Shark Reef to close at Typhoon Lagoon

cheezbat

Didn't read all 5 pages... but I hear it will be a new Lagoona Gator M&G! :p Honestly in all my many visits there we have never had any desire to do that attraction and only once went below to look at the fish. I like how Aquatica actually has the tanks as you go through the caves on the lazy river.

Gosh I wish they'd bring him and IceGator back to the waterparks. Screw Goofy and Stitch! You can find those guys in other parks.

WDWFantasmicFan

Are they @$%# kidding me?

Maelstrom, Backlot, and now the Shark Reef?

While Maelstrom is a bit underwhelming, all three provided so much character to their parks. This is turning out to be one of the worst autumns in WDW history.
Yes - it has been the biggest number of closures in one season for a long time. But, we know what is replacing Maelstrom. And it can't be long until DHS has something huge - there is a ton of land there to do something with - rumors are Pixar for that area... I'm expecting an announcement before xmas.

mm121

This is getting crazy with the cuts, why would they do this.
You'd think attendance is way down or something with the way they are acting when thats totally not the case.

while i'm not against a new attraction, if thats what they are doing, though thats doubtful, i just feel like in some cases theres ways they could work around existing attractions to add new or relocate things to add new. creating a net increase in things to do that in some parks is much needed vs coming out equal

this attraction was always fun, something different that not every other waterpark out there offers.

whats with the dumming down of disney? its things like this attraction that made disney special and unique.

I do wish they'd have characters there more often,

and if they were looking for additional income would be great to see instalation of the new magic band/automatic photo technology at the waterparks, as its really hard to get action shots.

Didn't read all 5 pages... but I hear it will be a new Lagoona Gator M&G! :p Honestly in all my many visits there we have never had any desire to do that attraction and only once went below to look at the fish. I like how Aquatica actually has the tanks as you go through the caves on the lazy river.

Never seen lagoona Gator at TL
Gosh I wish they'd bring him and IceGator back to the waterparks. Screw Goofy and Stitch! You can find those guys in other parks.

Whos Icegator?

Next Big Thing

Whos Icegator?
He's the park mascot pretty much. He used to do M&G's. Speaking about the Reef though...

Maybe Disney came to the realization that most of DHS will be down next year, Rivers of Light won't be done until early 2016 (with Avatar to follow 2017), Maelstrom won't be done until 2016 and MK has nothing scheduled for next year. Disney Springs will have some things debut next year, but the final product won't be until 2016. So it's pretty much just a transition year. An addition to TL (or replacement) would at least create headlines and it would be something to promote.

Not getting my hopes up though...

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Yes - it has been the biggest number of closures in one season for a long time. But, we know what is replacing Maelstrom. And it can't be long until DHS has something huge - there is a ton of land there to do something with - rumors are Pixar for that area... I'm expecting an announcement before xmas.
Sure. But I detest the transformation of WS into an Experimental Princess Community of Tomorrow. And the Studios Backlot for Fun With All Of Your Family's Favorite Pixar Characters Land is a net loss for me too. As for Shark Reef, I have complete confidence that Disney will replace it with an inferior offering. Even in the very best case, a $150 million state-of-the-art jet-powered Moana superwaterslide, why would I want that? I don't need another waterslide in Orlando. Parks work more subtlely, Shark provided variety, added placemaking, lifted the entire TL experience up from waterpark to tropical paradise.

Next Big Thing

Sure. But I detest the transformation of WS into an Experimental Princess Community of Tomorrow. And the Studios Backlot for Fun With All Of Your Family's Favorite Pixar Characters Land is a net loss for me too. As for Shark Reef, I have complete confidence that Disney will replace it with an inferior offering. Even in the very best case, a $150 million state-of-the-art jet-powered Moana superwaterslide, why would I want that? I don't need another waterslide in Orlando. Parks work more subtlely, Shark provided variety, added placemaking, lifted the entire TL experience up from waterpark to tropical paradise.
I don't see how a Pixar expansion is a bad thing. The studios have long been dead at this park and theme has long needed to go. The only thing keeping it alive was a much neutered Backlot Tour.

WDWFantasmicFan

I don't see how a Pixar expansion is a bad thing. The studios have long been dead at this park and theme has long needed to go. The only thing keeping it alive was a much neutered Backlot Tour.
Exactly! An expansion has been something DHS has needed for a long time - it was OK back when I visited for the first time (2006) and has significantly been cut/changed between then and this year. I did enjoy Backlot Tour, but it was a lot better with live spiel and it also seemed to have not changed much since the first time I rode 8 years ago!

I am really excited for whats to come, and i suspect it to be huge with all the closures lately and the land that is now available for expansion. I would also like to see changes to GMR, as its too becoming outdated.

WDWFantasmicFan

MyMagic+ overran its budget spectacularly, and every area has been told to find ways to slash costs. I guess this is Typhoon Lagoon's contribution to the austerity caused by the MagicBands.
Oh yes - definitely one reason for the recent cuts - but it cannot be the only reason... Yes - MM+ overrun its budget, but at lot has changed - and for the better in my opinion. Disney must be making some back on MagicBands, Memory Maker and accessories etc. - a lot of people I saw this summer had MagicBands...

C.FERNIE

Awwww I loved shark reef! so wish we had gone on holiday last month instead of december! such a shame! any news if it has closed?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
As for Shark Reef, I have complete confidence that Disney will replace it with an inferior offering. Even in the very best case, a $150 million state-of-the-art jet-powered Moana superwaterslide, why would I want that? I don't need another waterslide in Orlando. Parks work more subtlely, Shark provided variety, added placemaking, lifted the entire TL experience up from waterpark to tropical paradise.

Bingo.

Bairstow

He's the park mascot pretty much. He used to do M&G's. Speaking about the Reef though...

You also pass by his house and garden on Cross Country Creek.
http://disneyshawn.blogspot.com/2010/08/ice-ice-gator.html

090296BlizzardBeach.jpg

MaryJaneP

Dont be quick to assume the shark reef closure is a bad thing.

Do not close something without simultaneously announcing the planned replacement. If there is no replacement planned, do not close something. Given the attendance at shark reef we witnessed on our multiple trips to TL, there needs to be a snorkel attraction at TL. If not, the loss of shark reef won't be the only loss TL suffers. Do we really care if they build ANOTHER slide at TL. Wow, how original?

figment1988

You also pass by his house and garden on Cross Country Creek.
http://disneyshawn.blogspot.com/2010/08/ice-ice-gator.html
I know about that, though I usually go underwater to avoid his sneezes, lol.

Returning to the topic. If Shark Reef does get canned, it would be a shame since I enjoyed that experience quite often, not to mention that you were permitted to bring your own mask and snorkel (provided that the mask's lenses were made of tempered glass). Too bad that I never did the SAS experience though (but there's always Epcot's Seas Aqua Tour for that).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom