Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Goofyernmost

I hope you realize that those photos actually tend to disprove your point because they were taken with different lenses. The photo on the left was taken with a long focus telephoto lens. The foreground and the background is compressed and it makes the Chinese theater appear to be bigger. If you compare the other buildings along Hollywood Blvd. between the two photos you'll notice that all the buildings in the left photo are bigger than those in the right photo. Also, the compression is so great in the left photo that two of the buildings in the right photo have been compressed out of existence!

What these photos try to do is make people believe that the Chinese theater is a prominent landmark in the park. In reality, the Chinese theater is barely noticeable to the naked eye from the entrance to DHS .
Actually... no! The way the picture of the theater is shown is how you would see it as you first walk in. The theater was never, never, ever thought of as the Icon of the park. The Earful Tower was the first one. However having the theater as a sightline when you first entered made for a better theme and a very pleasant view as you came into the park. In fact if either one is exaggerated, it would be the picture with the hat in it. But, I don't think that one was either.

Last edited:

Phil12

I don't care about camera lenses. That argument is invalid. If I stand at the end of the street and stare in that direction with my squishy eyeballs I'd rather see the theater and not the BAH.
Me too! The camera lens deception is just an old school fake used by people who think of themselves as purists. Perhaps they'll move Gertie the Dinosaur over in front of the theater or have rotating exhibits. Also I'm really liking the idea of locating the water tower in that area. With all the recent news reports about the Sony Studios hack, the image most often shown on TV is of their water tower:

upload_2014-12-20_20-51-44.jpeg

In addition they could build a huge water tower in the center of the park and yet have it be a massive roller coaster similar to the SkyPlex. This solves one of DHS major problems of expansion room. We all know that the park is limited in size so why not build a new E-ticket in vertical space:

This way the park gets its icon and a new E-ticket all in one!

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The theater was never, never, ever thought of as the Icon of the park. The Earful Tower was the first one. It, however, the theater made for a better theme and a very pleasant view as you entered the park.

Yep. All the merchandise I have prior to the Hat was of the earful tower. The merchandise I have with 3 parks had the earful tower too. Nothing I have indicates the theater was the icon of the studios. My book collection also supports your thoughts.

I am anxious again to see the theater as I enter the park. I thought the Hat was a cute novelty, I never expected it to hang around like the Epcot wand did. I thought the Hat was going to be like the Castle being a Birthday Cake, gone in under 2 years.

Cmdr_Crimson

Yep. All the merchandise I have prior to the Hat was of the earful tower. The merchandise I have with 3 parks had the earful tower too. Nothing I have indicates the theater was the icon of the studios. My book collection also supports your thoughts.

I am anxious again to see the theater as I enter the park. I thought the Hat was a cute novelty, I never expected it to hang around like the Epcot wand did. I thought the Hat was going to be like the Castle being a Birthday Cake, gone in under 2 years.

The only thing they ever show it on is on the Garbage can with...Of course the Earful Tower in the Distance...
7136601407_0fe467b7a9_z.jpg

One thing that would be nice is utilizing the area of the Earful Tower is making a little garden walkway area with new lighting if they decide to reach to that area for the gutting of the Backlot area...
image_mgmsocerershat4.jpg

Gabe1

The only thing they ever show it on is on the Garbage can with...Of course the Earful Tower in the Distance...
7136601407_0fe467b7a9_z.jpg

One thing that would be nice is utilizing the area of the Earful Tower is making a little garden walkway area with new lighting if they decide to reach to that area for the gutting of the Backlot area...
image_mgmsocerershat4.jpg

I like the way you think!

There are all sort of garbage cans themed to specific areas and attractions, not park icons but I've seen some pretty creative ones considering they are just trash cans.
tumblr_lh6gyqwEui1qzi27yo1_500.jpg

3978474358_cbb51d4c10_b.jpg

4104154447_810474ae00_z.jpg

Adventureland-trash-can-shaker1.jpg

8235537851_91a0d4c566.jpg

4099018263_2922ecb957_b.jpg
3978210110_39664557bd_b.jpg
3977360735_274d3e2dd2_b.jpg

I have not payed attention in a while, next trip. Last one I noticed was the Test Track 2.0 one.

Cesar R M

Me too! The camera lens deception is just an old school fake used by people who think of themselves as purists. Perhaps they'll move Gertie the Dinosaur over in front of the theater or have rotating exhibits. Also I'm really liking the idea of locating the water tower in that area. With all the recent news reports about the Sony Studios hack, the image most often shown on TV is of their water tower:

View attachment 77113

In addition they could build a huge water tower in the center of the park and yet have it be a massive roller coaster similar to the SkyPlex. This solves one of DHS major problems of expansion room. We all know that the park is limited in size so why not build a new E-ticket in vertical space:

This way the park gets its icon and a new E-ticket all in one!

theme the ride as animaniacs or Roger rabbit (inside the water tower)

Gabe1

Back in 2007 there were many of these R2-D2 mailboxes in various parts of the USA.

If you used these USPS Jedi Master mailboxes the force would deliver your mail. :)

There was one at Navy Pier Chicago. Replaced by Minion's last Spring.

tmstephe

I can distinctly remember my first trip to Disneyland way back in the 1960's and Sleeping Beauty Castle was an easy landmark to find from most locations within the park. The same thing is true of the other park icons at WDW. It's my opinion that DHS will need to find another icon for the park (after the BAH is gone) because the Chinese theater just doesn't serve as a good visible landmark.

FWIW, the Chinese Theater is 90 feet tall and Sleeping Beauty Castle is only 75. Memories are tricky, but I doubt you could clearly see SBC from all over DIsneyland.

I'm not trying pick a fight; my point is that everyone loves SBC as the icon of DIsneyland, but the Chinese Theater (whether previously intended to be an icon or not) could just as easily be the icon. Icons should be iconic, not just visible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom