Shark Reef to close at Typhoon Lagoon

The Empress Lilly

Do not close something without simultaneously announcing the planned replacement. If there is no replacement planned, do not close something. Given the attendance at shark reef we witnessed on our multiple trips to TL, there needs to be a snorkel attraction at TL. If not, the loss of shark reef won't be the only loss TL suffers. Do we really care if they build ANOTHER slide at TL. Wow, how original?
Right! My optimistic, though probably ultimately delusional, self, hopes that Shark will close for an increased capacity shark snorkel experience. Like they are expected to do at Soarin' and TSMM. A great deal of WDW's recent building has been about adressing capacity and operational issues, including extra ferries and MK hub and MS bypass. So who knows!

The Visionary Soul

After learning more (someone reached out to me explaining the closure) this isn't as bad as you've been led to believe. I don't have a completely clear picture of what is happening, so I don't feel comfortable right now saying anymore, but if anyone wants to send me a message to paint me a clearer picture on what's ahead, I won't complain.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I do agree with your sentiments, particularly the Mine Train being far too short (it's a solid good ride but leaves you wanting more and feeling cheated, wouldn't consider waiting in the long as sin standby line). Though I will mention that I am 6'4" tall (and while definitely not an immense 300+ pounder, i'm not exactly thin as a whip either). I didn't really have any trouble at all with riding at all in spite of my height, I wouldn't even say the vehicles were uncomfortably snug to me. The vehicles on the old Snow White dark ride were actually a lot more tight and uncomfortable than Mine Train.

The dragon fire worked fine last I visited early this month. Don't know how consistent it usually is.

I am however very peeved at the poor condition of Living With the Land, its animatronics are in a similar state to Splash Mountain prior to 2013, tons broken. I'm very upset Maelstrom is leaving for Frozen, but I was equally upset to see the poor condition it was in during the last few days of operation. And despite their recent installation, there are already a ton of LED lights out on Crystal Palace (which is absurd considering these are VERY new LED lights which should last years or even decades, not months).

As to 7DMT if your height is in your legs - then you will have a problem this ride mechanism is supposed to go to Asia as well and I THINK it was designed over there so we have the same problem first generation japanese cars had they had insufficient legroom so knees block the bar.

MerlinTheGoat

As to 7DMT if your height is in your legs - then you will have a problem this ride mechanism is supposed to go to Asia as well and I THINK it was designed over there so we have the same problem first generation japanese cars had they had insufficient legroom so knees block the bar.
My height is definitely in my legs, leg room is always the thing that presents the biggest problem for fitting into compact areas. As I stated the old ride vehicles from the original Snow White had this problem for me, knee room was so tight that it was actually uncomfortable (one of the rows wasn't as bad as the others but even that was still tight). Space Mountain is also normally a bit of a tight fit for me, and many of the older style boat rides such as Pirates, Small World, the Land, Mexico, Maelstrom etc I request the front row because the other rows have tight leg room.

I thought Mine Train would be a problem for me considering all the other small legroom rides, but I really had no trouble fitting in comfortably to my surprise. I will say that people much taller than myself will start having issues because there's not much room to spare beyond my size. It's a snug fit, not uncomfortably so, but still wouldn't want to push being much larger than me. But i'm admittedly already on the relatively above average height anyways. And still it's far from the tightest ride at WDW for leg room.

I could see an issue for wider guests with thicker legs regarding the lap bar however. As I said, i'm not exactly skinny by any stretch, but i'm far from morbidly obese remotely to the extent that many Americans are fast becoming. I'm probably 40 pounds or a tad more over my normal weight (my height also makes it not seem as bad as it really is), compared to the increasing amount of people that are a good 100 pounds or more above what their normal weight would be. My mom is more overweight than I am however and also had no trouble fitting (even commenting that she was surprised that the vehicles were as easy to fit in as they were).

Dwarful

Unless it is for Shark Reef expansion then I am very sad to hear this news. It was always a must do for us at the TL. To be honest, so many new water parks have opened up that taking a day away from the theme parks for water parks can be hard to justify.

mm121

He's the park mascot pretty much. He used to do M&G's. Speaking about the Reef though...

Maybe Disney came to the realization that most of DHS will be down next year, Rivers of Light won't be done until early 2016 (with Avatar to follow 2017), Maelstrom won't be done until 2016 and MK has nothing scheduled for next year. Disney Springs will have some things debut next year, but the final product won't be until 2016. So it's pretty much just a transition year. An addition to TL (or replacement) would at least create headlines and it would be something to promote.

Not getting my hopes up though...

its too bad cuts dont make headlines the way additions do.

note2001

I'd hate to blindly believe that Disney would rip out such a successful attraction only to keep up with the Jones'. Something's definitely up if this attraction is not returning in it's current state, my bet is it will be a new, improved experience. (not a slide)

its too bad cuts dont make headlines the way additions do.

This is due mostly to Disney paying out in one way or another for those headlines. It's a great big marketing game and marketing is all about manipulation.

AEfx

As to 7DMT if your height is in your legs

Finally, one I win for having short legs haha. I'm average height (5'11", I can brush 6' if I wear combat boots) but my legs are very short - I'm all torso. When I sit down I look 6'3" LOL.

So 7DMT isn't a problem, but I'll never be able to do Dancing With The Stars because I can't do the quick step to save my life.

You win some, you lose some, LOL.

Donald Razorduck

• I am not a Disney fanatic. I'm a Dad that has two kids of 11 and 12 that came here looking for the nuts and bolts to make our upcoming trip in Feb the most it could be because it will be several years before a return is planned (too much other stuff to do with them). This was something that appealed to my kids so we planned on tacking on the water parks and more option. My research showed a great chance of at least a day or two of upper 70's during the second week of Feb. So I was fine with taking that chance. This news has that whole water parks and more add on completely unneeded as mini golf is not why we are dropping over 5,000 to come and do and Disneyquest is an outdated joke. This will likely allow us to venture off resort to Universal or do Discovery Cove for a day and use that to hit up Seaworld and/or Aquatica (as the water park for the trip)as it is included. All these closures really make us feel we are being cheated because of when we booked but we now see it as opportunity hit the other non Disney parks which we had not planned on this trip. That's money lost for the Mouse.

WDWFantasmicFan

• I am not a Disney fanatic. I'm a Dad that has two kids of 11 and 12 that came here looking for the nuts and bolts to make our upcoming trip in Feb the most it could be because it will be several years before a return is planned (too much other stuff to do with them). This was something that appealed to my kids so we planned on tacking on the water parks and more option. My research showed a great chance of at least a day or two of upper 70's during the second week of Feb. So I was fine with taking that chance. This news has that whole water parks and more add on completely unneeded as mini golf is not why we are dropping over 5,000 to come and do and Disneyquest is an outdated joke. This will likely allow us to venture off resort to Universal or do Discovery Cove for a day and use that to hit up Seaworld and/or Aquatica (as the water park for the trip)as it is included. All these closures really make us feel we are being cheated because of when we booked but we now see it as opportunity hit the other non Disney parks which we had not planned on this trip. That's money lost for the Mouse.
The water parks at Disney close one after the other during the winter season for refurbishment and upgrades. This is something that happens yearly, and is why they usually look clean and tidy and refreshed. It is still unknown (as far as I am aware) if the Shark Reef attraction at Typhoon Lagoon is closing or not - so this currently should only be taken as a rumor.

The Disney mini-golf is great fun, and definitely worth a visit if you decide to get the water parks and more package - we did the Winter Summerland course our past visit and really enjoyed it! But, yes I do agree with your comment about Disneyquest! Seaworld/Aquatica/Discovery Cove are great experiences - so if you do not want to experience TL or mini-golf, then they are definitely a nice alternative. The closures are something that comes with upgrades and expansions. Yes - It is a bit of a bummer that closures happen - but I am sure something great will replace it in the future.

If you definitely don't want to visit the Disney experinces covered by the 'water parks and more' package, take the opportunity to visit the other local Florida attractions - even if these are not the large companies like Uni and SeaWorld - there is plenty to do (we really enjoy the air boat rides). Have a fun and magical vacation! :)

vonpluto

This from RADP:

"The reef is leaking. The repair/removal decision has not been made yet. We are currently evaluating the ground and tank integrity and corporate is looking at future expansion plans (read: 3rd gate). I'm sure the fan sites will carry the news once it has been decided. In the mean time we (WDI) have the lazy river all to ourselves! "

WDWFantasmicFan

This from RADP:

"The reef is leaking. The repair/removal decision has not been made yet. We are currently evaluating the ground and tank integrity and corporate is looking at future expansion plans (read: 3rd gate). I'm sure the fan sites will carry the news once it has been decided. In the mean time we (WDI) have the lazy river all to ourselves! "
Thank you for the update! :)

The Empress Lilly

This from RADP:

I'll swap Shark Reef for another Watergate. The water parks are even more overcrowded than the dry parks.

And, please, Disney, release the news through leaking tapes of bugged hotel rooms to the Washington Post.

Donald Razorduck

The water parks at Disney close one after the other during the winter season for refurbishment and upgrades. This is something that happens yearly, and is why they usually look clean and tidy and refreshed. It is still unknown (as far as I am aware) if the Shark Reef attraction at Typhoon Lagoon is closing or not - so this currently should only be taken as a rumor.

The Disney mini-golf is great fun, and definitely worth a visit if you decide to get the water parks and more package - we did the Winter Summerland course our past visit and really enjoyed it! But, yes I do agree with your comment about Disneyquest! Seaworld/Aquatica/Discovery Cove are great experiences - so if you do not want to experience TL or mini-golf, then they are definitely a nice alternative. The closures are something that comes with upgrades and expansions. Yes - It is a bit of a bummer that closures happen - but I am sure something great will replace it in the future.

If you definitely don't want to visit the Disney experinces covered by the 'water parks and more' package, take the opportunity to visit the other local Florida attractions - even if these are not the large companies like Uni and SeaWorld - there is plenty to do (we really enjoy the air boat rides). Have a fun and magical vacation! :)

I got the water park schedules. BB is closed at that time and I understand the upkeep issue.

RSoxNo1

This from RADP:

What is RADP?

vonpluto

What is RADP?

Rec.Arts.Disney.Parks , a Usenet newsgroup. It probably pre-dates every other Disney site on the net. Been around since the days of the 1200 baud modem. It can be accessed thru Google Groups or a newsreader
(I use news eternal-september.org). It's heyday was 1995 to the early 2000's, but with the advent of sites like wdw.magic it usage is way down.
;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom