Is the Grand Floridian really that Grand?

psukardi

Just because it brings more people to common areas, restaurants, and especially counter service. The area appears more crowded now too, physically, with the new building.

I'm not putting down DVC, its people, and yes I can afford it.

If GF brings more people to the non-existant counter service great. If it brings more people to V&A great too.

jlsHouston

Original Poster
The Grand Floridian is just as simply not as grand as it was once.

The addition of the Villas really dumbs down the Resort, just as all DVC has done to the main Resorts they accompany. It c an't be a grand hotel with Villas connected to it, sharing the majority of amenities.

I am going to have to say I kind of agree that building the Villas reduced the grandeur of the GF. And I think this is more because the amenities of the property are stretched rather than say a dumbing down....And don't get me wrong, I actually LOVE renting dvc points and staying in the various villas. I am not anti dvc at all.
Since 2011 we always visited the GF for dining and shopping and just to catch a few quiet moments in the lobby. Maybe I had it hyped more in my mind about how relaxing it was going to feel staying at this property versus some of the other deluxes...
Anyways, I am glad we tried the place. It is a lovely resort, but for whatever reasons just does not say "home" to me and I wouldn't pay the dollars for the experience again.

The Incredible Schmulk

I feel that both of the lodges are more grandiose, and as far as pure architectural spectacle is concerned, the Grand Canyon Concourse in the Contemporary is far more interesting. The Grand Floridian is a nice piece of Disneyana, and that's where it's "grandness" lies, I think. It's special in that it's a piece of theme park history that still holds up. It's fun to visit and walk the grounds, but personally I'd rather stay at almost every other deluxe.

I'm in the minority in this thread in that I really don't care of the Polynesian at all. The Boardwalk is way more fun.

surfsupdon

It is still there. And it is a very nice counter service. I think there was sarcasm in the post.

Thanks. I knew there was sarcasm, or a joke, but could not tell if it was aimed at the extra Guests around the Resort, or at the counter service location.

I like Gasparilla too.

dreynolds1982

I've never been a huge fan of GF. The lobby/atrium is beautiful and impressive. Everything about it is nice. But it just seems too stuffy for my taste. If I'm going to fork out the money to stay in a monorail loop deluxe, I'm going with Poly.

wdwjmp239

The Grand Floridian isn't exactly my favorite resort. I stayed there once to see what it was like and I have to say I felt like I was ignored and wasn't given the customer service treatment that I've come to know at Disney. Would I stay there again? I guess. The last time I stayed there was in 2005. I'm sure nine years is enough time for some changes to be made. :)

wdwjmp239

Hey, I paid rack room rates to stay at the POLY one year at Thanksgiving....even before a facelift. While I can't say it's my absolute favorite resort...because I am not sure I have one yet, it definitely holds its own unique spot in my heart.

Holy cow!! You paid rack rate? How much was that bill?!?!? That had to been close to $1,000/night.

jlsHouston

Original Poster
Holy cow!! You paid rack rate? How much was that bill?!?!? That had to been close to $1,000/night.
No... only $ 500...by the time I booked the discounts were over...I got a standard view for $ 505/nite... and we stayed 7 nites...

I actually have no regrets...it was first time over Thanksgiving and we had a really nice time...I dunno if I would still pay $ 500/nite for any room at WDW at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom