Is the "Earful Tower" returning as the DHS icon? See 2013 merchandise for clues

SirLink

Just did a quick internet check. Warner/Paramount bought the theatre in 2000, after which the hat was installed to hide GMR. It was sold in May 2011 to Chinese Theatre LLC, that part is off the corporate website.

I don't know whether they are considering renewing the contract but the other facts check out.

It was more the fact at one stage it was going to be an attraction, an entrance outside of the park to the original One Man's Dream attraction. The only group within TWDC who would pay for the hat was Retail and they wanted it in a prominent location ... seen as 2001 was the start of Modern Disney ... I would dare say this to have more grains of truth in it - paging Mr Smith @marni1971.

Any truth to this Martin?

lazyboy97o

Just did a quick internet check. Warner/Paramount bought the theatre in 2000, after which the hat was installed to hide GMR. It was sold in May 2011 to Chinese Theatre LLC, that part is off the corporate website.

I don't know whether they are considering renewing the contract but the other facts check out.
There is no contract. Do you really think Disney would only sign a 12 year deal for a central icon? You also can't just end a contract you acquired because you don't like it (why Disney can't just end the Marvel deal with Universal).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It was more the fact at one stage it was going to be an attraction, an entrance outside of the park to the original One Man's Dream attraction. The only group within TWDC who would pay for the hat was Retail and they wanted it in a prominent location ... seen as 2001 was the start of Modern Disney ... I would dare say this to have more grains of truth in it - paging Mr Smith @marni1971.

I'm not sure.... but it's one item I've not really researched for obvious reasons!

scoobygirl39541

Just got this in the mail today. Its a personalized trip booklet (never got one before, must be new for 2013), but there's the Earful Tower!

so4e3s.jpg

koryadams

They could move the sorcerer hat to the entrance just outside the gates or something. I really think its a cool thing, but I agree with people hating the location of it. or even move it to Downtown Disney!

HMF

RSoxNo1

Jim Hill put this story out there and it was supported by an image in the Imagineering Field Guide to Hollywood Studios.

Good Morning all the Hat will never disappear from DHS...the simply fact is that they are no longer MGM so the Chinese theater has to be hidden since they no longer have those rights and I wish everyone would just get over it there is nothing wrong with it. I love driving down Buena Vista way every night and seeing the Hat lit up:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom