Is this a service you would use?

DreamItReel

Original Poster
Greetings! I'm a huge Disney theme park fan that recently started a website that lets users upload their personal videos and have them edited by a professional video editor.

I feel that this is something that the Disney community would be interested in. Therefore, I would love to get your feedback on the idea and whether you'd be interested in using this kind of service. Also, what improvements would you like to see that would benefit the Disney/travel crowd?

Here's the website: DreamItReel.com

I hope this doesn't come off as spammy, we are genuine Disney fans that want to deliver amazing videos that let you relive and cherish the magic of your Disney vacation. Looking forward to hearing from you!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think a pay service will appeal to the vast majority of people. There are so many quick and easy ways to edit on computers these days, even directly on mobile devices like the iPhone.

For anyone who is serious about video, they will want to do the edit themselves, and for those that aren't serious about video, I think they will choose to just keep clips and not do any edit.

DisneyJoe

I'd potentially use a video editing service for an important event, or if I had a large family vacation that I wanted to edit multiple family shots and video sources together into one to then share with the group, and I would even pay for it, however, I would not use an online service to do this. I'd want to meet with the editor to explain my vision for the project.

I agree it would appeal only to a small niche.

DreamItReel

Original Poster
I don't think a pay service will appeal to the vast majority of people. There are so many quick and easy ways to edit on computers these days, even directly on mobile devices like the iPhone.

For anyone who is serious about video, they will want to do the edit themselves, and for those that aren't serious about video, I think they will choose to just keep clips and not do any edit.

I definitely see your point, especially when it comes to those who are serious about video. But there is something to be said about the ability to let someone with experience and expertise do it for you. We've gotten a great response from the GoPro community which is full of people that take massive amounts of video, but don't have the time or skills to edit it.

I'd potentially use a video editing service for an important event, or if I had a large family vacation that I wanted to edit multiple family shots and video sources together into one to then share with the group, and I would even pay for it, however, I would not use an online service to do this. I'd want to meet with the editor to explain my vision for the project.

I agree it would appeal only to a small niche.

Thanks for you comment. I should mention that our process gives ample room to express what you're looking for in terms of style and which clips to focus on. In addition, our customer service strives to interact with our users as much as possible to ensure that their expectations are met. Even if that means doing revisions, satisfaction and communication is our #1 priority.

PhotoDave219

Greetings! I'm a huge Disney theme park fan that recently started a website that lets users upload their personal videos and have them edited by a professional video editor.

I feel that this is something that the Disney community would be interested in. Therefore, I would love to get your feedback on the idea and whether you'd be interested in using this kind of service. Also, what improvements would you like to see that would benefit the Disney/travel crowd?

I hope this doesn't come off as spammy, we are genuine Disney fans that want to deliver amazing videos that let you relive and cherish the magic of your Disney vacation. Looking forward to hearing from you!

No.

I would not.

PhotoDave219

Any particular reason why not? If it's because you'd rather edit yourself, I totally get that. But I'd like to hear your thoughts if you don't mind.

Because if I shoot video I either want it edited by myself or someone I trust very well.

If i was a prosumer/consumer, I'm not going to hand over video of my kids to someone on the internet.

skishlee

I like the idea of getting someone to professionally edit my videos as I'm no good at it, but depending on the content of my video, I can't say that I would use the service. I don't like the intellectual property terms (granting DreamItReel a perpetual, irrevocable licence to any content I submit). I get that a load of websites have similar terms but even Facebook allows for it to be revocable.

RScottyL

Way too pricey for the normal consumer! You would need to adjust your pricing point!

$119 for 1 - 2 minutes of video is way too high!

I would rather spend that money on the video editing software and do it myself!

Attachments

• 2015-09-29_16-14-57.jpg
    2015-09-29_16-14-57.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 41

thomas998

It wouldn't matter if you were pushing this to Disney fans or any other group of vacationers that take lots of video and photos... Most people wont want this service, in the end most people that take lots of videos rarely spend much time looking at their past videos. Frankly I sometimes wonder if there is any point in taking photos and video myself. I might look at them once when I get back home... maybe print out a photo or two that the kids or wife wants... If I have some free time I might play around tweaking the photos or video but only for the hell of it... Honestly when most people think about it there isn't really a good reason to even photograph or video anything on most vacations, because in 50 years you'll be dead and none of your kids are going to spend any time looking at what you took photos of assuming they even have readers capable of open those files in the future.

You know the more I think about it the more I'm moved to just sell my camera equipment and find a new hobby.

thomas998

Way too pricey for the normal consumer! You would need to adjust your pricing point!

That's the problem with something like this type of service... people see $100 for 1 - 2 minutes and think that it is insanely expensive... because those same people don't realize that whoever was doing the editing had to cull through 1-2 hours of video, probably spend about 2 to 3 times as much time editing as the length of the video and the final product will probably still not meet the expectation of the casual customer because that casual customer will expect something equivalent to what they would see in a slick TV commercial which means to satisfy the customer you would need to go back and make sure the color was right in all those little clips and do all sorts of other post processing of the material you were going to use such that your 2-3 times factor above could easily be 4 - 6... when you then factor in overhead costs this business isn't something that will likely make money because the prices are too low... but it will also not appeal to potential customers because they will think the prices is already too high.

Jahona

Starting hourly rate for a video editor, with 3-5 years experience, for my area is $55 an hour. This would make their service very reasonable for what would be two hours of work. I think I spent three hours editing my short video from my trip in July and then ended up having it take over 4 hours to render out. Unless you have a dedicated machine for rendering you can't work at the same time loosing productivity. The other thing is your argument is wrong in many ways. Sure you can get consumer video editing software for $100 but you will also have to learn the software and understand the process for importing, editing, and exporting video. This could take several days of dedicated training to accomplish. This doesn't even touch color look and feel that is done in post production. What you are paying for is someone who has years of experience and can work quickly and efficiently. There are people out there who don't have the ability or want to edit their video, for them this service would be desired.

Now would I use this service? Most likely no. I have done video production and have the skills to do the editing myself. The only change to this is time management. My vacation ended up landing right in the middle of a major advertising promo that is still ongoing. It took me several weeks to find the time to edit my own footage in even a simple video. If I really wanted to have something to show sooner then this service might be of interest.

thomas998

Starting hourly rate for a video editor, with 3-5 years experience, for my area is $55 an hour. This would make their service very reasonable for what would be two hours of work. I think I spent three hours editing my short video from my trip in July and then ended up having it take over 4 hours to render out. Unless you have a dedicated machine for rendering you can't work at the same time loosing productivity. The other thing is your argument is wrong in many ways. Sure you can get consumer video editing software for $100 but you will also have to learn the software and understand the process for importing, editing, and exporting video. This could take several days of dedicated training to accomplish. This doesn't even touch color look and feel that is done in post production. What you are paying for is someone who has years of experience and can work quickly and efficiently. There are people out there who don't have the ability or want to edit their video, for them this service would be desired.

Now would I use this service? Most likely no. I have done video production and have the skills to do the editing myself. The only change to this is time management. My vacation ended up landing right in the middle of a major advertising promo that is still ongoing. It took me several weeks to find the time to edit my own footage in even a simple video. If I really wanted to have something to show sooner then this service might be of interest.

While your number on the actual cost are reasonable... You miss the real question which whether the average consumer would think the price is right and the average consumer wont take into account the time or salary of the editor, they will simply see 119 dollars for 2 minutes of video and based soley on that they will say - no way. Doesn't matter if the price is reasonable based on the actual costs, the consumer only looks at the cost vs the payoff which in this case is 2 minutes.

Jahona

While your number on the actual cost are reasonable... You miss the real question which whether the average consumer would think the price is right and the average consumer wont take into account the time or salary of the editor, they will simply see 119 dollars for 2 minutes of video and based soley on that they will say - no way. Doesn't matter if the price is reasonable based on the actual costs, the consumer only looks at the cost vs the payoff which in this case is 2 minutes.

True. Another way to look at this is Memory Maker. Unless you prebuy it will cost you $200 to download the photo's that Disney takes. You might get more value out of Memory Maker depending on how much you utilize the PhotoPass photographers. In the end your getting amateur photography. I'm not sure but does PhotoPass do basic retouching and color corrections? Anyways back on topic. With their service your basically paying for a professional quality video in the outcome.

In the end I can't really argue the fact though that if someone things the price is outrageous there is little you can do to change their mind. Some people think the several thousand you spend on an all inclusive WDW vacation is expensive yet people are still able to find the value of it.

thomas998

True. Another way to look at this is Memory Maker. Unless you prebuy it will cost you $200 to download the photo's that Disney takes. You might get more value out of Memory Maker depending on how much you utilize the PhotoPass photographers. In the end your getting amateur photography. I'm not sure but does PhotoPass do basic retouching and color corrections? Anyways back on topic. With their service your basically paying for a professional quality video in the outcome.

In the end I can't really argue the fact though that if someone things the price is outrageous there is little you can do to change their mind. Some people think the several thousand you spend on an all inclusive WDW vacation is expensive yet people are still able to find the value of it.

To answer your question on memory maker, no they don't do any retouching or color corrections. We usually do it simply because we get enough ride photos and other photopass photos that it doesn't seem insanely high... But you are dead right on it being amateur photography, I remember one trip we had less than 50% of the photos that could be considered keepers, crocked horizons, cut off arms, cut off feet, bad exposure and my favorite the actual top of a head being cut off.... You just have to really want the ride photos to make it worth anything.

French Quarter

I cannot imagine very many people paying for this service. I don't think most people care that much about their vacation videos. I mean, what are you going to do with these hundred dollar clips?

(And I think it is a little spammy.)

englanddg

One Little Spark...

^^ This

$119 will get you quite a nice suite, and video editing isn't really all that difficult anymore, unless you want to do very special things with it. PiP is easy in modern software, and lots of consumer grade video editing suites come with royalty free music and templates anymore.

Nah, no way would I drop that for a 2 min video. Once the clips are organized it would be too easy to do it myself, even if I was just using something simple like the youtube editor.

10 - 15 years ago? Yes. Today? No.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom