.
I Still cry when I leave though, I just can't stop myself.
Though not when I leave anymore, I still cry at Wishes. :oops:

This is sooo neat! I am always on yesterland, checking out all the old attractions and photos. It's funny to see things I remember from my first trip in 2005 on there.. I miss you Mcdonalds fries! I love the nostalgia of it all! Thank you for sharing! :)
It is fun walking down memory lane, glad to have you tagging along!

THIS IS AWESOME!!! :D Also, I literally LOLed at your "I bet I'll never get to come back here again" statement. :hilarious: I'm going to say that next time I'm leaving the World and hope I have similar luck as you have!
It's worth a try! ;) :joyfull:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Isn't it fun to see "the way it was"?! MK has certainly changed a lot through the years, some good and some not-so-good. I miss the trees (and the twinkling lights at night) but do enjoy the unobstructed castle view. Thanks for reading!

Fond memories. I too was at the MK during those years of development. And like you a day at best for us on our pilgrimage to South Florida where we would spend a month each year but a mere day in the MK. There wasn't nearly as much to do back then though I loved it so much and I was hooked from a little kid too. We always did Disneyland from the time I was an infant, the MK really did pale to Disneyland back then.

My Dad always had a camera. Always taking photos to the point of irritation. My Dad passed this summer. I am anxious to see and look through all the rubbermaid tubs of photo's to find our early years of the MK. By the time Epcot came along it was just me and Mom that would go to Disney so those old photo's will be just of the MK. Loving your photo's, they are an inspiration for me to weed through all those photos at my Moms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom