Is the Express Pass worth it?

jaygatsby

Original Poster
I'll be going to Universal on Dec. 29 with a park hopper. Prices for the park hopper express pass are $120 that day. We would not use it on Escape from Gringotts because we haven't ridden that one yet and know the queue adds a lot of detail. Is it worth paying ~$500 just to skip lines? How bad are the express pass lines during the busy holiday season? I imagine many people are going to be using it so will it really make that much of a difference?

dm11

I'll be going to Universal on Dec. 29 with a park hopper. Prices for the park hopper express pass are $120 that day. We would not use it on Escape from Gringotts because we haven't ridden that one yet and know the queue adds a lot of detail. Is it worth paying ~$500 just to skip lines? How bad are the express pass lines during the busy holiday season? I imagine many people are going to be using it so will it really make that much of a difference?
According to the TouringPlans site, both parks crowd levels will be 10 out of 10 on that day - not surprising considering it's between Christmas and New Year. My guess is that Express Pass will be immense help. You are probably right that a lot of people will be using it and there will be significant wait even for EP but what that translates to people without an EP is most likely a huge wait times. That being said, $500 (I assume it's a family of 4) is a lot of money so it's something only you will be able to decide whether it fits in your budget or not.

dm11

I would also suggest TouringPlans (https://touringplans.com) touring plan feature :). It really gives you an idea of wait times and how to optimize time in parks. I have used it extensively and find it really helpful.

Out of curiosity, I created a couple of plans for USF for your date with a few rides. One with Express Pass and one without. In both cases the start time is 11am. Wait times would obviously vary depending on the time of the day but considering you have both parks pass you are most likely going to be there the whole day.

USF without Express Pass, start at 11am, ride in this order (to minimize wait times):
Revenge of the Mummy - 38 min
Despicable Me - 1h 9 min
Transformers - 1h 22 min
Escape from Gringotts - 1h 28 min

USF with Express Pass, start at 11am, ride in this order (to minimize wait times):
Revenge of the Mummy - 7 min
Despicable Me - 13 min
Transformers - 14 min
Escape from Gringotts - 14 min

That being said, $500 is still $500 :)

jaygatsby

Original Poster
I would also suggest TouringPlans (https://touringplans.com) touring plan feature :). It really gives you an idea of wait times and how to optimize time in parks. I have used it extensively and find it really helpful.

Out of curiosity, I created a couple of plans for USF for your date with a few rides. One with Express Pass and one without. In both cases the start time is 11am. Wait times would obviously vary depending on the time of the day but considering you have both parks pass you are most likely going to be there the whole day.

USF without Express Pass, start at 11am, ride in this order (to minimize wait times):
Revenge of the Mummy - 38 min
Despicable Me - 1h 9 min
Transformers - 1h 22 min
Escape from Gringotts - 1h 28 min

USF with Express Pass, start at 11am, ride in this order (to minimize wait times):
Revenge of the Mummy - 7 min
Despicable Me - 13 min
Transformers - 14 min
Escape from Gringotts - 14 min

That being said, $500 is still $500 :)
Thanks!! That helps so much!!

trr1

you could just spend the night at RPR and get the express pass that way if its the same price

Magic Feather

If it helps, EP in Gringotts misses nothing except for the junky outdoor overflow portion, so I would use it there, should you decide to purchase the EPs.

Sketch105

December 29? ABSOLUTELY if you want to see everything. The peak period for crowds is Dec. 25th- Jan 1st, and they'll be a brand new Christmas parade at Studios which will be a big draw this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom