Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Phil12

FWIW, the Chinese Theater is 90 feet tall and Sleeping Beauty Castle is only 75. Memories are tricky, but I doubt you could clearly see SBC from all over DIsneyland.

I'm not trying pick a fight; my point is that everyone loves SBC as the icon of DIsneyland, but the Chinese Theater (whether previously intended to be an icon or not) could just as easily be the icon. Icons should be iconic, not just visible.
I agree. You can't see SBC from all over DL. Nor can you see the various other park icons from all over their respective parks. Nevertheless you can see and recognize parts of the icons from great distances in various parts of each park. The only part of the Chinese theater that is recognizable at a distance is the main entrance (i.e. the Chinese pagoda). And it is only readily recognizable from the front. As the angle viewpoint of the theater widens, the theater becomes less and less recognizable. From the sides and the back the theater is unrecognizable. Unlike the Chinese theater the other park icons are immediately recognizable from any angle. But I think we're in agreement that it's not the park icon anyway so it doesn't really matter.

DHS was a rush job and it's rather obvious from the way things were thrown together. Perhaps with the upcoming overhaul they'll remedy some of my concerns.

NormC

I hope you realize that those photos actually tend to disprove your point because they were taken with different lenses. The photo on the left was taken with a long focus telephoto lens. The foreground and the background is compressed and it makes the Chinese theater appear to be bigger. If you compare the other buildings along Hollywood Blvd. between the two photos you'll notice that all the buildings in the left photo are bigger than those in the right photo. Also, the compression is so great in the left photo that two of the buildings in the right photo have been compressed out of existence!

What these photos try to do is make people believe that the Chinese theater is a prominent landmark in the park. In reality, the Chinese theater is barely noticeable to the naked eye from the entrance to DHS .
Actually no. If you look at the picture on the right you can see the top of the theater. Now imagine the hat out of the way. Yay!!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
FWIW, the Chinese Theater is 90 feet tall and Sleeping Beauty Castle is only 75. Memories are tricky, but I doubt you could clearly see SBC from all over DIsneyland.

I'm not trying pick a fight; my point is that everyone loves SBC as the icon of DIsneyland, but the Chinese Theater (whether previously intended to be an icon or not) could just as easily be the icon. Icons should be iconic, not just visible.

I think it has more to do with it still being the Chinese Theater, the name and likeness that is. Much in the same way the name of the park MGM needed to be adjusted as it became an issue as years went on. Disney changing out the films now isn't just to refresh or refurbish the Theater. Making it the icon while it isn't really a Disney original creation is problematic. Getting rid of Sid's was also not just to make room for a MDE FP+ outlet. It is just a better idea to revert back to the Earful Tower with the removal of the hat no matter how pretty the theater is.

Brad Bishop

I love the hat and ill miss it!!! Wish they were moving it somewhere at least, like Magic Kingdom...its to iconic to just let it go!

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll place it here:
Google_Maps.jpg

...as a temporary measure, of course - maybe just 10-15 years or so...

Goofyernmost

gotta keep the rain off of 'partners' somehow...
Perfect. The big ole hat sitting right over the top of both Walt and Mickey. What perfect symbolism that would be. And then 10 or so years from now people will complain if they take it down and all they can see from Main Street is that stupid castle. What's a castle doing on the end of Main Street anyway. Talk about your theme faux pas. Here is the chance to fix their terrible mistake.

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

Perfect. The big ole hat sitting right over the top of both Walt and Mickey. What perfect symbolism that would be. And then 10 or so years from now people will complain if the take it down and all they can see from Main Street is that stupid castle. What's a castle doing on the end of Main Street anyway. Talk about your theme faux pas. Here is the chance to fix their terrible mistake.
Post of the day! Can we like this more then once!!!

Magenta Panther

Perfect. The big ole hat sitting right over the top of both Walt and Mickey. What perfect symbolism that would be. And then 10 or so years from now people will complain if the take it down and all they can see from Main Street is that stupid castle. What's a castle doing on the end of Main Street anyway. Talk about your theme faux pas. Here is the chance to fix their terrible mistake.

Sarcasm-Is-The-Best-Thing-Ever.png

:D

Brad Bishop

Perfect. The big ole hat sitting right over the top of both Walt and Mickey. What perfect symbolism that would be. And then 10 or so years from now people will complain if they take it down and all they can see from Main Street is that stupid castle. What's a castle doing on the end of Main Street anyway. Talk about your theme faux pas. Here is the chance to fix their terrible mistake.

No - look closer at the map. I have the BAH dead up against the castle just like how it is at HS.
You may be able to sneak around the back and look up for a glimpse of the castle. The positioning is important.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom