Is the pull out sofa bed at DVC Villas comfortable?

piglet1

I've slept on the sofabeds in the BWV, BCV, SS, OKW, BLT, AKV, WLV, and The Poly Villas, and they are all different, but none was so bad I couldn't sleep. The BWV, AKV and BLT were the most comfortable, and the set up at the BWV was the easiest.

The ones at SS and The Poly were really hard to open and close, and the way The Poly studios are set up, there is no where convenient to put all the cushions and pillows. If you really want a bed in a studio villa, OKW still has two beds. The sofabed in the living room of OKW was also really tough to open and not all that comfy

However, they seem to to change the sofabed whenever they redo the rooms, so the WLV could have changed by this time, since it's been a while. All in all, I don't mind them, and since that's how studios come, I'm fine with it

glidden

We have used them at BLT and AKL: Kidani and Jambo. It has been hit and miss depending on the room 4 out of 6 were good,. 1 bad and 1 was okay. We found the units in the 1 bedrooms more comfortable and the ones in the 2 bedrooms. It is most likely based off of how much they have been used.

BigHero4

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies and tips. I'll be spending a week in the sofa bed with our youngest. Might have a foam topper shipped to the resort. I'm not a big (or old) dude by any means so I'm hoping it doesn't affect me much. Although my chiropractor will probably enjoy my business when we get back home :)

Bairstow

Thanks all for the replies and tips. I'll be spending a week in the sofa bed with our youngest. Might have a foam topper shipped to the resort. I'm not a big (or old) dude by any means so I'm hoping it doesn't affect me much. Although my chiropractor will probably enjoy my business when we get back home :)
Shouldn't your youngest be the one who gets the couch?

BigHero4

Original Poster
Shouldn't your youngest be the one who gets the couch?
My wife and oldest son will be in the bed, and I will be in the sofa bed with our youngest. I don't trust the two boys together - it would turn into a no holds barred wrestling match the first night. Funny the first time... not for a whole week.

craig schuster

All of the sofa beds at Disney are about the same. The quality of the sofa beds than other hotels around the country but I would not sleep in them but for kids that are teenagers or below will not care since they have a ton of other things to have fun with when you are DW. Get them tired and they will not care that they are sleeping in a Sofa Beds.

jlsHouston

The biggest scene I ever created was over the pull out bed in a 1bedroom at SSR last summer. I rented the 1 bedroom for me, boyfriend, and 3 grands and the 2 grade school age grands got the pull out sofa for their bed...well after I made it up...and NOT finding a foam pad to put between the sheet and mattress, I laid on the bed...and said oh no way, even if they are kids I could put sleeping bags on a floor for them and have as much comfort. I then contacted housekeeping and asked them to bring a foam cushion. Then I got to looking at the mattress and I realized it really wasn't a mattress...and it didn't look like the mattresses I had experience with staying DVC before in studios at BWI and SSR. So then I called a manager and he and I went at it...Basically I ending up with 2 foam mattress toppers and a mattress pad and that made it more comfortable. Ultimately I was just glad it was the kiddos and not a pair of adults I needed the bed for....

TreblChik

I'm thinking about renting points at a DVC Villa next year - a studio at either AKL or WL. How comfortable is the pull out sofa bed? Or even that cool little table/bed at WL?

I've slept on many Disney villa sofa beds. The best ones are the kind that have a strap attached behind the back of the couch. When you pull on that strap the entire sofa comes forward and "unfolds" into a quite comfortable bed. You don't even have to remove the cushions! The worst kind folds out like a typical sofa bed...the kind that you remove the cushions and then pull it out in two folded movements. This would be ok, however, the "mattress" is nothing more than a gymnastics mat. It's hard and uncomfortable for any human being no matter what age or size. I don't complain though because I'm at Disney with my family!

According to my experiences, the Wlderness Lodge Villas and Beach Club Villas have the good sofa beds. However, Saratoga Springs unfortunately has the bad kind. I'm going to be staying on the sofa beds at Bay Lake Tower and Old Key West during the coming months. I'm crossing my fingers for the good kind!

Weather_Lady

We stayed at VWL shortly after the most recent refurb (when the sofa beds were replaced with Comfort Sleepers by American Leather). We recognized it as the same brand/style we'd purchased for our home some years prior, based on the reviews that called it the most comfortable sleeper bed on the market at the time. In our experience, that's true -- I'd rank the Comfort Sleepers as "90% as comfortable" as sleeping on a decent standard mattress.

Last edited:

AndrewsJ

It's going to be a 50/50 split. Like asking if something is "worth it". The sofa beds aren't incredible magic sleeping devices as WDW would have you believe but it's temporary. Go for it.

BigHero4

Original Poster
I should probably update this post with my experience. I'll begin by saying, I'm not picky about my sleeping arrangements and can fall asleep in most places as long as I have a pillow. The studio villa at Boulder Ridge was no exception.

First off, the actual queen bed was soft, cozy and amazing. I didn't spend much time there but I hear it was a real treat for an entire night's sleep.

I did however spend a couple nights on the pull out sofa bed. This was more comfortable than I expected, but the springs under the mattress did make a loud creak every time I would re-position during the night. I'm not sure if it bothered my family much, but it was a little annoying. I still felt rested in the morning.

I also had a chance to sleep on the pull out Murphy bed! I didn't have to, but I was curious. I'm not a big dude... only about 5'10" 170lbs. I actually fit in the bed pretty well, and the mattress was very comfortable. I probably slept better here than on the pull out sofa bed - mainly because of the creaky spring sounds. Not much room to re-position obviously, but enough that I managed a decent nights sleep.

I hope this helps for any other not picky sleepers staying at the Boulder Ridge Villas!

Indy_UK

Sorry to dig up old threads but thought it may be tidier than a new one constantly.

With the pull out Sofa beds (AKV Jambo in our case) I assume sheets, duvet and pillows are all provided and I am not expected to bring anything for our son to sleep on one?

Club Cooloholic

Sorry to dig up old threads but thought it may be tidier than a new one constantly.

With the pull out Sofa beds (AKV Jambo in our case) I assume sheets, duvet and pillows are all provided and I am not expected to bring anything for our son to sleep on one?

Yes they will provide everything and if you need more pillows or blankets just make a request. If I recall the sofa beds are already made so you just have to fold it out.
image.jpg

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Pillows and extra blankets are usually in the closet, and like Club Coolaholic said it's easy to request more, just use the room phone. I'm checking into Jambo on Friday so if it's any different I'll try to remember to come back and share.

StarWarsGirl

The bed should be made (every resort does it differently, but they usually make them) and sheets and blankets are provided. You can call if you need extra.

Contrary to what others have said in this thread, I've always found the sofa beds to be reasonably comfortable. Of course, I'm just as happy that at Poly they got replaced by the pull down beds, but I've never had issues sleeping on them. I once slept on a sofa bed at a Hilton on the other hand and couldn't move the next day...

Spectro

Had terrible sofa bed at ssr 1 bed it was not at all acceptable for adult to sleep on. This was a few years ago though they may have been replaced since. I would now only book a 2 bed villa or 2 resort rooms. It was a long stay also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom