Is this Rock Bottom? POLL

Is this WDW's low point?

• You ain't see nothing yet!

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • No, WDW's low point happened already. It happened.....

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • This isn't a low point at all.

Votes: 21 24.4%

• Total voters

Figaro928

Original Poster
With the building of Avatar, the hopeful restructuring of DHS and a possible resurgence in refurbishments and upkeep - do we think it is possible the 2012-2014 will be marked down as a historic low point for WDW?

I'm a glass hald full kinda gal, so here's hoping they are on the up-swing!

Last edited:

rsoxguy

No, this is rock bottom...

50f63b035582d718d5aa885e317fdf7553ce2ba255ba1.jpg

DisneyDaver

I think the low point period started well before 2012. I'm taking a wait and see approach for changes. WDW hasn't done anything yet that indicates to me that this low period is coming to an end anytime soon.

JIMINYCR

I'm an eternal optimist. Sure there are things that look bad and there definitely are negative things you can point to and say Disney's had it, but I think there will come a turning point where creativity and positive progress will return. We will see a renewed vision and revitalization of what Disney once stood for. ;) I still believe in Disney. :joyfull:

rob0519

First of all, I'm a fan. The family and I have been to WDW more than 25 times and intend to go back. Unfortunately, IMHO, for those of us who remember the resort prior to about 2000, I don't think we've seen anything yet. Until I see otherwise, I'm preparing for more DVCs, larger crowds more cash grabs, higher prices, fewer selections, and lower quality across the board for the forseeable future.

Goofnut1980

Having been a Disneyian for over 30 years - I think as a child our perspective of how pristine and perfect things look is much different than as an adult. As an adult we criticize everything. And like most companies, they make mistakes.

I was sitting here thinking about a possible thought process of TDO. What if now they are reacting and trying to improve and build things to bring in more crowds because they were not truly aware of how Harry Potter was going to affect Uni - and in the good way it affected Uni. Uni has done many rides like Transformers, Spider, JP and heck even as far as the Minions. But, those have not had the response like Potterland has. So it makes me wonder, did Disney think it would actually hurt them, then in-fact it has to some degree?!

Look at Frozen, no-one could have ever predicted 2 years ago that a simple Disney movie (like the 20 before) would have the response and overwhelming need for a "fix-of-Frozen". People are going ape over it!

And like many organizations that have to show a profit, they needed to see that they had to up the game and that is why half of the World is under construction, or will be in the next 6 months.

If you invest into your domestic parks and there isn't the need for it, you wont gain extra attendance/sales. Now with Potterland being "old" news - this will only impact Disney and if they add attractions for a year or two out, it will make people come back. Fix the hotels now, so that way they are ready for the rush of attendance with all of the new Starwars and Avatar franchises being expanded. There has to be a method to the madness and not just a lack of caring.

Bairstow

Not at all. Things were way, WAY worse only a couple years ago, especially in terms of maintenance and general cast morale.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

It's impossible to know if it's rock bottom because things can always get worse. That said, I'm kind of cynical about the state of WDW but I think things are looking up a bit, at least in terms of maintenance and upkeep. We'll have to see how much expansion actually happens in the near future.

I do think there's a while to go until it's reached DLR's quality, or its own golden age.

Last edited:

Figaro928

Original Poster
I think the low point period started well before 2012. I'm taking a wait and see approach for changes. WDW hasn't done anything yet that indicates to me that this low period is coming to an end anytime soon.

I think I consider 2012 the begining of the low point solely on the fact that I started visiting these and other forums in 2012. :rolleyes: If it was worse before 2012 then well...yikes, they are absolutely on the up swing

Chef Mickey

These kinds of alarmist threads just make me laugh. Not sure how you could call current state rock bottom. They always have issues, but rock bottom to me means park closures or Disney licenses Harry Potter.

I hate a lot of things, but it's still a really fun place to go with a good mix of new and old. We complain a lot about old, dated attractions, but I think we complain even more bitterly when the attractions are taken away completely. Give me an outdated Horizons versus taking it away completely. Maybe they are just taking that route in some cases.

wdwgreek

I think the quality of the work in the past few years, shows a reinvestment in the property as a whole, Disney Springs is a prime example of Disney is trying to plus a shoping district that would make the same profit whether mickey mouse dolls were shoved in a tin warehouse or a beautifully designed environment. The theming and immerisvneess is the Disney difference, say what you will about NFL, it may not be ride heavy but it is gorgeously designed, despite its short length the seven dwarfs mine train AA's are great, the shortnered country bear's while a travesity they cut the show length, the AA's looks amazing, they have not been this fluid in years. The plethora of park specific merchandise, shows a realization that their product is special and is loved by many. Its still a mixed bag, everything I said was a mixed bag with a silver lining, but the sun is coming up, there is a great big beautiful tomorrow.

Figaro928

Original Poster
These kinds of alarmist threads just make me laugh. Not sure how you could call current state rock bottom. They always have issues, but rock bottom to me means park closures or Disney licenses Harry Potter.

I didn't mean it as an alarmist with doom and gloom as much as an optimistic approach. And, if we've learned anything from our Saturday morning cartoons, you can never shout out loud that things are at its worst - that's when an anvil falls on your head. It was meant more as a do you think (fingers crossed), ten years from now we look back and think "yeesh, wdw has come a long way from then" And I like to think that WDW's rock bottom doesn't need to be that far down - closing maelstrom is low enough for me.

But, if this silly thread made you laugh, well, then I'm ok it that :)

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I think the quality of the work in the past few years, shows a reinvestment in the property as a whole, Disney Springs is a prime example of Disney is trying to plus a shoping district that would make the same profit whether mickey mouse dolls were shoved in a tin warehouse or a beautifully designed environment.

Uhmmmm...What?

Investing in an already underutilized shopping mall with tenant issues is a better use of funds than in the parks? Destroying parking for the existing shopping for a year and a half was also a bad idea. This project has been oversold as a space to drive further profitability. It will be interesting to note how long it takes until this investment is recouped. I still predict lots of empty store fronts beautifully decorated or a rotating tenant base, just like some of the old spaces there.

In regards to retail, more and more of this segment has been moving to internet purchases. With that said, retail operations have to offer more distinctive, original, and exclusive merchandise opportunities not available online and promote them. This flies in the face of the "Disney Parks" generic direction that current leadership has been pursuing. It looked as if they were recognizing their error by developing retail space and merchandise themed for Haunted Mansion. That seemed to provide false hope as the adventureland/jungle cruise gift shop is going to offer you overpriced name brand sunglasses after it's remodel. It will truly be a themed SunGlass Hut. (or RayBan Hut...or Oakley Hut...)

The theming and immerisvneess is the Disney difference, say what you will about NFL, it may not be ride heavy but it is gorgeously designed, despite its short length the seven dwarfs mine train AA's are great, the shortnered country bear's while a travesity they cut the show length, the AA's looks amazing, they have not been this fluid in years.

NFL (New Fantasyland) netted you 1 additional attraction. You are right that the 18 moving set pieces do look good on 7DMT and that attraction is quite short. Country Bears got some maintenance and the show length was cut, but it's a shame that we are happy when basic refurb happens now when it should be expected. Maintenance, Refurbs, and Plusing was rarely something visitors pointed to as "hey they did something" like it is now.

The plethora of park specific merchandise, shows a realization that their product is special and is loved by many. Its still a mixed bag, everything I said was a mixed bag with a silver lining, but the sun is coming up, there is a great big beautiful tomorrow.

Plethora is not the word I'd use for the number of unique options available while shopping. At least not compared to what it had been prior to current leadership. I do agree that there is more unique items than 2 years ago. During my upcoming trip, I may just take photos of the truly unique to WDW merch and share them here when I get back. I can't imagine I'd have to take too many outside of Momento Mori's but I'll see what happens there.

I agree with the idea that the future as far as attraction count will get better starting in 2017 maybe. I am concerned that there is little going on to improve EPCOT. The Frozen inspired re-imagining of Malestrom is just not that impressive and it removes an attraction from a park that continues to offer less. Actually, with the exception of MK, offering less is a theme in WDW that I hope will change.

It's impossible to know if it's rock bottom because things can always get worse. That said, I'm kind of cynical about the state of WDW but I think things are looking up a bit, at least in terms of maintenance and upkeep. We'll have to see how much expansion actually happens in the near future.

Very astute Mr. Morrow. I'm with ya.

I didn't mean it as an alarmist with doom and gloom as much as an optimistic approach. And, if we've learned anything from our Saturday morning cartoons, you can never shout out loud that things are at its worst - that's when an anvil falls on your head. It was meant more as a do you think (fingers crossed), ten years from now we look back and think "yeesh, wdw has come a long way from then" And I like to think that WDW's rock bottom doesn't need to be that far down - closing maelstrom is low enough for me.

But, if this silly thread made you laugh, well, then I'm ok it that :)

Thanks for the Poll....

My Vote is we've hit bottom, but we could still dig a basement.

*1023*

dreynolds1982

Rock bottom? Come now. I've been a huge Disney fan since I was an infant, have worked in the parks, front-line, as well as in Disney Corporate (marketing), have been to the parks well over 100 times in my 32 years of life, and in no way do I consider now any kind of "rock bottom."

I was even just at the parks for 6 days 2 weeks ago, so have it all fresh on my mind. I had a blast. A great trip. Encountered great CMs, very few major issues, etc. I try not to pick apart every little thing and be too critical while at the parks because, well I mean, what's the fun in that?

Are there issues? Sure. There have always been, and always will be issues. Disney is not perfect. I think sometimes maybe our memories tend to be a bit rose-colored. We can block out the bad, and only recall the good, so we look back and think of how perfect things were, then go to the parks and pick everything apart. I mean when you're out there looking for the bad, you're going to see it.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they haven't made mistakes, and I'm not saying things are better, worse or even the same now than they were 5, 10, 15, etc. years ago. What I am saying is that I just don't see how anyone can think of this as a "rock bottom" time in Disney history or something.

You know what I've noticed over the years as the biggest issue with Disney parks? A growing problem that just seems to get worse and worse as the years go on? The people. No, I don't mean the CMs, I mean the guests. And no, I'm not talking about crowds. I just mean people, plain and simple. People are getting ruder, more obnoxious and more inconsiderate by the day, and it really, really detracts from the park going experience. This is no fault of Disney's, and nothing they can do about it, but it is something I see getting worse every time we take a trip.

Anyways, I'll step off my soapbox, but as I said, I don't think this is any kind of rock bottom and see a lot of great things on the horizon, including Avatarland (say what you want about the movie, the renderings look incredible). Excited to see how things develop over the next several years.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen đź’ś
Premium Member
Rock bottom was when Horizons was demolished.

There is always a bright spot though. It's still by far the best experience anywhere in the world. Magic Kingdom is almost perfect. EPCOT is amazing just because of the architecture alone, and is home to some of the best attractions in all of WDW. DHS is about to get a major overhaul. And AK is getting Pandora.

wdwfan4ver

I actually don't know sure if WDW did hit rock bottom already although I though it was a few years ago with Maintenance. What is happening with AK while Avatar is being built is troubling combined with the Current state of Future World, and stuff closing at DHS without anything opening isn't promising for a 1 or 2.

I am saying AK's attendance being troubling because of the attendance numbers of AK when I was there. Animal Kingdom on August 24th had 15,000 guests according a cast member inside Animal Kingdom that talked to a party member and the same cast member was expecting only 12,000 guests at AK in August 25th. The 15,000 guests is a big deal because that is on a Sunday. The fact is AK attendance could even dip even less before Avatarland opens.

I brought up the state of Future World fore a reason. I has been a mess for a longtime for multiple thing starting with Imagination. Wonder of life being a festival building, Universe of Energy outdated , the less said about Nemo the better, and in my opinion that Test Track had a bad redo.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom