Shark Reef to close at Typhoon Lagoon

BrerJon

There must be plenty of people with little kids who were looking forward to introducing this to them when they were old enough and will now be denied that. Sea World must be thrilled, as I bet Discovery Cove bookings will go up - or maybe we'll see the concept in the form of a new attraction at Aquatica?

An enterprising developer should really nab a plot of land in the International Drive expansion and build a Shark Reef clone, they could make a killing and take a bite out of Disney's share of the market.

Actually, wouldn't this be the perfect attraction to add to the new Sea Life Aquarium?

Bairstow

Well that's a pity.
My one trip through Shark Reef was less-than enjoyable (due to a hole in my snorkel) but it seemed like a really fun and unique spot in the park.
For those in the know, what reason would they have to do this? Safety? Cost cutting? Expansion?

My gut tells me expansion.

The reef takes up a lot of real estate.

Piebald

There's been a lot of pressure put lately on parks that feature aquatic animal shows (Seaworld)...accusations of cruelty (not active cruelty, just the assumed cruelty of keeping wild animals in captivity and having them interact with people)...that couldn't be the reason, could it?
If that's the case then goodbye living seas and animal kingdom.

/no, that's not the case. They're being cheap

note2001

guests: :cry::mad::banghead:
bean-counters: :greedy::D:brb:

I had to laugh at your combo of emotions. TY!

-----------------
Disney can remove or modify as much of the aspects of their parks as they want. It's theirs to do with as they please (as long as they can keep turning a profit for the stock owners) People will still come.

Folk, if changes bother you that much, stay away and write a letter to Disney letting them know why you've chosen XYZ park or experience over theirs. To touch Scrooge McDisney's heart, you have to go through his wallet. As singular entities, it's our only chance to get even a peep of our voices heard.

wdwfan4ver

I agree this has to be cost cutting.

I don't see this being a Olaf spot because Blizzard Beach would make more sense for using Olaf or anything related to the movie Frozen. It would make more sense go a Nemo spot at Typhoon Lagoon than using anything from Frozen.

I have a hard time seeing Disney doing a water park Expansion based on how Disney currently is. Water Park don't give Disney the money as theme parks do and would use it as an excuse not to add anything into the water parks.

MarkTwain

EXTREMELY disappointing. This was one of the most unique aspects of WDW property, and a really amazing experience for an inland water park.

Unlike the other recent closures at WDW, this attraction is neither of little value nor IMO likely to be replaced in the near future. Of course expansions are nice but in this case, how likely is expansion, really? I was under the impression that the water parks had, collectively, ONE new addition in the past decade. It always seems that expansion of the water parks has never been on Disney's radar for resort improvements.

More than anything, I suspect that Disney simply got tired of the saltwater tank and animal upkeep, perhaps not seeing the value in providing such an expensive feature to park guests for "free." Of course I'd like to be proven wrong, but what I suspect they didn't account for is how many people are less likely to go to Typhoon Lagoon (like myself) now that one of its most unique features has been removed.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
EXTREMELY disappointing. This was one of the most unique aspects of WDW property, and a really amazing experience for an inland water park.

Unlike the other recent closures at WDW, this attraction is neither of little value nor IMO likely to be replaced in the near future. Of course expansions are nice but in this case, how likely is expansion, really? I was under the impression that the water parks had, collectively, had ONE new addition in the past decade. It always seems that expansion of the water parks has never been on Disney's radar for resort improvements.

More than anything, I suspect that Disney simply got tired of the saltwater tank and animal upkeep, perhaps not seeing the value in providing such an expensive feature to park guests for "free." Of course I'd like to be proven wrong, but what I suspect they didn't account for is how many people are less likely to go to Typhoon Lagoon (like myself) now that one of its most unique features has been removed.

But just imagine the BONUS the exec that thought this up will get. And margins will improve because a few million in OPEX has been cut. since the quarter is ending soon this is just going to be one of many cuts

Disney is losing the magic it was not one single touch it was the aggregate of all the little things which are now being cut in favor of stock buy backs. Soon there will be no Disney Difference and the ATM known as P&R will shut down due to being overdrawn.

The Visionary Soul

This is a bad decision. If anyone at Disney knew what Universal has planned for it's new water park, they would freak out. Not only would they keep the shark encounter, you'd see new investment in Disney's water parks. From what I've seen Universal has figured out how to make the water parks a must-see, and make them a true money-maker attraction. Disney has all but written off the water park market, and that's sad.

Oh well, maybe I'll figure out a way to pony up the dough to get to Discovery Cove. I hear that park is awesome.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is a bad decision. If anyone at Disney knew what Universal has planned for it's new water park, they would freak out. Not only would they keep the shark encounter, you'd see new investment in Disney's water parks. From what I've seen Universal has figured out how to make the water parks a must-see, and make them a true money-maker attraction. Disney has all but written off the water park market, and that's sad.

Oh well, maybe I'll figure out a way to pony up the dough to get to Discovery Cove. I hear that park is awesome.

I'm sure TDO does know what UNI has planned there are few secrets in Orlando, The problem is TDO simply does not care. Their working assumption is this will not affect the water park gate at all and as such will improve overall water park margins.

Based on past behavior this is a strictly financial move. I think it's a horrifically bad idea but TDO does not care what the guests think only that they keep coming. Until they don't and then I'm going to make a big bowl of popcorn and watch the business press savage TWDC for their lack of planning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom