Is this magical or creepy?

Chef Mickey

What is creepy about it? Google knows 100x more than Disney, including those "private" internet searches you make and your spending habits. Facebook too.

Disney knows more about you than your name and location anyway. It gives a personal touch.

nickys

Premium Member
The only time this would be creepy is if the HM ghosts acknowledge you as you depart the Mansion.

When we rode it earlier this week, as you go through the hitchhiking ghost bit with the windows where you see a ghost in with you, my name came up. Yet the boys coming in the next car didn't see theirs. So it's definitely still there, randomised.

At Star Tours, DS spotted 2 of our names come up as we went through past the loading droid.

Sonconato

They are not being phased out. The technology is being upgraded behind the scenes to make it more reliable. It just recently returned to some attractions such as the haunted mansion. It may not return to all attractions that once had it. Not because it's being phased out but simply because they are identifying where the effect works and is appreciated and where it is not.

The second touch points are no longer used at many attractions to make the queues move more efficiently. They were never there to accomplish anything more than the function of collecting your Fastpass that the merge cast members did with the paper Fastpass system. They were unnecessary for the most part.
If they're upgrading to make it more reliable, GREAT! I hope this upgrade includes fixing the problem I have getting "into" the Parks since it turns BLUE on me 99% of the time.

As for the second touch points, discontinuing the use of them has only allowed people to jump the line from the standby line to the fastpass line which we have seen often. It makes it slightly more efficient in moving people but that includes those that shouldn't be in that line. It makes zero sense to install them and then not use them.

21stamps

In November, my husband's band would not register going into Hollywood Studios. They called a CS manager to help. She had a handheld, what looked like an iPad, scanned the magic band, asked what parks we had been in earlier in the day, hit a button, and pulled up still photos of my husband scanning his band at the other parks. I was beside her because I had no problem getting in. I had no idea that they had this much information with the photos which she digitally enlarged to see his face. I thought it would have been a digital record of when the band was scanned but no clue they had photos. It was kind of creepy but I get it with all of the insanity in the world. Nevertheless, it was a bit jarring.

Did she say why she was looking for the photo in the first place? That's so odd.

MickeyMomV

Personally I have not experienced the sign to know for sure what it says but if it said "Welcome Smith family from Michigan" I would think that was pretty cool. Now if it said "Hey Sally Smith from Michigan, seen you at breakfast this morning, nice choice going with the fruit and yogurt!" that would be a little creepy!! :eek:

BalooChicago

The screens were exposed, but not operating, at small world the first time we rode it last week. Last night they were concealed by static screens.

Goofyernmost

Personally I have not experienced the sign to know for sure what it says but if it said "Welcome Smith family from Michigan" I would think that was pretty cool. Now if it said "Hey Sally Smith from Michigan, seen you at breakfast this morning, nice choice going with the fruit and yogurt!" that would be a little creepy!! :eek:
Or... we see that you enjoyed the shampoo we left for you in the shower. Speaking of which we also hope that the bruise on your left hip heals soon. It is definitely going to show if you have a high cut bikini. Might we suggest stopping by the gift shop and picking up a "skirted" swim suit until that fades away. They are on sale this week for just 200% higher then regular retail.

MickeyMomV

Or... we see that you enjoyed the shampoo we left for you in the shower. Speaking of which we also hope that the bruise on your left hip heals soon. It is definitely going to show if you have a high cut bikini. Might we suggest stopping by the gift shop and picking up a "skirted" swim suit until that fades away. They are on sale this week for just 200% higher then regular retail.
I don't know... That might hit stalker level!!

peter11435

If they're upgrading to make it more reliable, GREAT! I hope this upgrade includes fixing the problem I have getting "into" the Parks since it turns BLUE on me 99% of the time.

As for the second touch points, discontinuing the use of them has only allowed people to jump the line from the standby line to the fastpass line which we have seen often. It makes it slightly more efficient in moving people but that includes those that shouldn't be in that line. It makes zero sense to install them and then not use them.

The upgrades I am referring to are for the story maker system not those having to do with the main entrance touchpoints. The main entrance system is generally pretty reliable. Does it turn blue for you when you touch your tickets or when you use your finger?

Discontinuing the second touch point has allowed some guests to cheat the system. But the numbers of guests that do that are small enough that it is still more efficient and faster for the fast pass guests than using them at most attractions. They installed them because it made sense at the time using the model established with the paper Fastpasses. But not using them allows you to get on the ride much faster.

Goofyernmost

Now that this information has become public... I think we can count on a lot more people cutting the line. That's what happened with the "come anytime FP" fiasco. I see no reason why that double check requirement being dropped will not create yet another self induced nightmare because of Disney watching for pennies while dollars fly overhead.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Discontinuing the second touch point has allowed some guests to cheat the system. But the numbers of guests that do that are small enough that it is still more efficient and faster for the fast pass guests than using them at most attractions. They installed them because it made sense at the time using the model established with the paper Fastpasses. But not using them allows you to get on the ride much faster.

The reason for installing them or not hasn't changed one bit.. what changed was Disney realized the system was too clunky and caused operational issues so they removed it and accepted the level of abuse. Nothing to do with 'made sense at the time' inferring some sort of obsolescence. It's simply the FP+ readers aren't people efficient enough.

BigRedDad

Only if you wear a Magic Band. They can track everything you do, habits, and a lot of other information. Supercomputers use that information to see where they can add extra fees. If they see 50% of the people do the same thing every day, they can come up with a way to get those same people to pay for what they once did. It also allows a CM to talk to you by name and gives a little information to them.

peter11435

The reason for installing them or not hasn't changed one bit.. what changed was Disney realized the system was too clunky and caused operational issues so they removed it and accepted the level of abuse. Nothing to do with 'made sense at the time' inferring some sort of obsolescence. It's simply the FP+ readers aren't people efficient enough.
It made sense at the time because they were basing the new system on the paper Fastpass system. On paper it made sense that they would install touch points at the merge and entry locations. But once installed it was quickly discovered that the touchpoints (mostly the guests using them) are not fast enough to keep up.

BalooChicago

At least two of the rides I was on this last week had the second touch point operating. I can't remember which, but will ask my wife. I'm pretty sure Frozen did.

Otterhead

When you go on or exit certain attractions your party's name (and in some locations where you are from) appear on a screen. We noticed this at Space Mountain, Its a Small World, Star Tours, Rocking Roller Coaster, Mission Space....

I see nothing at all creepy about it. When people's names pop up on Small World, I hear people laughing, taking pictures of the screen, and pointing out their names.

It's no creepier than the ride automatically taking your picture and uploading it to your account if you have the Memory Maker package.

Only if you wear a Magic Band. They can track everything you do, habits, and a lot of other information. Supercomputers use that information to see where they can add extra fees.
That's... not exactly true, and gets into serious tinfoil-hat territory.

I am Timmy

Well, that is just Disney being thoughtful. See how much they care?

FutureCEO

Years ago (10 or more) I took my boys to Blizzard beach while my wife went to Downtown Disney shopping. She bought something at the Disney store and used her card (back before wrist bands) to pay for it. The woman cashing her out said, "I see the rest of your family is at BB. I hope they are having fun." So Disney knowing where you are is nothing new.

That's kinda freaky

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom