Shark Reef to close at Typhoon Lagoon

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wonder if they confirmed the hat removal so that people would spend today reporting a happy thing and this will go under the radar?
Nothing would surprise me about the machinations at Celebration Place. But it backfired big time because oddly enough some people love the BAH and personally I think it would be awesome if they moved it out front where the tree stands during the holidays

It would make a great photo location as well as a great place for a snack station under the hat. So you could grab a drink and a pretzel for walk to buses/cars

MrPromey

Dont be quick to assume the shark reef closure is a bad thing.
Unless there is enough room to fit Radiator Springs in there, it would be difficult not to assume such. ;)

In all seriousness, it's been a long time since we've seen anything new and truly impressive out of TDO. It's hard to be optimistic about much these days but I think I and most others would love to be proven wrong on that. :)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Unless there is enough room to fit Radiator Springs in there, it would be difficult not to assume such. ;)

In all seriousness, it's been a long time since we've seen anything new and truly impressive out of TDO. It's hard to be optimistic about much these days but I think I and most others would love to be proven wrong on that. :)
Agreed

If WDW would only amaze us instead of simply closing stuff

space42

Thanks Steve. Problem is there has been so many closeurs lately with no announcements of new attractions to replace them. if they know what they are about to build then why not announce it at the same time as the closure? That would go a long way to ease my frustrations. So far all we have are rumors and closures.

BrerJon

Both Festival of Fantasy and the Mine Train opened this year.
What exactly are your expectations?

I don't think a kiddie coaster and a parade add up to more than the things they've cut really.

But if you want to know what we'd like to see, how about looking at the rate they opened new things in the 90s? New parades on a bigger scale than Festival of Fantasy almost every year, at least one new major attraction every year, instead of once a decade...

Or if we're not judging Disney on their own track record, compare it to Universal. In the time that Disney has been opening New Fantasyland they've had Transformers, Despicable Me, Springfield and all of Diagon Alley (with 2 E-tickets), plus new hotels and a redevelopment of CityWalk.

Basically we want Disney to invest in WDW at the levels it used to, instead of just using its capital for stock buybacks.

Next Big Thing

If they cut this, they better replace it with something. They haven't added anything of significance to the water parks in nearly 10 years.

And there is expansion room around Shark reef so it's not impossible. I just don't think it's likely.

However with Uni getting ready to build their water park, maybe WDW is realizing they will actually have to put some money into the parks for new attractions again.

cookiee_munster

i could only imagine that the upkeep for the attraction has something to do do with it.

does the tank/pool have some kind of filtration system? i can't remember if people have to shower first to remove any of the chlorine chemicals off themselves before getting into the reef?

danpam1024

I'm sure TDO does know what UNI has planned there are few secrets in Orlando, The problem is TDO simply does not care. Their working assumption is this will not affect the water park gate at all and as such will improve overall water park margins.

Based on past behavior this is a strictly financial move. I think it's a horrifically bad idea but TDO does not care what the guests think only that they keep coming. Until they don't and then I'm going to make a big bowl of popcorn and watch the business press savage TWDC for their lack of planning.
I've been thinking over and over why they keep lowering their standards and the ONLY thing I can come up with is they don't WANT to be held to such a high standard anymore- too much time, money and effort. I think people like me, who have been going for decades and KNOW what I'm missing, well, they WANT me to leave- my image of WDW is of yesteryear- in it's prime. They want the "new" families to be the return guests- they don't know how great WDW really can be. Less time, money, and effort. Every time I read about a closing, it makes me so sad. I grew up WDW, it is a part of who I am.

danpam1024

i could only imagine that the upkeep for the attraction has something to do do with it.

does the tank/pool have some kind of filtration system? i can't remember if people have to shower first to remove any of the chlorine chemicals off themselves before getting into the reef?
a true coral reef cleans itself, yes the upkeep is probably expensive, but that was THE DRAW to TL. The slide/play areas are meh.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Both Festival of Fantasy and the Mine Train opened this year.
What exactly are your expectations?

You mean the Parade where the sound synchronization is off most of the time, and the centerpiece dragon fire effect does not work most of the time, That bit of 'awesomeness' count me underwhelmed if MSEP and Spectro could synchronize sound and motion why can't FoF after several months to work the bugs out.

And the coaster designed as an E ticket cut back to kiddie coaster levels - that leaves you 'is that it?' After the ride not to mention don't bother to try to ride if you are over 6' tall.

yes color me underwhelmed at what TDO has added this year.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've been thinking over and over why they keep lowering their standards and the ONLY thing I can come up with is they don't WANT to be held to such a high standard anymore- too much time, money and effort. I think people like me, who have been going for decades and KNOW what I'm missing, well, they WANT me to leave- my image of WDW is of yesteryear- in it's prime. They want the "new" families to be the return guests- they don't know how great WDW really can be. Less time, money, and effort. Every time I read about a closing, it makes me so sad. I grew up WDW, it is a part of who I am.
Same here it makes me sad and angry at the same time because for so long it was my happy place

NewfieFan

I hope this means something is on the way (hopefully just as unique).

This is one of those things that holds a lot of nostalgia for me. I remember doing this attraction in *cough1993 cough and it was seriously one of the highlights of my trip. I have a picture of me and my brother standing at the end with our snorkels on. It's TL to me.

BrianV

I wonder if they confirmed the hat removal so that people would spend today reporting a happy thing and this will go under the radar?

I agree. They want to get all of the bad news out at once! ;)

Though I am sad, I do not assume that nothing will replace it. Nor do I assume that they will not expand and add the shark swim into the expansion. But that I will have to wait and see. For now, unlike other attractions that they have closed and I don't really care about, this one I really enjoyed.

BrerJon

I've been thinking over and over why they keep lowering their standards and the ONLY thing I can come up with is they don't WANT to be held to such a high standard anymore- too much time, money and effort.

Yeah I think you're right. Guests have *much* lower expectations nowadays but much deeper pockets, so it makes sense to reduce Disney standards to merely slightly above, or equivalent, other vacation options, instead of light years ahead of them as they used to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom