Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Rob562

Since Fantastic's biological clock is ticking and BAH is being demolished, can we see the original version of Sorcery in the Sky make a glorious return?

Doubtful. Pretty much all of the infrastructure for Sorcery has been removed, including the entire platforms structures for the central fan launchers behind the Chinese Theater facade and the platform for the inflatable Mickey.

There's also the matter of the fallout zone for the show. It takes up essentially the entire area behind the Theater, including all of Pixar Place. When the park first opened it wasn't a big deal since all of that was backstage anyway, and any Guests in the area were indoors on the walking portion of the Backlot Tour. Even after they opened the back of the park to Guest foot traffic it still wasn't a big deal to rope off parts of the back of the park in the evening similar to how the close off the area immediately behind the Castle for Wishes.

But if they were to do that today, they'd have to shut down TSMM for hours every night they showed Sorcery so that they could cycle through the Guests in the queue and clear them from the fallout zone.

So in short, I wouldn't expect to see Sorcery in its original incarnation ever coming back to the Studios. Even if they ran it like the MK and had the launch site well behind the center of the park, back in the now-closed Backlot Tour, the fallout zone (especially the larger pyro that the additional distance and height would require) would probably extend onto World Drive, which they can't close down every night like they can Floridian Way behind the MK.

-Rob

Kman101

Six years later (by next year) after the start of this thread and FINALLY the hat will come down. Almost sad how long a DHS refresh has been on the shelf/off-the-shelf for this long.

FlaMel

I would be shocked if they did this during the day. Considering they have to have equipment right in the middle of the park, I can see that being done after hours. I suppose that they could take some of it down, pile it up and remove it after hours, but, that seems like many added steps.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned and may be worthy of thought. We are all assuming that they are going to remove the hat and we will have the open view once again, however, do we know for sure that nothing else will be sitting there? They use that area for stages right now. What's to stop them from placing a stage in the middle and leaving it there. Since, technically, a stage is not a permanent structure and does not attach to any foundation, they wouldn't need a permit to put one there. Just leave the wheels on it and it is labeled moveable.

Maybe we are jumping from the fry pan into the fire on this one. I can envision a whole bunch of staging for lighting (since power runs to it already) that is ugly and possibly even worse then the BAH. I am certainly hoping that this is not the case, but, it sure seems more then possible to me.
Stages still have to be permitted by the RCID and are limited to 90 day installations. It is possible to appeal to the RCID and get an extension on the 90 days.
However, I believe you are correct in the fact that the stages will continue to be built in the plaza from time to time, to support holidays, events, etc.

jrh1985

Stages still have to be permitted by the RCID and are limited to 90 day installations. It is possible to appeal to the RCID and get an extension on the 90 days.
However, I believe you are correct in the fact that the stages will continue to be built in the plaza from time to time, to support holidays, events, etc.
Forgive me if I'm not following you but, are you saying that stages can't stay in one place forever? Then how does WDW get around with the castle stage, america gardens, and theatre of the stars?

jrh1985

found out today that the full compliment of search lights will be returning (upgraded) to the theater as well..... Martin may explode at this point
That sounds Wonderful!!! Any chance the searchlights willl go into pyro shows? Maybe a return of Sorcery In The Sky? Aren't some TCM movies in there? the DHS 25th show might work too.

Goofyernmost

Forgive me if I'm not following you but, are you saying that stages can't stay in one place forever? Then how does WDW get around with the castle stage, america gardens, and theatre of the stars?
Please remember that the Reedy Creek organization is just a misleading name for Disney. They give themselves a permit to do whatever they want too.

lazyboy97o

Type of structure is what makes it temporary, not its use.

Please remember that the Reedy Creek organization is just a misleading name for Disney. They give themselves a permit to do whatever they want too.
Codes must still be followed otherwise Disney would risk the state dissolving the Improvement District.

JediMasterMatt

found out today that the full compliment of search lights will be returning (upgraded) to the theater as well..... Martin may explode at this point

Hat gone... lights back...

I can't believe I'm saying this... thanks Ted Turner. My camera will be ready for the triumphant return of the search lights.

I have a feeling the search lights may be beneficial in the next few years as a reminder that DHS is still open for business. It's a strategy that has worked for many strip malls and car lots for decades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom