Is the "Earful Tower" returning as the DHS icon? See 2013 merchandise for clues

Patricia Melton

Original Poster
If management stood under the hat and looked up like I did this year and saw the absolute mess of bird muck in the lighting rig they'd demolish it immediately. It was nauseating. And right above your heads.

I really like this as an angle for getting rid of the hat...the bird mess in there is a health hazard.

Surely some scientist can claim it is a danger for spreading some sort of illness. And guests who have that illness could then sue the park because they caught the illness from the inside of that hat. Then the legal department would get interested in seeing the hat demolished.

midwest_mice

I really think the hat's location kind of takes away from the Hollywood that never was setting. You walk up towards a gigantic hat while all of the other buildings are to normal scale. They could move the hat to All-Star Movies as a prop or set it up at Downtown Disney and incorporate something with it.

jdmdisney99

As much as the hat is despised on this forum, I think to the average fan or visitor to WDW, the hat HAS become the symbol for DHS, just as much as the Tree of Life is to DAK or the Castle is to MK. Most don't remember the Earful Tower as being DHS symbol anymore and to re-brand it as DHS signiture icon at this point would cause too much confusion to the casual fan..
Exactly but it still needs to go. I was telling my sister what I think they should do to DHS and I told her they should at least move the hat. She got angry because she likes it. So I said to compare these weenies. Cinderella Castle - majestic looking. Spaceship Earth - futuristic architecture and an amazing ride. Chinese Theater - beautiful building and great historical ride. Tree of Life - great representation of the circle of life. Sorcerer's Hat - Plasticy Pin Shop. Blah...

PolynesianPrincess

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I most likely am which is why I'm brining it up - so I can get the correct answer) but I heard they have to put the hat up to block the Chinese Theater. I thought I heard somewhere that the Chinese Theater couldn't be photographed or something like that. I can't really remember what specifically and clearly I didn't pay that much attention to what was said since I don't remember. But I just remember it didn't make much sense...

lazyboy97o

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I most likely am which is why I'm brining it up - so I can get the correct answer) but I heard they have to put the hat up to block the Chinese Theater. I thought I heard somewhere that the Chinese Theater couldn't be photographed or something like that. I can't really remember what specifically and clearly I didn't pay that much attention to what was said since I don't remember. But I just remember it didn't make much sense...
Just an Internet rumor that was based in the Hollywood theatre being previously owned by other studios.

iheartdisney91

I really like this as an angle for getting rid of the hat...the bird mess in there is a health hazard.

Surely some scientist can claim it is a danger for spreading some sort of illness. And guests who have that illness could then sue the park because they caught the illness from the inside of that hat. Then the legal department would get interested in seeing the hat demolished.

wait, are you being serious?
as much as people hate the hat, i really don't think it's a health hazard.
even with the "mess" i doubt it'll fall on someone and spread a plague.

Cmdr_Crimson

32544079.jpg

Patricia Melton

Original Poster
wait, are you being serious?
as much as people hate the hat, i really don't think it's a health hazard.
even with the "mess" i doubt it'll fall on someone and spread a plague.

Well, the only way the hat will ever be torn down is if TDO sees demolishing it as the most cost effective option...so the hat has to be seen as too expensive to keep.

The only thing I can think of to make that happen would be if the hat became a legal liability...as in, if it was structurally unsound or a health hazard...or if it got so old and rusted out that fixing it would be more expensive than tearing it down.

I want that hat gone so badly that I really would pin my hopes on the bird mess inside being deemed toxic some day so that a health protective order could be issued from the state to tear it down....but I know this is not going to happen.

When my mother was still alive, she lived on a street that had once been very cute. Then, a few of the home owners sold their houses to a developer and he put a very ugly gas station on the end of the street in place of the houses that used to be there. For the rest of the time my mother lived there, I would drive by that gas station and just fume...because i knew it was there to stay and would not be torn down and replaced with cute houses like used to be there. But I would always hope that a miracle would happen and somehow someone would decide to tear down the gas station.

This is where I am emotionally with this sorcerer's hat. I really want it gone...and I get excited when I think I've found a sign it will be torn down...but in my head I know that this thing will probably outlive me and I'll never again get to experience DHS with that glorious old view down Hollywood Boulevard to the beautiful Chinese Theater like it was meant to be.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought I had a photo. This is one of the moving light units inside the hat. It's about 3ft long. The mess along the inside of the window is where the bird muck has collected. That's straw from a nest sticking out of the right side. Not only are these units long redundant, they've been left in place above guests heads to literally rot. And they all look like this.

image.jpg

Patricia Melton

Original Poster
I thought I had a photo. This is one of the moving light units inside the hat. It's about 3ft long. The mess along the inside of the window is where the bird muck has collected. That's straw from a nest sticking out of the right side. Not only are these units long redundant, they've been left in place above guests heads to literally rot. And they all look like this.

View attachment 28364

Everything about that sorcerer's hat makes my heart hurt.

SirLink

Once again, the hat will go sooner than later. It just needs enough suits to agree with the desire from Glendale.

Speaking of logos, just looked closer at our 2011 WDW Tour christmas tree decoration. It has Space Mountains logo on it.
Hong Kongs Space Mountain.

Wait wait hold the phone - Mr Smith - I thought every plan was to disassemble the BAH in every Plan, so the plans have changed again? Urghhh ...

bethymouse

View attachment 28364
ew

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom