Is the "Earful Tower" returning as the DHS icon? See 2013 merchandise for clues

steamboat wil

The BAH has been rumored to come down for a few years now. I know it will only come down when it physically has to because of deteriorating conditions or safety issues but when is that? I thought this thing was only supposed to have a 5-10 year lifespan when they made it? Is that anywhere close or did I just make up the last part. When will this thing finally be removed?

aladdin2007

The BAH has been rumored to come down for a few years now. I know it will only come down when it physically has to because of deteriorating conditions or safety issues but when is that? I thought this thing was only supposed to have a 5-10 year lifespan when they made it? Is that anywhere close or did I just make up the last part. When will this thing finally be removed?

Probably at the same time we get a new (I mean real) Imagination.

G00fyDad

You're much cuter!

*blushes* No YOU'RE much cuter ;)

lol

puke_vomit_smiley.gif

The front desk called.... your room is ready. o_O

invader

The Earful Tower will also be much more prominent should certain rumors come true. Would cause for likely reasoning as to why they would change the icon.

mikenatcity1

I was noticing in the background of some of the merchandise that the sorcerer's hat was still there. I also noticed this print on the Disney Park Blog entry about 2013 merchandise. It may be that when the hat is the main part of the logo or picture they use the earful tower.

I only started going to DHS in 2005 so I don't know a studios without it. I am curious what it was like before. I have only known of it as a pin area and meet n greet location (front). I'm inpartial to it staying or going (I was happy to see the EPCOT wand go away though)

Jo DeVil

I like the hat it blocks the view of that bloody awful Chinese theatre!!!! That would really ruining photos with that in the background.

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
I think the hat would look awesome at Downtown Disney!! I like the earful tower, but ToT has always felt like the symbol for that park to me:)

MansionFan999

This is what I heard from a cast member on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and this was also posted by a former cast member:

"The original Chinese Theater in California was sold from one company to another, and the new company did not want to continue the contract with Disney, so instead of tearing down their main Attraction, Disney chose to create a new icon for the park. The Hat is placed directly in front of the Chinese Theater, so it is now very difficult to get a picture of the Theater. This was also the point in time that they were required to stop doing the celebrity hand-print ceremonies in the courtyard. The Hat is at the end of Hollywood Boulevard, so it's like if something was placed in front of Cinderella Castle, and you could see it from the end of Main Street. The Hat currently houses a pin store, which is kind of a sad use of the space. Good news for Disney fans though, because the original company bought back the Chinese Theater, and is considering renewing the original contract, making the Theater the icon once again and returning the hand-print ceremony rights to the Great Movie Ride. If it goes through, I have no doubt Imagineering will happily rip down the Hat. If you look closely at the park maps for DHS, the hat covers the theater."

HMF

This is what I heard from a cast member on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and this was also posted by a former cast member:

"The original Chinese Theater in California was sold from one company to another, and the new company did not want to continue the contract with Disney, so instead of tearing down their main Attraction, Disney chose to create a new icon for the park. The Hat is placed directly in front of the Chinese Theater, so it is now very difficult to get a picture of the Theater. This was also the point in time that they were required to stop doing the celebrity hand-print ceremonies in the courtyard. The Hat is at the end of Hollywood Boulevard, so it's like if something was placed in front of Cinderella Castle, and you could see it from the end of Main Street. The Hat currently houses a pin store, which is kind of a sad use of the space. Good news for Disney fans though, because the original company bought back the Chinese Theater, and is considering renewing the original contract, making the Theater the icon once again and returning the hand-print ceremony rights to the Great Movie Ride. If it goes through, I have no doubt Imagineering will happily rip down the Hat. If you look closely at the park maps for DHS, the hat covers the theater."
Internet BS 101!

Internet BS 101!

Just did a quick internet check. Warner/Paramount bought the theatre in 2000, after which the hat was installed to hide GMR. It was sold in May 2011 to Chinese Theatre LLC, that part is off the corporate website.

I don't know whether they are considering renewing the contract but the other facts check out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom